Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Suzuki LT160 that will not start

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 02:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suzuki LT160 that will not start

Hi, I have 1990 Suzuki LT160 that will not start when cold but after I pull it and get it started and warm/hot it will start every time and run great unless I stop it and it cools off. Its been doing this for two years and I am getting tired of pull starting it. Here is what I have tried.
(Not in the order listed)
Cleaned out gas tank and put in fresh gas twice.
Replaced fuel line and shut off valve.
Rebuilt carburetor 3 times.
Replaced carburetor with brand new one.
Replaced and gapped sparkplug three times.
Replaced choke cable.
Cleaned and re-oiled air filter three times.
Replaced throttle cable (it broke)
One thing I noticed when trying to start it is a little bit of gas comes back out of the carburetor where the air filter connects and when I put my hand over the air intake it sucks and blows when trying to start it, is this normal?
I am on a fixed income so I can’t afford to take it to a dealer and be charged to evaluate what is wrong and then be charged for repairs.
I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions as I am at a loss for what to do.
Thanks, Roid

Old 07-01-2005, 05:31 AM
Quad Patrol

Welcome to the forum[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Sounds like a problem we had on our '03 LT160[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] we found the culprit to be the throttle needle(I believe that what it's called) was sticking. Which caused the carb to flood[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Seeing you worked the carb over 3 times[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] and replaced it with a new one[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] It would take care of the problem, but maybe you need to adjust the height of the needle. I'd have to break the manual out tommorrow and look what it says.

Speaking of manuals[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Do you have one? It is worth it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Especially when on a fixed income.

Old 07-01-2005, 09:45 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Sounds like the clearance on the intake valve is too tight. The part about the carb spitting, and that it sux and blows.
The intake valve is slightly off its seat, and wont close completely. If you do a compression test, youll see its probably way down.
Should be a simple and free fix.
I was just out in moab, last week...hot but beautiful....you guys that live in that state are lucky.

Old 07-01-2005, 03:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

I don’t have a manual for it though I am saving for it, I think I can order one in about 3 weeks. My brother-in-law is going to be in town for the 4th of July and said he would adjust the valves if I could get the specs? I am not sure how to do it or what I need to know. If anyone could tell me what the specs are and what my brother-in-law needs tool wise I would appreciate it
Thanks Roid
P.S. I have been on most of the trails in northern Utah in the last 10 years but never been to Moab it is high on my list of places to go when I can afford it. Seems like everyone loves it there, hopefully next year.

Old 07-01-2005, 10:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Ive found that most of the big libraries, have lots of service manuals...they are in the 629.2 section of non fiction. But i havent got the specs for the valves.
heres an articles on valve adjusting, for motorcycles, and its basicly the same for quads.
adjust valves

Old 07-02-2005, 04:06 AM
Quad Patrol

Here's your valve clearance specifications:

intake: 0.03 - 0.08mm (0.001 - 0.003 in)

exhaust: 0.05 - 0.010mm (0.002 - 0.004 in)

If you need more info, let me know. rescue

Old 07-02-2005, 05:39 AM
Pro Rider

How about compression, have you checked it with a gauge yet?

Old 07-04-2005, 02:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well I did it. My brother-in-law did not show to help me with it so I gave it a shot. With the help of some great people in this forum I got the specifications, a book from the library, studied a referenced website and adjusted the valves (yes they were tight).
Before I put all the stuff back tighter I just set the gas tank on it and hooked up the fuel line and hit the starter button and before I could get my thumb on the throttle it was running at an idle it was great!!!!!!! Even sounds better. I just need to bolt the tank on and put the rest of it back together and I am back in business with a little more power to I hope as a bonus. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
The only thing I did not do was check the compression as I don’t have a gauge hopefully in the future.

A BIG Thank you to all that helped me with information and advice. I hope I can return the favor some day.
Paul

Old 07-04-2005, 02:46 AM
Quad Patrol

Congradulations[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] It does feel good to do accomplish something new. The forums are a great way to seek help and encouragement.

Old 07-04-2005, 10:51 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Thats great.
Dont bother with the compression test...if it fires right up, it has plenty.
You did a good job of giving information in your original post...that makes it easier to help you.
Welcome to the forums.