Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

HELP ME PLEASE:

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2000, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I HAVE TWO STRIPED LUG NUTS ON MY BACK RIGHT RIM. I NEED HELP TO GET THEM OFF PLEASE ANY HELP WILL DO.
THANKS

Old 10-13-2000, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

OK, Mudman, relax... Breath deep... Now, what happened? Is it the nuts that are stripped or is it the studs?
Chuck, Suzuki KQ 300, GPS & lunch...

Old 10-13-2000, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

it is the acually nuts that hold the wheel on

Old 10-13-2000, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider

Cold chisel and hammer come to mind; however, I hope you receive some easier and more convenient suggestions.

Diogenes

Old 10-13-2000, 10:40 PM
Range Rover

Mudman,

A hammer and cold chisel is so... how shall I say it... Neanderthal! There are several more sophisticated ways to tackle this problem. Attend the following:

1). Sometimes the threads are only stripped in one spot and it is still possible to remove the nut by wedging a thin-bladed screwdriver between the underside of the nut and whatever it is attached to. Once you have done that, twist the screwdriver so as to put outward pressure on the nut, then try slowly turning the nut with a wrench to see if you can get it to "bite" on an undamaged thread. If it "bites", there is a good chance the nut can simply be unscrewed.

2). If the screwdriver method fails or can not be employed, then the Moto Dremel method can be tried. If you have a Moto Dremel tool, you can buy high-speed cutoff wheels for it. With a great deal of patience, and lots of cutoff wheels (they crack and fly apart with the least misalignment), you can successfully slice the nut away from the stud.

I used this method to remove a frozen nut from the fairing of my Kawasaki Concours street bike. On the Concours it is necessary to drop the fairing belly pan to change the oil filter. One of the fairing nuts became frozen, and after removing the rest of the fairing nuts to gain as much access as possible, I spent several hours very carefully slicing the offending nut off of the screw. As you can well imagine, a hammer and cold chisel would have destroyed a very expensive fairing panel long before any progress could be made in removing the frozen nut.

3). Sears sells a dandy little tool called a "nut cracker". It is a hardened metal loop with an attached heavy-duty screw drive, which forces the nut against a hardened anvil at the far side of the loop. As you compress the nut by turning the screw drive with a wrench, it ultimately cracks the nut in half.

My nut cracker (purchased nearly 30 years ago) is still on its first anvil (you don't have to use it often, but when you do it's worth every penny). It measures about 4-3/4 inches long and it comfortably fits inside the wheel and over the lug nut of my '96 Kawasaki Bayou with plenty of room left over to turn the screw drive with an open-end wrench (I tried the fit before recommending this method). I would think you should have no problem with a similar size nut cracker fitting inside the wheel of your King Quad.

One of these three methods will most likely solve your problem without the need to technologically retrogress several tens of thousands of years. When you have finally removed the offending nut, you will of course want to replace both the nut and the stud to preclude further problems.

Army Man

Old 10-13-2000, 10:46 PM
Elite Pro Rider

How about finding an old socket that barely slips/pecks over the nut and some type of metal epoxy (JB weld?)? Next, mix the epoxy and apply it to the nut and inside the socket, let it set up overnight, and hope you get lucky the next day (don't get crazy with too much epoxy or you will have that stuff all over your wheel). Just my suggestion! Good luck!

Old 10-13-2000, 11:15 PM
Range Rover

easy fix if you have a air compresser and impact take a socket(6 sided if you have one but 12 will work)that will barely fit on the sockett and put it on the impact wrench and try to get it off with that and if that dont work take a socket that dont want to go on very good and take a hammer and hit it on to the sockett then take the impact wrench and use it to get it off.
i do this all the time when i strip the lug nuts on my fourwheeler.

Old 10-14-2000, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

Assuming the threads are what is stripped, you may be able to use an air chisel, and punch the studs out the back end. I'd have spare studs handy.

Old 10-14-2000, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

2 words: hot wrench, get it???

Old 10-14-2000, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

So, there you are! By now you have the two nuts off the wheel and tomorrow you can go riding again. And my grandson will be over here, to ride his training wheels, which I will have to hold as he peddles, so he won't fall over. Just a little encouragement. Hope it worked...
Chuck, Suzuki KQ 300, GPS & lunch... :0)

Quick Reply: HELP ME PLEASE: