Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

vinson 500 big problem help plz

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005 | 04:10 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default vinson 500 big problem help plz

Hi everyone i am new to this, first my name is al i am 20 male from north ridgeville ohio i just bought my atv and got about 160mi on it, I changed the oil and took it easy on the thing for the first 100 mi then got a little harder on it.

Anyways i was riding the other day and i was going throw alot of mud and water and the thing was getting covered in water, well then i hit a huge like pond and water came up to the seat and the thing stalled! It started rate up no problems i dont think water got into the exhast but not sure, the air box was empty and the thing was running a little ruff so i just rode around for like a min longer and all of a sudden the thing would not go faster then like 5mph and was backfiring and missing like crazy!

So i decided to just let it idle for a little bit say 10 min and it would idle great, Then it you hit the gas a little it would idle up and tiny bit and then totally bog out and if i pushed all the way it would almost die but didnt, So i tried riding like that and the fastest i could go was about 5 mph in 1st gear with it floored! I tried running the chock for a sec and it ran a little better and could idle and drive a little faster but i know i couldnt ride like that so i let it sit for a while like 30 min then started rate up and would ride okay for about 5 min then run like crap and miss, backfire ect. so i rode around the like track for about 8 miles doing about 30-50 mph after it sat and it would do okay some of the time and sometimes it would backfire and miss? Then it was last so i went home,

Well today i pulled the plug to find that it was really brown! I changed the plug checked all the lines, fuel, air ect. that i could see everything looks good, Still it would idle great but as soon as you hit the gas it would bog out and back fire miss, the thing will only go 2-5 mph and it wont go over hilly aera only flat! So i dont know and i am totally lost, i tried everything i could think of and read today!

The only thing i can think is maybe the engine is done? Water in gas? Missed a clogged line, Or jets or fuel setting cloged! So if someone will be willing to try to help me or give me pointers that would be great! So this is so long but i figured i would let it all out and go from there! Plus its driving me crazy i been working on this thing for about 13hrs stright now between reading online and trying things? Okay well let me know what you think or know, Also thanks in advance!

Thanks, AL

Old 07-22-2005 | 02:50 PM
Pro Rider

You need to check your carbs. This happened to mine and it was a clogged main jet. Check your jets.

Old 07-22-2005 | 03:46 PM
2c3
Pro Rider

proly dum ? but did you check and make sure theres no water in your oil. if no water got in your airbox there shouldnt be any in your carb. is it still under warranty and if it is make sure theres no water in the oli and take it in. if not i would take the carb off and take the bowl off. spray carb cleaner thru all the jets and if anything is stopped up that will fix it. i thought you had a cracked plug but you said you changed it. pull all the fuses out under the seat one by one and make sure there all dry and not blown. let us know when you find what the problem is

Old 07-22-2005 | 04:04 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: alfieferenzo84
Hi everyone i am new to this, first my name is al i am 20 male from north ridgeville ohio i just bought my atv and got about 160mi on it, I changed the oil and took it easy on the thing for the first 100 mi then got a little harder on it.

Anyways i was riding the other day and i was going throw alot of mud and water and the thing was getting covered in water, well then i hit a huge like pond and water came up to the seat and the thing stalled! It started rate up no problems i dont think water got into the exhast but not sure, the air box was empty and the thing was running a little ruff so i just rode around for like a min longer and all of a sudden the thing would not go faster then like 5mph and was backfiring and missing like crazy!

So i decided to just let it idle for a little bit say 10 min and it would idle great, Then it you hit the gas a little it would idle up and tiny bit and then totally bog out and if i pushed all the way it would almost die but didnt, So i tried riding like that and the fastest i could go was about 5 mph in 1st gear with it floored! I tried running the chock for a sec and it ran a little better and could idle and drive a little faster but i know i couldnt ride like that so i let it sit for a while like 30 min then started rate up and would ride okay for about 5 min then run like crap and miss, backfire ect. so i rode around the like track for about 8 miles doing about 30-50 mph after it sat and it would do okay some of the time and sometimes it would backfire and miss? Then it was last so i went home,

Well today i pulled the plug to find that it was really brown! I changed the plug checked all the lines, fuel, air ect. that i could see everything looks good, Still it would idle great but as soon as you hit the gas it would bog out and back fire miss, the thing will only go 2-5 mph and it wont go over hilly aera only flat! So i dont know and i am totally lost, i tried everything i could think of and read today!

The only thing i can think is maybe the engine is done? Water in gas? Missed a clogged line, Or jets or fuel setting cloged! So if someone will be willing to try to help me or give me pointers that would be great! So this is so long but i figured i would let it all out and go from there! Plus its driving me crazy i been working on this thing for about 13hrs stright now between reading online and trying things? Okay well let me know what you think or know, Also thanks in advance!

Thanks, AL

Hey there, I did the same thing to my sp 500, definatley a carb issue as ridinlcwa says.It doesn't take much to gum up a carb

Old 07-22-2005 | 05:45 PM
Pro Rider

I didn't have much time to respond earlier and want to expand my comments. The EXACT same experience happened to me about a month ago. I was riding in the dunes and all of a sudden power went out on the machine. I couldn't even get enough juice going to move the quad in the sand. Putting the choke on full helped (it dumps more fuel into the carb). When I got it back to camp and took it apart, there was something stuck in the main jet. I took the jet out and blew out the obstruction. It's a very simple procedure. Now that I know what it feels like, it only takes about 20 minuts to get to the carb, clean the jet and put everything back together. A dealer friend indicated that it is not necessary to remove the carb to get to the underside and the jet -- just loosen the clamps and turn the carb. I took mine off and put it back on -- seemed the best for me. Next time, I'll try it without taking the carb off.

This incident has also encouraged me to buy an in-line fuel filter to put in between the tank and the carb. On the Vinson there is a metal screen insided the control assemblage, but it apparently does not filter out everything. I was lucky to be in a place where a friend could tow me out of dunes. Had I been down a big gully or down a big hiill, I would have been in serious trouble. A fuel filter should have prevented the clogged jet from occuring.

Good luck.

Old 07-22-2005 | 07:28 PM
Trailblazer

I had a vinson do that. It turned out to be water in the gas and carb. I would drain the tank and carb completely and put some new fuel in it.

Old 07-23-2005 | 12:31 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the help! Okay today i did what most of you all said, Took the carb off cleaned it, drained the gas, checked wires and put grese on stuff, replaced the lean looking plug, Put extra gresse in the plug boot, Put sum carb cleaner stuff in the tank, changed the oil, And started the atv, runs great everything is good!

But then i went ridin a little and after a half of hr of going up and down hills going through water about 1-18 inch deep the thing started acting up again! But this time its just bogging out, No backfire, no missing just totally bogs out then dies when you hit the gas, Now if you hit it soft it will going maybe 1 mph but jumps then stops, chock helps alittle but not much!

So after getting pulled back and looking over the atv, it starts rate up and idle great just cant hit the gas! Now i was leaning down a noticed that the spark plug wire is arking all over looks kinda bluish, and orangish color lol I pulled the plug and its browish gold on the insaltor, The rest of it has a little oil on it, Never looked like that before, Oil comes rate off so i wiped it all off, Anyways thats the 3rd plug in 2 days lol First one was brown, 2nd lean, 3rd bownish gold with a little wet oil but its really liquidy?

So with all that what do you all think is going on now? Is the wire just bad? Is the carb clogged up again? Im totally lost and really getting tried of this!!! I think i might call the dealer tomarrow but i dont want to spend money so i am willing to try anything, I am really good with this stuff so let me know what you all think i should do! Thanks, Al

Old 07-23-2005 | 09:48 AM
2c3
Pro Rider

you have a bad plug wire or its not on tight on the coil side. it should not arc at all. thats your problem. i hope you have no gas leaks[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 07-23-2005 | 11:16 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks is there a way to adjust it? Thanks,AL

Old 07-23-2005 | 02:00 PM
2c3
Pro Rider

i dont know what you mean by adjusting it. i just looked at mine and i cranked it up and no arcing. i even put my hand around plug wire and it didnt shock me so i know its not arcing. there is to wires other than the plug wire on the coil. 1 comes from the coil the other goes out. make sure there on tight. check the one coming out of the coil where it plugs to another wire. if your plug wire isnt bad and those wires are tight your coil is most likely cracked. it looks like to me even if the plug wire is bad you have to replace the coil because the plug wire is made in it. maybe its just a loose wire.

Quick Reply: vinson 500 big problem help plz