Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Gas for z 400

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 11:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas for z 400

Thanks
My cousin who i bought it from always ran 93 and i thought it didnt run the greatest didnt idle very good i thought then i just started using fuel from the farm tank and i thought it idles better.Maybe i ll just use 89 or add fuel cleaners Thanks.

Old 07-27-2005, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default Gas for z 400

Super (93) is best for your engine but if you use Regular (87) it wont really hurt your engine either just a matter of how much $$$ you have where i live its like 3 bucks a gallon[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 07-27-2005, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default Gas for z 400

Yeah I always run the highest octane in my bike too!

Old 07-28-2005, 05:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Gas for z 400

anything less of 93 will ping on an older engine

Old 07-28-2005, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default Gas for z 400

I would run a 91 or higher. I run a mixture of 110 and 91oct in mine

Old 07-29-2005, 01:05 AM
Trailblazer
Default Gas for z 400

man i will have to try that 93 octane from what i have read it will open your engine abit more the regular.

Old 07-29-2005, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gas for z 400

There is no difference in additives between the different octanes. Take a look at your local gas stations and see how many tanks they have to store fuel. I'll bet you find more than one that have only 2 tanks, one for regular(87) and one for super(93). They use a blend valve to get mid grade(89). So are they combining crappy 87 with great 93 to make ok 89? No. With your experiment if you see any dirt or debris or impurities then I suggest switching brands or stations, cause that should not happen. Any fuel left over time is gonna break down especially race gas!! The only things that make fuel break down is light, air, moisture, contaminents and time. The best octane to run is the lowest that your motor will allow. By that I mean smooth power, no detonating or pre ignition. Manufacturers recommend running Super for one reason, all motors can run it with no issues. They just CYA with that statement....
Not totally true. As you said the super and the regular are in different tanks, so there you have it. The plus will then still have the addatives that the super contains right? And no Super DOES NOT break down like regular. You are obviously not speaking from experience. Regular will form a ring of water at the top in almost no time at all.

And as far as impurities goes, you can't see them with your eyes, really, but they are there and they are too big by comparison. They leave combustion residue that super does not.

Old 07-29-2005, 05:15 PM
Trailblazer
Default Gas for z 400

SS97 good stuff you know your stuff "in chemical words" i do agreee with you because with expirence of me going from regular to super that super is better.But quick question you know those lil packets you put into the gas that boost up the octane can i use that is it a waste just curious?

Old 07-29-2005, 05:35 PM
Quad Patrol
Default Gas for z 400

You guys must have some really suped up 400s[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] the manual that came with the bike says to run 87 octane. From my real world experience, if you start getting the "diesel" effect, then, jump to the next octane level. Now, if you've done some decent mods to it, you might need to jump up your octane. Outside of those scenerios, your just pouring money down the tail pipe[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

As far as the 400ex, IIRC, Honda recommends a high octane to be burned in it.

Old 07-29-2005, 06:02 PM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gas for z 400

Originally posted by: ss97

There is no difference in additives between the different octanes. Take a look at your local gas stations and see how many tanks they have to store fuel. I'll bet you find more than one that have only 2 tanks, one for regular(87) and one for super(93). They use a blend valve to get mid grade(89). So are they combining crappy 87 with great 93 to make ok 89? No. With your experiment if you see any dirt or debris or impurities then I suggest switching brands or stations, cause that should not happen. Any fuel left over time is gonna break down especially race gas!! The only things that make fuel break down is light, air, moisture, contaminents and time. The best octane to run is the lowest that your motor will allow. By that I mean smooth power, no detonating or pre ignition. Manufacturers recommend running Super for one reason, all motors can run it with no issues. They just CYA with that statement....
Not totally true. As you said the super and the regular are in different tanks, so there you have it. The plus will then still have the addatives that the super contains right? And no Super DOES NOT break down like regular. You are obviously not speaking from experience. Regular will form a ring of water at the top in almost no time at all.

And as far as impurities goes, you can't see them with your eyes, really, but they are there and they are too big by comparison. They leave combustion residue that super does not.
So I guess you're a chemist by trade? I didn't think so. The Super and Regular are in different tanks because of octane ratings, not additives or impurities. The only time you will see additives in anything is in detergent gasolines, which I wouldn't run off road because of foaming issues. The lower octane burns before the higher octane that's why you get pinging. Try running lower octane fuel and see if you feel a difference. You won't unless you have a built motor and I'll bet nine out of ten times you'll get better mileage. As for mixing race gas and lower octane fuel it's a waste unless you are a chemist and know the precise mixture to optimize performance. Run one or the other. As for a water ring at the top that is from built up moisture(condensation) formed in the container, not the fuel. If you have water in the fuel you'd see it long before it sitting for your test, as we all know water and gas don't mix. All this is just like the break in procedure everyone has a different opinion on what's best, easy or hard? You run what you like and I'll run what I like, for me that's the best running least expensive fuel I can find and that's in all my vehicles and toys. And no I'm not a chemist either, but I played one on TV once[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]