Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Gas for z 400

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 09:46 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gas for z 400

So I guess you're a chemist by trade? I didn't think so. The Super and Regular are in different tanks because of octane ratings, not additives or impurities. The only time you will see additives in anything is in detergent gasolines, which I wouldn't run off road because of foaming issues. The lower octane burns before the higher octane that's why you get pinging. Try running lower octane fuel and see if you feel a difference. You won't unless you have a built motor and I'll bet nine out of ten times you'll get better mileage. As for mixing race gas and lower octane fuel it's a waste unless you are a chemist and know the precise mixture to optimize performance. Run one or the other. As for a water ring at the top that is from built up moisture(condensation) formed in the container, not the fuel. If you have water in the fuel you'd see it long before it sitting for your test, as we all know water and gas don't mix. All this is
First of all you don't need to be a chemist to understand this, second I'm not taking about condensation, I'm talking about fuel and water seperation. There is an amount of water in all fuels, comes with the ground that way. Didn't you ever see those little bottle of red liquid on the shelf at your autoparts store that say "fuel stabilizer" well that's what its main job is, keeping the water and the gas together. And also, all fuels have detergents now.

And you are 100% wrong that I would get better milage with regular. I've been doing the comparison to prove this point to people for 15 years with everything from lawnmower to trucks. You may not notice the difference right away, but stick with it over time and every engine will eventually get better fuel milage with super. My Father and I have been arguing about it for years, and no matter what data I show him he still uses regular because it "works better in his stuff". So I well know that everyone will use what they want no matter what.

But you make no sense, you say "regular burns faster that's why you get pinging" which is true, than you go on to say there is no difference. Do you want pinging? This is not a good thing, pinging is very bad for an engine. My wifes Ford Taurus will ping up hills with regular in it, I put super in and it goes away and it gets better fuel economy. So is that not better for the engine?

You can't have it both ways.

And incidentally I may not be a chemist but I do work for Ford, and I have worked for Exxon and Gulf Oil so I've been around fuels, oils and engines just about my whole working life. My friend Brian (w'sup BBB) who worked with me at Exxon and Gulf will tell you the exact same things if you ever ask him about fuels. I say this stuff from years of experince, not because I was told it, or read it in a book. It's from real world practical experince from a variety or angles. And as you said, you will go on using what you use, as will eveyone. But if I've saved just one person............., just one............from the evils of regular grade gasoline, than I can carry on knowing I have saved one soul from a lifetime bad gas............. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]