Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Gas for z 400

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 09:17 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas for z 400

What type of gas should i run.Stock except pipe.Heard it neefds premium but dont no y>What should i run.If so could i run regular and add octane booster?thanks

Old 07-26-2005, 11:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Gas for z 400

87, 89, or 93 will work fine. The manual says a minimum of 87 octane.

Old 07-27-2005, 12:29 AM
Quad Patrol
Default Gas for z 400

I run 87 octane in mine and haven't had any problems[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I only have a k&n filter on it. So, no need for more octane, due to performance parts.

Old 07-27-2005, 03:44 AM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gas for z 400

87 should be fine. I've run everthing from 87 to race gas in all of mine and besides the smell(race gas, ahhh!) there isn't a noticeable difference. The quad will let you know if it wants higher octane.

Old 07-27-2005, 09:11 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Default Gas for z 400

Use "Super" or "Plus" at the least.

Octane ranges from 89-93 are fine, but the octane is NOT the reason super is better.

It's not the octane that makes the biggest difference, it's the refinements in the Super grades.

Supers have stabilizers which are key to ATV people who sometimes have gas sitting in a can for days weeks or even months. The super fuels are much cleaner, because they are refined so much farther. And the addatives are good for engines, especially the valve trains and combustion chambers.

The higher octane is just another benefit of the Super grade fuels, but it's not the sole reason, and it's not the main reason they are better.

There is an easy experiment you can do. Take a few ounces of both super and regular and put them in glasses and let them sit for weeks or months or a year even. You will see how unstable the regular gets over time, while the super stays much more stable and usable.

Or try this: pour a few gallons of regular through a sock, and see all the impurities that get left behind. Do the same with a high quality super and the sock stays clean.

Just like with anything else; you get what you pay for.

Old 07-27-2005, 09:26 AM
Pro Rider
Default Gas for z 400

i use regular.. whatever that is.

Old 07-27-2005, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default Gas for z 400

what??? iv never heard of running 87 the dealer told my uncle with his 400ex run the expensive stuff the 93 octane in it all the time!!! so that all he runs

i run 93octane with 109 or 116 octane buster in it my fourwheeler runs great + it burns cleaner with the higher octane gas!! less carbon build up.

On race day i get alittle VP race fuel in the engine!

Old 07-27-2005, 07:30 PM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Gas for z 400

Originally posted by: ss97
Use "Super" or "Plus" at the least.

Octane ranges from 89-93 are fine, but the octane is NOT the reason super is better.

It's not the octane that makes the biggest difference, it's the refinements in the Super grades.

Supers have stabilizers which are key to ATV people who sometimes have gas sitting in a can for days weeks or even months. The super fuels are much cleaner, because they are refined so much farther. And the addatives are good for engines, especially the valve trains and combustion chambers.

The higher octane is just another benefit of the Super grade fuels, but it's not the sole reason, and it's not the main reason they are better.

There is an easy experiment you can do. Take a few ounces of both super and regular and put them in glasses and let them sit for weeks or months or a year even. You will see how unstable the regular gets over time, while the super stays much more stable and usable.

Or try this: pour a few gallons of regular through a sock, and see all the impurities that get left behind. Do the same with a high quality super and the sock stays clean.

Just like with anything else; you get what you pay for.
There is no difference in additives between the different octanes. Take a look at your local gas stations and see how many tanks they have to store fuel. I'll bet you find more than one that have only 2 tanks, one for regular(87) and one for super(93). They use a blend valve to get mid grade(89). So are they combining crappy 87 with great 93 to make ok 89? No. With your experiment if you see any dirt or debris or impurities then I suggest switching brands or stations, cause that should not happen. Any fuel left over time is gonna break down especially race gas!! The only things that make fuel break down is light, air, moisture, contaminents and time. The best octane to run is the lowest that your motor will allow. By that I mean smooth power, no detonating or pre ignition. Manufacturers recommend running Super for one reason, all motors can run it with no issues. They just CYA with that statement....

Old 07-27-2005, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default Gas for z 400

OK I was always told that for 4 strokes the octane doesn't matter is the oxygen content? With a 2 stroke it matters what octane you are running. That is just what I have been told. Maybe I am wrong?

Old 07-27-2005, 09:05 PM
Trailblazer
Default Gas for z 400

I think the type of gas you put does make a different.I use to always put 89 in my z250 my brother told me to switch over to super and it makes it a different.It makes your biek run better because it has more octance.My tank was completley empty from a long ride so i filled it up with 93 for the next ride and i felt liek it opend up the bike a lil more.