Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

King Quad Spit Sputter

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 11:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spit Sputter

I have a 2005 King Quad 700 that I'm having a small problem with. It starts fine, idles fine, and runs out fine. But..... when going uphill, and in rocks, etc. ..... when you are in and out of the throttle, from time to time it has a "pa-pa". Kinda like it doesn't want to take the gas immediately. I didn't notice this at all until the King had about 160 miles on it. The Suzuki dealership says they can't find anything wrong and can't simulate the type riding I'm talking about. They think it may be bad gas, but I've had everything you can imagine in it. Maybe they're right and it might take a while to get it cleared out.??? Does anybody have any suggestions? Has anyone had this problem? Thanks!

Old 08-01-2005, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default King Quad Spit Sputter

I've heard a few people saying this is because it's slightly starved for fuel from the factory. I believe a Dobeck TFI will take care of this. Mine does it too every once in awhile and it's certainly nothing I'm going to worry about as it doesn't have any effect on my power. Feathering the throttle can sometimes produce the same effect.

Old 08-01-2005, 07:30 PM
Pro Rider

Mine did that a few times when I first got it, but it hasn't done it in a long time. Also mine backfired really loud quite often when I had around 100-200 miles on it but I'm almost postive it was bad gas because now I'm nearing 500 miles and it hasn't done it since then. I think that the more miles you put on the KQ the better the engine runs because it runs better now than say when I was at 150-200 miles, no spit and sputter or back firing, It's kind of like it works the bugs out it by itself so I don't think it's anything to worry about, unless your loosing power. But a Dobeck TFI would be a good mod to add if it keeps doing it.

Old 08-01-2005, 10:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your input folks. Should I go with the Dobek TFI or the Power Commander? I'm probably going to get the Twin Air filter/cage soon. By the way, I have a Big Gun slip on that I took off to see if I could get the "sputter" out. It runs about the same - just a little quieter. Is there a timing module out there yet? I, like everyone else, would like to get out of the hole quicker.

Old 08-02-2005, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

Definitely the Dobeck. Very easy to have 100% correct "jetting" as opposed to where the maps on the PC may be off a hair for your setup. UNI just released a filter for the King that is much cheaper than the TwinAir. Something to think about considering UNI is a very well-respected air filter.

Old 08-02-2005, 01:27 AM
Trailblazer

mine did it as well then the power commander fixed the prob...

Old 08-02-2005, 02:25 AM
Pro Rider

Seeing as you live in California, 700KING, I bet the PC did work. However, I've heard it's tuned for higher-altitude and may not work as well for a midwesterner like myself.

Old 08-02-2005, 12:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

I thought the injectors were self-tuning on the King Quad. The Power Commander should be good anywhere, shouldn't it? Also, is there a timing module out yet?

Old 08-02-2005, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

They're self-tuning for altitude adjustments. The mapping that was done on the PowerCommander was done at a California-level altitude. A guy in Alabama or wherever else would probably not experience good results because the maps wouldn't fit him good. No timing module out yet. When there is, believe me, you'll know about it.

Old 08-02-2005, 01:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

So for now...... I can get the Dobek, the TwinAir (or UNI), and my Big Gun pipe that I already have - and that's about it - right? I live in central Kentucky and the altitude in town here is about 985 '. The mountains that we ride in are around 1500'. I think I like the Dobek for simplicity sake. By the way, I am pretty computer savy. But who's gonna pack their laptop out into the woods?!! I just really want that ocassional pa-pa out of this thing. Tires, wheels, bumpers, skid plates and guards, tires and wheels, I have about $9,000 in this thing. It should run PERFECT!

Quick Reply: King Quad Spit Sputter