Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

how big of a spotlight can use use on your KQ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 11:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how big of a spotlight can use use on your KQ?

I am being lazy, so i was hoping you guys could help me out...... i know it rates for 120w's So how big of a spotlight is that???? can a 1 million candle power spotlight be used???

Old 09-02-2005, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider

I'm pretty sure as long as the end fits the 12-volt power outlet on the machine, you can use any candlepower if that helps you at all. Very good idea to always have the machine running if you use the light for any extended amount of time.

Old 09-02-2005, 11:06 AM
Elite Pro Rider

There isnt a relationship between candlepower and watts. The type of bulb and the shape of the refector, have an effect on the candle power.
Youl need to look at the current draw or the wattage to know the limit.
If the stator only puts out 120 watts, and the stator is always rated for max output for a perfect one,so youre looking at maybe 110 watts at close to redline, and alot less at idle.
I would think anything 80 watts or 6 amps will be about the limit.

Old 09-06-2005, 11:16 AM
ZLZ
Trailblazer

I am thinking about getting a spotlight for my quad. I am looking at 2 of them right now and cannot decide which one to go with:
Ram 70,000 candlepower
Or
Optronics 2 million candlepower

I am concerned that the Optronics may be too much for my 05 Kind Quad, but am concerned that the RAM may not be very bright.

I don't need to be able to see a mile away, but I do want something that will go a few hundred yards anyhow.

Any suggestions on either? Will the Optronics draw too much power? THX!!

Old 09-06-2005, 01:15 PM
Elite Pro Rider

That optronics is rated at 100 watts, so it would be a big drain on the system, if the motor isnt spinning over very fast. If youre gonna be sitting still and idleing, it will start to run the battery down...especially if the headlights ar on too.
The ram ad didnt say the wattage, but i assume its less than 100.
I just put some hella ff50, halogen lights on a quad, and they are rated at 55 watts apiece, and they throw off a very white bright beam. They use a h7 halogen bulb, which any auto parts store can sell you, and they are very compact...and for the same price youre looking at. But they arent a spotlight, they are just driving lights. I had to turn them off, when others were coming the opposite way, this last weekend, because they were too blinding. We also saw deer with them, a couple of hundreds yards away, on the other side of the field. So i know that 55 watt lights will be very bright, especially if they are halogen or zenon bulbs.
ebay ad for ff50
If you can, check on the bulb type in those lamps. If they are incandesant, they wont be as effiecient or bright or white as the gas type, like halogen or zenon.
As long as you know that the motor needs to be running, and at more than an idle, then the 100 watt light should work...but if you have other headlights and tail lights, and handwarmers and other stuff going, itll be hard on the battery.

Old 09-07-2005, 12:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

ZLZ, I have 4 different spotlights, 100.000 candlepower is my smallest and I don't think you will be happy with it, not even close to enough to get the job done. SO i would say, stay away from the 70,000 candlepower one

Old 09-07-2005, 01:57 PM
ZLZ
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info. Yeah, the 70,000 does seem low. How could I find out how much the KQ can handle while at idle? I want a spotlight that I can easily remove when not used without having some mouting rod hanging off the handlebars.

I am thinking about maybe putting Trailtech HID lights on, but I don't know where to mount them on the KQ (I have a plow blade) and plus I can't easily remove them for spotting on something particular.