Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

King Quad And Honda Rubicon

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 10:34 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default King Quad And Honda Rubicon

I am going to purchase a new machine soon. I had it pretty settled in my mind to
look hardest at the King. However I just read in some post that you may have to
check and maybe replace the kings belt every 6oo or 1200 miles. If at a cost of
200 dollars at the dealership, is it something a normal person can replace, or
should the Rubicon with no belts be better. My riding is slow speed with very
rough trails. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 09-15-2005, 10:56 AM
Trailblazer

King all the way. remember, its all how you ride. belts will last a long time.

Old 09-15-2005, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider

If your riding is slow speed get the Rubicon, especially the Canadian Trail Edition if at all possible because it supposedly has a much smoother ride.

Old 09-15-2005, 11:49 PM
Trailblazer

I have a KQ I have 1200 miles on it with no problems. I took the belt cover off yesterday just to see if there was any belt dust build up or gunk in there. I also check the belt to see how much had worn off it. It hardly shows any wear. I don’t baby it around all the time. I have power braked it several times. Pulled other ATV out. Pulled trees and what ever else was in the way. I have been in deep water and mud. So it has had a work out. And is still pulling hard. I also read a forum about another belt off another brand that will fit but I can’t remember what brand it was. But one advantage with the KQ it is still cheaper to replace belt than replace a hondamatic. I used to have one.

Old 09-16-2005, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: erikd5155
I have a KQ I have 1200 miles on it with no problems. I took the belt cover off yesterday just to see if there was any belt dust build up or gunk in there. I also check the belt to see how much had worn off it. It hardly shows any wear. I don’t baby it around all the time. I have power braked it several times. Pulled other ATV out. Pulled trees and what ever else was in the way. I have been in deep water and mud. So it has had a work out. And is still pulling hard. I also read a forum about another belt off another brand that will fit but I can’t remember what brand it was. But one advantage with the KQ it is still cheaper to replace belt than replace a hondamatic. I used to have one.
I'm so pleased to hear someone who's belt still looks good at 1200 miles. I think it's going to have to be considered a minority to have your belt go out at 1200. These CVTs are supposed to be right on par with Yamaha and I just don't see how one could fry a rubberband that quickly without being an absolute idiot. The thing with replacing the Hondamatic is, barely anyone has ever or will ever have to do it. I would have to say a Rincon with the King's power or better and the Hondamatic with a locker would be my dream machine.

Old 09-16-2005, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RedGoblinI would have to say a Rincon with the King's power or better and the Hondamatic with a locker would be my dream machine.

I don't know why Honda will not add a locking front differential. It isn't exactly a huge technical challenge to engineer one and it wouldn't add much (what $100 or less?) to the sticker price. As all of their competition has them as standard equipment you would think it would be a no brainer. They have got to be losing a substantial number of sales due to their lack of this one critical feature that would be simple for them to add. I know I won't even consider a Honda until they offer one. I've had one Honda without a locker I consider it mandatory equipment for an atv. It is for me and the way I use an atv anyway and I suspect it is for a great number of others.

Old 09-18-2005, 01:55 AM
Pro Rider

I sometimes see die-hard Honda owners telling people that by tapping the front brake, you can virtually "lock" the front end. My only response to that is.....are you kidding me? Even if this method works, who actually wants to sit there and pump the front brake lever will trying to navigate a mudhole and keep the power on at the same time? I'll take a switch, thank you.

Old 09-18-2005, 02:54 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah I heard the same thing. Well when I tried it and it would sorta work if you took time and vvvvveeeeerrrryyyy carefully messed around with the brake and throttle. If things got even a little out of sync there was one wheel out there spinning helplessly. It was totally impractical and unworkable. You were better off just mashing the throttle and hopping around on the machine and rocking it back and forth.

I'm not Honda bashing...well I am a little..... but for pete's sake Honda just put a locker in the front diff and increase the versatility and capability 100% for for a few bucks. How many years of screaming did it take to get them to offer a 4x4 2x4 selector switch? I'll put up with a little less power and a few less features but please give me a locker. I heard someone say a while back that Honda builds a fantastic machine but they end up releasing it about 3 or 4 years too late. I think that sums it up pretty well.