Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

One year after introduction how do you like the King Quad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 09:36 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One year after introduction how do you like the King Quad?

A good friend has a KQ and I can say it is a great quad. Perhaps he happend apon a good one but neither of us have any problem pulling a wheelie. I can ride one until is tops out in low range. Super smooth ride, my only gripe is too light steering and high speed stability but theres always a trade off.

Paul

Old 11-30-2005, 01:24 AM
Range Rover

Mines great so far! Had it in almost everything you can put a quad in... it does really well!

Old 11-30-2005, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider

I have 1200 Miles on my King and so far its been pretty good to me.. I had problems with the rear boots twisting up as many of us have. I also had to have the rear upper "I" -arm bushings replaced. I'm trying to figure out what caused the problem. I have the rear shocks off right now and will bring them in to see if they are shot.They seem like they have gotten pretty weak over a short 1 year span.
If you buy one make sure you replace that junk airfilter with one that actually works, like a twin -air set up. Im also hoping the low-end lag issue gets taken care of. We will see. All in all , Its a great machine for the price.

Old 11-30-2005, 07:34 PM
Trailblazer

i couldnt be more happy. great power, good mileage, great ride, good looks, what more can be said?

Old 12-01-2005, 02:12 AM
Pro Rider

A friend of mine has one and I get to ride it occasionally. Overall I like it. It rides nice and has adequate - not exhilarating or exciting - power. The off idle lag I find somewhat annoying. It handles really nice in all of the situations I have had the chance to operate it in from very slow to around 40 or 50 mph. The "feel" of all of the parts I think is quite good. I really enjoy riding it. Worlds better than my old Honda 300 fourtrax 4x4.

It isn't without it's problems though. This particular KQ blew the reverse while backing out of the driveway. The reverse had hardly been used and was never abused. It was one of the models with the defective reverse despite the stealers assurances that it wasn't. Once fixed it seems to work well but my friend hates the new ECM and the way it crippled the reverse. I've never had a problem with it though since I rarely used reverse. The racks are versatile only in the sense that they both suck and blow. My friend was so sick of them he dragged out his welder and built his own custom replacements. He has the jigs and everything and I'm trying to convince him to sell them. They're really nice and better than any stock rack or any aftermarket racks I've seen for that matter. Alarmingly his KQ has been blowing some blue smoke which I guess is one of the new problems the KQ has been having. We inspected the air filter and it seemed to be in place but there was a considerable build up of filth on the downstream side of the filter. Time will only tell with this problem. He is going to take it into the dealer after deer season to see what is up with the smoking. Overall though it is an fine machine but the constant string of major defects makes me wonder about the long term durability.

Old 12-01-2005, 09:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had my King Quad in for the smokeing problem. the dealer put in new rings, said the piston was ok and put the old airfilter back on. He claims that there was nothing wrong with the airfilter. I beleived the problem was caused by the air filter letting dust into the engine. The dealer and suzuki dispute that. The rep said they don't know what the problem was. So there you haveit. The bike is fime at the moment,had the twisted boot problems, dealer coverd that, said he blew compressed air into the boot and it poped back into shape, good trick i must remember that. I ordered a unifilter and i should get it this week sometime. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Old 12-02-2005, 05:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

Had one for almost a year with no problems except for the recalls and a fouled plug. Hasn't used a drop of oil either. Just bought another 2005 for my wife. Only problem is...she's just as fast as me now (coming from a Warrior). Maybe I made a mistake...:-)

Old 12-02-2005, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider

I've had mine for over a year now. I have been very happy with it until just recently. I had to replace both the the rear CV boots next to the wheel. Part of it is my fault because I got sticks up in there, but the protection is poor back there. I added the A-Arm protectors to help from this happening again.
The other problem I had is one of my rear wheels developed some side to side movement. I had to replace 2 plastic bushings on the upper control arm. This was a much harder job than I first anticpated. I had to chip the old plastic bushings out. Why would they be plastic and not steel? I have heard of other people having problems with these bushings and only one year old seems soon for this to happen.
Anyway, I very much enjoy the ride, steering and handling. It is much more fun to ride than my Utility based Hondas. I just wish it were built more reliable.

Old 12-02-2005, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider

The Bushings should be made of some kind of urethane. It would last a little longer... These will need to be replaced every 1000 miles. This is no joke.

Old 12-02-2005, 04:58 PM
Trailblazer

Had a king quad, darn near killed me, sold it in 1 month got a rincon, use it like a sport quad with 4wd

Quick Reply: One year after introduction how do you like the King Quad?