Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Tires for the King

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 02:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires for the King

Going to pickup a King next week. A yellow one. I really have a problem with thorns and flat tires with my current two ATV’s with stock tires. I run "slime" in them and that helps some.

The dealer recommended 6-ply tires (a $200 upgrade) to replace the stock 2-ply Dunlops on the King and said they would be more thorn resistant but stiffer and may give the King a harder ride.

What tires should I upgrade to on the King for regular ranch work, some trail riding, and minimal mud? And I would rather not give up the King’s comfortable ride on rough ground because I have stiff tires.

Old 10-16-2005, 02:07 AM
Pro Rider

ITP Holeshot ATRs. They are 4-ply I believe, a good compromise between 2 and the 6-ply you said you didn't want. Also, radial tires supposedly extremely enhance handling on an IRS machine, though I cannot speak from firsthand experience.

Old 10-16-2005, 05:01 PM
Range Rover

You should look at the Maxxis Bighorns as well. I love them. I have ATRs and am not happy at all with them. They keep going flat. I have had them in the shop several times trying to find a leak with no luck. I put slime in them and still they lose air. In mud they are a joke, they become slicks very quickly and then throw it out in front of the bike so you can ride into the mudstorm. I like the Bighorns much better. Both are radials. Both give nice, comfortable rides. The Bighorns sit higher even though they are rated the same size. The ATRs are wider as well, even though they are the same size. Just my opinion.

Old 10-16-2005, 07:21 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: UtahQuadsquad
You should look at the Maxxis Bighorns as well. I love them. I have ATRs and am not happy at all with them. They keep going flat. I have had them in the shop several times trying to find a leak with no luck. I put slime in them and still they lose air. In mud they are a joke, they become slicks very quickly and then throw it out in front of the bike so you can ride into the mudstorm. I like the Bighorns much better. Both are radials. Both give nice, comfortable rides. The Bighorns sit higher even though they are rated the same size. The ATRs are wider as well, even though they are the same size. Just my opinion.

Which tires handle better? I am talking about the KQ body roll at high speed cornering. I am running stockers and am looking to upgrade the tires but cant make up my mind on the atr's or bighorns.

Old 10-16-2005, 08:55 PM
Range Rover

Mine are on Vinsons. I am going to buy a KQ in the spring and will put Bighorns on it as well. The Bighorns run right through ruts and pull me out of them with great ease. The ATRs get in the ruts and want to track in them. They are hard to pull out of a rut. They (Bighorns) seem to have more support in turns as well.

Old 10-16-2005, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: minigun
Originally posted by: UtahQuadsquad

Which tires handle better? I am talking about the KQ body roll at high speed cornering. I am running stockers and am looking to upgrade the tires but cant make up my mind on the atr's or bighorns.
Any radial is supposed to be a huge upgrade over bias-ply on an independent-rear suspension ATV. The ATRs and Bighorns are both radial. The question then becomes what kind of terrain you ride because the Bighorns are significantly more aggressive, but also heavier. There are the very high-dollar Mudlite XTRs, but I'm not a believer in their longevity for the price, though the performance is no doubt very good I'm sure.

Old 10-17-2005, 12:26 AM
Trailblazer

hay red try the itp xtr 25" they are great ive got the 27" but my boss has the 25" and loves them hope that helps

Old 10-17-2005, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WE had a dim road on our hunting land,appropately named "flat tire road" thorns and such.....ITP's all the way second set and no flat tires!

Old 10-17-2005, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, they're 6-ply, so I don't doubt they're very puncture-resistant. When I said I wasn't sold on their toughness, I meant how well the tread holds up.

Old 10-17-2005, 07:23 PM
Trailblazer

ive got 450 miles on them the tread ware is awsome...

Quick Reply: Tires for the King