Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Tires for the King

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tires for the King

After hunting season, I usually exchange my Woods tires for the stock set,which I have standard rims for,and I simple change them out...saves tire ware,and a smoother ride in my yard(no chunks of torn up turf)

Old 10-17-2005, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what does radial mean? And, what does ply mean? Sorry for my lack of tire knowledge.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 10-18-2005, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

I have 25" Mud Lite XL tires. They are awsome tires, and they are 6 ply. They have the same deep lugs that the bigger Mud Lites have, but they are stock size so I am not loosing any power by going bigger. Again I only have a 350 so I dont have too much power to spare. If you are looking to go bigger, I would also recomend the Mud Lites in whatever size you are looking into getting. My dad has 26" Mud Lites on his Twin Peaks, and they work great.

Old 10-19-2005, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

How many miles do you have on them and how often do they see pavement? I admit I ride the back country roads in order to get to several different riding locations so I would say at least 50% of my ride time is asphalt and if the tire tread can't hold up to long periods of that, I can't go with that tire.

Old 10-19-2005, 02:08 AM
Range Rover

Mark,

b. Radial vs. Bias Ply - Until recently, the vast majority of ATV tires were all bias ply. Bias ply tires are constructed utilizing plies or belts (typically rubber-coated plies composed of textile cords, usually nylon) that run diagonally (usually 30 degrees) from one bead to the other. One ply is set on a bias in one direction, and succeeding plies are set alternately in opposing directions crossing each other. Bias-ply tires are typically less flexible than radials, but are typically tougher in construction than their radial brothers.

Radial tires are fairly recent entries in the ATV market, and are tires that are constructed in two parts. First, a single layer of rubber-coated steel cables arch from one bead to the other to form the tire casing. Second, numerous rubber-coated steel belts are placed in the crown, under the tread, to form a strong stabilizing unit. Radial construction makes the tire more flexible, which reduces rolling resistance and improves fuel economy.

Thought this would explain it better than I could.

As for ply it just refers to how many layers or plys
hope it makes sence

Old 10-19-2005, 06:43 AM
Pro Rider

wow! Thats more info than i wanted. Thanks Alot!

Old 10-19-2005, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider

GedGoblin, I cannot give an answer for my 25 inchers because I just got them this past July(and they still look like new). My dads however I can. Those tires have been on that machine since June 2004. They have worn very well. We do have a few paved rodes we ride down, but not as much as you will be riding. Most of our riding is done on dirt and mud. I am very impressed with how they wear. His machine is a Twin Peaks 700 too, and they like to spin the tires on the take off, well at least I like to when I am riding it. I would check around though if you are still worried because of the pavement. I am impressed with the wear, they still look very good, but we wouldnt be riding the amount of pavement you would be. Hope this helps.

What about the new Mud Lite XTR. IF you want a radial you might want to check into these. I am positive you can get these in stock size too. Just a thought.