Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

zilla flooding

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default zilla flooding

THX allcool...I'll try the float trick. However, the choke you describe is on the keihin PJ (my old carb) the choke on the PWK is just that...a choke...idle cicuit is completely seperate. Let's consider the possibility that the float valve DOES NOT SEAL...wouldn't the extra fuel be drained out via the drain tubes (overflows)? How would that flood the engine during starting? THX

Old 12-04-2005, 04:28 PM
Trailblazer
Default zilla flooding

Originally posted by: stormnorm
THX allcool...I'll try the float trick. Let's consider the possibility that the float valve DOES NOT SEAL...wouldn't the extra fuel be drained out via the drain tubes (overflows)? How would that flood the engine during starting? THX

By the time the overflow drains off fuel, the engine is already flooded out.
Is yours leaking out the overflow?
Depending on how much is leaking past the needle/seat and how long it sits leaking before you kick it over would detirmine if the fuel level in the float bowl gets so high that it leaks out of the overflow tubes.

I would check needle/seat first

If needle and seat are 100% for sure not leaking...then

check all jets/seats/needles/ gaskets in carb for a tight fit

If all checks out good in the carb, start by getting a good idle
A easy starting engine begins with a good stable idle.

Does it idle now?

Old 12-04-2005, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default zilla flooding

Hi again...here is where it stands right now...this afternoon (having regained my strenght) took the carb apart again, checked the float valve and seat just like you told me. It is 100%... YESTERDAY...I did notice a few drops of gas coming out of the overflow tube that is located in the center of the bowl. But I'm not sure if it was leaking there because I was jumping on it like a mad man??? The tubes on the sides are located so high that I don't beleive they could flow with the carb sitting in it's normal position!!! Put the carb back together...shook it to make sure the floats were still loose then went for a ride. Started nice and runs good...idles nicelly. Did I mention this carb was bought new last summer. Could I have fixed it? I don't know, it's been doing this once in a while since I bought the carb.

Old 12-04-2005, 05:11 PM
Trailblazer
Default zilla flooding

Sounds like something (dirt/debris) was stuck or sticking intermittently under your needle/seat. Now after disassembly and reassembly you have dislodged it. Or you have a worn/damaged needle seat that intermittently leaks. No fuel should leak from your overflows no matter how hard you kick it or 'jump on it'
If fuel leaks from the overflow your float bowl is overflowing for sure and you’re engine is getting flooded out.

Do you have an inline fuel filter? If not get one. Is the tank dirty?

Old 12-04-2005, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default zilla flooding

Filter yes!! Dirt? I don't know. I have clear lines and gas looks clean. Late last summer I had an incident happen that I could not explain. I was riding not far from my house and at one point turned and came back the same way I came. Noticed a wet trail that wasn't there before. Looked under the quad and the overflow was running as big as the tube would allow!!!!! WHOAAAAA shut off the gas and raced home. Took the carb apart and investigated the float valve and saw nothing. Put it back together and no more problems. Could the floats be draging on the sides of the bowl or somewhere inside? There isn't much room in there. Just enough drag on the floats could keep the valve from closing properly.