Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default z400 vs 400ex

ment to say alot right there not alight ^^^^^^^^^

Old 12-11-2005, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default z400 vs 400ex

Originally posted by: reconranger
We get this question at least 5 times per week! I have both, so I don't have any reason to BS anybody.

I like the EX for really tight, semi-technical trails. It has an engine that doesn't mind being lugged down and ridden slowly. Handling is excellent.

The Z's engine likes to rev. It is better suited for faster trails and more open country. In the technical stuff, you have to work the clutch a lot, and it gets old fast. Excellent handling as well. Quite a bit faster than the EX.
Well, I don't own both but my brother has an ex and I've ridden it quite a bit and we trade off pretty often too. He's right about the ex being better in the tight stuff, but I think for a different reason. The steering turns quite a bit sharper. If you put them side by side and turn the bars until you hit the bumpstops, you'll see it's quite a bit. As far as working the clutch more, I'd rather work the clutch more on the z because it's a lot smoother and lighter. I really don't have to work my clutch more on my z than my brother's ex. I changed sprockets to compensate for bigger tires and when I did that I made it a little lower geared than stock. I also put an advanced timing cdi and pipe on it, which gave an awesome low end.

Originally posted by: LdyJay

You can also change up gearing with sprocket changes allowing you to either shorten or lengthen the 1st or 2nd gear for lower trail speeds. I do just fine with my z400 with a 13 tooth front sprocket and 41 tooth rear. Having ridden both, I would always choose my z400.
That's the same sprocket set up I have and running 22's. I love this combo along with what I mentioned above. I used to love riding my brother's ex, then I got my z and got it set up the way I like. Now when we trade off, it's almost a chore to ride it because the z is so much more comfortable to ride. But my brother loves riding mine, and he let's me keep it in his garage so we trade off for a bit every now and then.

I'm not bashing the ex or anything as I do think it's an awesome quad, but my z has me hooked.

Old 12-12-2005, 03:57 PM
Trailblazer
Default z400 vs 400ex

the z400's always win the races.......and they say ex's have bad tracrtion with the stock tires........they both bout the same though....

Old 12-13-2005, 12:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default z400 vs 400ex

the two quads are great , i love my 400ex because of the low end power when climbing hills. I raced many z 400 and it was always close , i had the holeshot everytime but in fourth speed he catch up and pass me and the top speed was very close so every time it depend on the race but since im bored to 440 i dont play with them anymore...they are the two kings of wheelie , the z have liquid cooling but its not a big deal. i never had problem overheating even with my 440 . two great choice !!!

Old 12-13-2005, 02:35 AM
Pro Rider
Default z400 vs 400ex

Originally posted by: atvrocks
the two quads are great , i love my 400ex because of the low end power when climbing hills. I raced many z 400 and it was always close , i had the holeshot everytime but in fourth speed he catch up and pass me and the top speed was very close so every time it depend on the race but since im bored to 440 i dont play with them anymore...they are the two kings of wheelie , the z have liquid cooling but its not a big deal. i never had problem overheating even with my 440 . two great choice !!!
I have to agree, Both great choices.

Old 12-16-2005, 12:08 AM
Range Rover
Default z400 vs 400ex

HAHA...the z400...HANDS DOWN....itll kill the 400ex in my opinion...its also supposidly supposed to adapt to the mods better...

Old 12-16-2005, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider
Default z400 vs 400ex

can't lose with either one. i have a of kfx and have let others ride it. they were suprised by the power(a couple of bolt ons). i have a friend who has a ex -05 and said he wished he would have got a kfx/z, but he's a honda fan. honda fans are loyal!! those honda's will last forever. people i know said the shocks made the diff, even people that had the 03-04 z's said that. i can ride mine all day with out getting beat to death. i to the kfx over a yfz just for that reason, i like speed but i also like to trail ride alot. i say ride them both if you can , and make your body choose for you. i heard their reverse switch is a pain, the z's is a *** on the fender like the raptors. good luck you can't lose with either.

Old 12-16-2005, 07:17 PM
Trailblazer
Default z400 vs 400ex

I have ridden both of them and yes the z will outrace the ex any day but if your like me and do more trails and stuff like that then you will probably rarely see top speed......so i think its a really good idea to make sure you are getting the right one for your needs.......when riding the z you really have to work in first and second gear with clutch......ex on the other hand doesnt mind curising and weaving through turns....either way at this point both are great bikes and you cant go wrong.....make sure you get what YOU want and not sounds the coolest or the fastest...i know that seems to cloud my view when buying

Old 12-16-2005, 08:21 PM
Range Rover
Default z400 vs 400ex

Ive ridden both, and I think the Z handles just as well...go with the Z

Old 12-18-2005, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider
Default z400 vs 400ex

The Z is like a updated ex. Better shocks, liquid cooled, better technology, really comfortable, reverse (I know the new ex have it too but the Z's is still easier to engage), better looks (just a personal thing[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]), a bit more power stock, and just overall better. Doesnt mean there isnt anything wrong with the ex. They are both very reliable. The ex may be a little bit more reliable. Cant really say. I think my Z turns really sharp. A ton sharper than my blaster anyways. The Z is very very comfortable though. I dont realize how comfortable it is when I'm riding but if I switch quad... man, big difference. They are both great quads but I'll keep my Z. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: z400 vs 400ex