Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

King Quad upgrades??????????

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default King Quad upgrades??????????

Hello! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] New to this site and new to atv's as an adult! I rode up until I was about 17 years old! Other interest took me away form atv's for many years! Things have change in the past 15 to 20 years! They now have four wheels! WOW! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I just bought a 2005 King Quad a couple of mounths ago! Haven't ridden it much yet but I think I made the right purchase after riding many of the other big bikes! I am 6'4" tall and weigh 360# plus! Just a little guy! The bike has pretty good power (never enough) as stock! I have done a few things to it but was wanting some serious, honest answers on pipes, filters, etc! I have a power commander, black c-series type 7 itp 12 inch wheels, 26 inch ITP XTR tires, cycle country 54 inch plow, warn 2500 winch, ram spot light, an awsome hitch receiver (Ebay), a second set of plastic (Ebay) sent to be hydrographed camo( haven't got them back yet) and star madd hand protectors! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Just a couple of things ! I want to buy the best pipe, filter that I can get for the bike to take advantage on the power commander! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]Not what the dealer makes the most money on! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I could not tell any differance when the dealer put it on last week! I hope it will come to life with a pipe and filter! Any advice would be greatly welcomed! I just don't like to buy something and them find out there might have been something that would have been a better choice for my KING! I will try to post pictures of my bike soon and complete my profile asap! Thanks For any suggestion! God Bless!

Old 12-12-2005, 06:18 PM
Trailblazer

I like the way you think. More power! I am an old biker who used to race dirt and then a maniac street rider. I have about 35+ years of riding. Now that I am off the road bike kick I am back into the dirt. I ride aggressively but smart (I know I will not heal as fast as I used too) I can't afford to break a bone. I am an adult (AARP sends me mail LOL) but can outride most of the people I ride with.

I too just got my KQ about 2 months ago (thanks to my wife! I was going to get her a 4x4 and she said I can have a new one so she has my Vinson and I followed her advice and got a newer one for me---great woman) and mine is equipped with a winch (near mandatory where and how we ride) front bumper w/extra lights and full aluminum skid plates and A arm guards (cabela's great price on ricochet set). I too am close to 300# and the quad tends to bottom quicker so the skid plates are needed. (Even my Vinson has a full set to include A arms) I had put mudlight 26" on the Vinson and I am still tire hunting for my KQ. I just can't make up my mind on Mudlights or some other tire. I do alot of climbing on rock and trails.

The plans are for 27" tires and a clutch kit (I know a clutch kit will help). I am holding off until Yoshi... comes out with an improved control box (Rumor has Jan-Feb 06) then I will upgrade. I read an article in dirt wheels that stated a pipe work up the mid-range.... well most of my riding is in the low speed end.

I am also considering a camo job on the KQ. Sounds like you hit it right and got the 2nd set of plastics. As far as a plow I live in VT and I am spoiled by plowing my driveway with my plow truck (with heater! grin!!!) so an extra plow isn't needed. I did have to upgrade to a double trailer for the 2 quads and I am happy with my Triton SL8.

As far as telling you what pipe? I geuss I would ask what are you trying to achieve.... top speed, mid-range, bottom end each pipe will have a sweet spot. As far as the filter..... if you read all the forums there is a significant arguement about which is best....Uni or Twin Air.

Welcome!

Bob

Old 12-13-2005, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the reply! What a lucky man! Great wife, to give up a new bike so you could have a new one yourself! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] My wife gave me the go ahead on buying a new bike instead of an older used grizzly that i was looking at! She is great!
To be more clear on what I am trying to do with my bike! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] I, as any one want it all! Low, midrange and top end! But I know from life you can not have it all. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] The bike seems to have great power in the mid range! A little slow when you first pull out and a little lacking on the top end! I have read the fourms about the filters! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] I wish K & N would hurry up and make one! The one thing that I have read that I am wondering if it is true is that with the aftermarket air filter you get a little more low end! If this is true i guess that I would like a pipe that will help on the mid to upper range! I dont want to be the loudest guy in the World either! The quiter the better! Opps there I go again wanting it all!
As for the tires! I choose the 12 inch type 7 c series ITP wheels and the 26 inch XTR radials! I figured that the larger the size the more problems I would have with axels, joints, power loss, etc. I may have been mistaken about this! If so I my go up in size later! I didn't want to be the one on here telling about the front end or axele problems from the large wheels and tires! I also have read a lot about the larger tires and wheels gearing up the bike and costing top end speed! It kinda defeated the purpose for the other upgrades for me!
After I brought the bike home from getting the radial tires on it! I thought I was on a different bike! That much differance! The bike rode, handeled, preformed great before but the new wheel and tires from ITP are amazing! The tred is very agresive but what does that matter as long as you stay of the local golf course! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] For where I use my bike the tires a great! They are super smooth down the trail and shock me every time i think I may loose traction! The king Quad won the atv of the year in 2005 and if the factory would ship[ the bike with these tires on them! They would win atv of the year again this coming year! I have ridden the bike more since I changer the tires ( last Thursday) Than the first couple of months that I owned the bike!
I ams also going to do a skip plate package! As soon as I decide on which brand to go with! Was there any problems with the kit from Cabelas? If there are any other mods that you of any one else would recommed I would be happy to hear from you! Thanks!

Old 12-13-2005, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

Bub racing makes a pipe for the KQ I have seen one and it sounded real nice a low mellow tone But I did not ride the KQ so I dont know how much power it will give you The fit and finish on it are top notch It looks WAY better then the fmf pies I have seen on KQ's

Old 12-13-2005, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks! For the info! I'll will check it out!

Old 12-13-2005, 03:38 PM
Trailblazer

Nope no real probles with the ricochet skid plates. I stood the KQ straight up and installed them. My only compaints were that my big hands were put into tight twisted spots to get some of the clamps on. I do have a front bumper (suzuki) and I had to grind two notches in the skid plates to pass the bumper brackets. Really a straight forward easy job.... swearing helps with the tight spots well it did for me. Standing the machine up is no problem, lock the brake and(I suggest 2 people and lay a sheet of cardboard down so you don't scratch the rear rack. It was pretty stable. The kit w/ S&H was $329 delivered.

Yes I agree the mudlites will do turf damage!! I told my wife that it is good for the lawn consider it aeration. I was at the dealer today and I am looking forward to the yoshimura control.

Bob

Old 12-13-2005, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider

What did they have to say about the Yoshi box over the power commander? Thanks!

Old 12-13-2005, 11:11 PM
Trailblazer

Did you know that highlifter sells a spring kit for the KQ that raises the load bearing by 100 lbs.... the compensate for oversize tires and heavier weight loads..... hmmmm adding it to my list.

Old 12-13-2005, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks! I will check into that! Wonder if there is any down side to adding them?

Old 12-14-2005, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider

Hi guys,
I am considering purchasing a 05 King Quad. I outgrew my TRX250EX in about a month and I have been riding a 05 Prarie 360 but it is not enough power either and weighs just about the same as the 650cc+ bikes so I figure I may as well go w/ 650cc+ and can always grow into it instead of outgrowing it so quickly. I however am 5'4 and weigh 140Lbs. All of you are saying you are 300+Lbs so now I am getting a little scared? Other choices I am considering are the Honda Ricon 650cc and the Grizzly 660cc? My fiance said I should get something w/ Independent Rear Suspension and my only other choice was a 750 Brute Force which does not interest me. I want something pretty stable that will not flip easily. How is the King Quad in terms of safety? I too would upgrade the tires asap.

Quick Reply: King Quad upgrades??????????