Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

EPI clutch kit install?? It came in yesterday!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EPI clutch kit install?? It came in yesterday!

I tried it out in high! Did not think to try it in low! I was suprised! I am posting some pictures and tips! http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/davashkq/my_photos

Old 12-25-2005, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider

Here is a list of tools that the EPI instructions give!
Metric socket set
Torque wrench- I used two 1/2 drive foot pound and 1/4 drive inch pound.
Spring tool or needle noise pliers- I used needle noise pliers
Clutch compression tool or shop press(EPI part # cct500) I made my own compression tool! From the suggesions of other peoples ideals! Thanks!
1/2 inch impact gun
Suzuki Oil- I replaced mine with Amsoil
Punch or spanner wrinch- I used a punch withthe end ground to a little bit of an angle!
Flat tip screwdriver
Clutch shoe remover-( Suzuki part # 0990-33540) I did not have this! I made the rotor holder to hold the clutches for correct torqueing!
Sliding shaft (Suzuki part # 09930-30104) I did not have this! I used a large two jaw puller set.
I also would go ahead and pick up a new oil filter and filter wrench from Suzuki ( if you don't have a filter wrench already)

Old 12-25-2005, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

Here are some better measurements on the home made tools!
The compression tool = 1/4 flat steel 12 inches long ( I had to double mine but I only used 1 1/2 inch wide). If you use 2 inch wide it might not bend with only one piece!
1/2 threaded rod= 1 piece 12 inches long and two pieces 6 inches long
6) 1/2 inch grade 5 large flat washers
11) 1/2 inch grade 5 nuts

The three holes on the top piece of the clamp! Center the middle hole at 6 inches! Space the outer holes 1 1/2 inch on center from the middle hole! The center of the outer holes should be three inches apart! So if you use a 12 inch piece of steel your 1/2 inch holes should be 4 1/2 inches in from each end and the center should be at six inches from each end! Just be sure the outer holes are three inches on center apart!

The rotor holder:
I used two pieces of 1/4 x 1 inch aluminum ( it was already in my shop ).
3) 1/4 inch x 1 1/2 long grade 5 bolts
3) 1/4 grade 5 nuts
one piece was 18 inches long
one piece was 9 inches long
Long piece= drill one 1/4 inch hole 1/2 inch in from end and the other hole 8 1/2 inches in from the same end with the first hole!
Short piece: drill one hole 1/4 inch in from the ends one sith sides!
Of you can do what I did and clamp them together and drill them at the same time!
The measuring does not have to right of with this tool!
Leave the center bolt finger tight so the tool can be opened or close to fit!
I would recomend that you do the measuring for yourself before making your tools!

This worked for me and i hope it will help you also!

Old 12-25-2005, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

FYI! I could not have done this install without the compression tool! There are others on this and other fourms that say they did it by hand! I bent 1 and 1/2 inch wide by 1/4 inch thick steel! I had to double it to get the spring off! Trying to do this without a compression is going to get someone hurt, BAD! I did notice that one of the people that said they did it by hand now has put some of my photos in there sig! It looks like Mcgill has re posted his and my photos together! Check them out they may save you from eating a spring and a few teeth! I have got to give credit where credit is due! I would not have tried this without hte advice of this and other fourms! Thanks guys!

Old 12-26-2005, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

Great Job on all your pics and describing everything so well, I am sure this will help alot of other in the future as well. I gotta say, I can't believe how clean you clutch and everything was, you must not get in alot of mud or dust much??

Old 12-27-2005, 09:10 AM
Trailblazer

Happy to hear your improvements! I have an 05 vinson auto, I'm looking for some more "holeshot" myself---will a Dalton clutch kit help me out? My bike is bone stock (except for Moose air filter). I just want some more takeoff w/o spending a small fortune (rejetting, pipe ,etc.)

Old 12-27-2005, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider

I cannot say about the Dalton! The EPI has the internal wet springs! I am not sure which part of the kit did it but I have more out of the hole power now than before!

Thanks Raptor! I was supprised when I removed the cover! I figured it would have been pretty dirty in there but what you see is how it was! I have had the bike in a little mud and a low of dust! A lot a gravel roads! Pretty clean! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Although I don't have a lot of miles on my bike yet!

Old 01-21-2006, 09:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Dav Ash, I have been reading in the background for months now, trying to determine what mods to do, after your dyno test, I have ordered the Yoshi Pipe. I just was looking on th e EPI website and the pics did not show the internal cluth springs. Would you mind telling me what EPI Part # you used that included the springs. I work for Suzuki Auto Dealer as a Service Manager, my close friend for many years is the auto factory rep. I just got off the phone with him and asked him if he would call his counterpart in the cycle division, hopefully get some info on the upcomming ECM!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Also could yould give me the part # for your Yoshi just to be sure I ordered the right one.

Old 01-22-2006, 02:02 AM
Pro Rider

Quad Boss! That would be great if you could get us some inside information on the ECM.
Tje EPi part # is WE495730. I would call EPi to be sure of the part that you need. I would not let them talk you into the oversized tire kit if you are still running the 26 inch tires. That is the # on the box for the Stock tire, high elevation kit with the wet springs. The kit you get or need will depend on what elevation you live and ride at. Also the size tire you are running. I chose to stay with the stock tire kit even though i ahunning 26 inch ITP XTR tires. It works great and is the best mod I have done to date.
Wher in Tenn are you located. I am about an hour from Bristol. My dealer in Bristol gives about the best prices you can find! He sold me the EPI kit for $175 and the Yoshi for $270. I just got my ProArmor skids from him last night for $390. I fyou want his # just Pm me and I will send it to you and he will ship direct to you.
Do you want a copy of the dyno tuned map? Are you running or going to run a power commander?
Thanks!

Old 02-04-2006, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

I'm wanting to buy the EPI clutch kit too but which one should I get? I have the 27" XTRs on mine so I want the large tire setup but I'm not sure about the elevation? I in Alaska where we're about at 0 but get into the mountains where we can be at 3500 ft. I'm also in the military where I move around so who knows where I will be stationed next. Any ideas? I would also be interested on how much the kit helped and if you lost lots of top end. Thanks.

Quick Reply: EPI clutch kit install?? It came in yesterday!