Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

EPI clutch kit install?? It came in yesterday!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EPI clutch kit install?? It came in yesterday!

My epi kit got here yesterday! I am going to attempt, NO I am going to do the install today, thisevening, tonight and tommarrow if it takes it! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I'm pretty sure that I can get it done thisevening! Any last minute tips, tricks or anything! I am not realy conserened with the outer spring and weights! They seem to be pretty straight forward! Its the inner wet clutch work that I am a little conserened with??? I would be so greatful for anything! I am sure that everything has been said before but if you could say it again it would save the time searching for it! Thanks ! I am off to lowes to get the items for the spring compresion tool! YaHoooo! Here I go, no turning back now!

Old 12-22-2005, 09:04 AM
Pro Rider

lowes actually sells a clutch spring compressor tool??? I think not... You might be able to get rig something up from lowes parts. Let us know how you make out.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:08 AM
Pro Rider

also , if you dont have Air tools ,you might need to pick up a rotor holder tool also... I dont think they sell them at lowes. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-22-2005, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider

Items from lowes fro the spring compresion tool! 1/4 inch steel flat bar stock, 1/2 threaded rod, several 1/2 inch nuts, 1/2 washers and a little time well spent and there you have it! your own spring compresion tool! Did not say I was going to lowes to buy a spring compresion tool! I said the items for the tool!
What is a rotor holder? I have every type of air tool that i can think of! Either in my tool box, at my brothers automotive garage or next door at a good friends boby shop! If the tool is not within five miles of my houses then they dont make it! I am not above begging to barrow something! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
I think with an impact gun, I dont ned the rotor holder??? Correst or not?
If I cannot get the tools I need, I'll just use dynamite!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 12-22-2005, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

yeah with air tools you should be fine... The rotor holder holds the Pulley in place while you loosen or tighten the Large nut holding it in place.. It looks like this --- clicky It has the pins on the ends that fit into the holes making it easy to hold it in place in order to get proper torque settings.

Old 12-22-2005, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

What spring(s) comes in the EPI kit? Is it a primary or secondary spring? Both?

Let us know what difference it makes.
Thanks,
Mark

Old 12-23-2005, 01:58 AM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] The install went off without any problems! I had to make the spring compression tool ( I could not have installed the spring without it, thanks guys) and I also made a tool to hold the clutches still so the could be torqued to the correct foot pound! I will try to post pictures later! It was my little girls B-day ( daddy's girl is 2) today so I haven't got to ride it yet! I will post picture and oppion on ride ASAP! Thanks to all that gave advice and to those who did not give any advice, Thank you also! I took pictures of the complete install and tools that I made! So maybee they can be of help to someone in the future!
The wet clutch springs were no were nere as bad to install as I had thought they would be! This has taught me not to think to much about it, just start and make sure to finish!
The install took about 3 1/2 to 4 hours not including the time to make the tools! The spring compression tool took about 45 minutes to 1 hour! The rotor holder ( tool to hold the clutches still for correct torque) took about 10 minutes to make!
Thanks guys! More soon! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Trending Topics

Old 12-23-2005, 08:16 AM
Pro Rider

Great!! Keep us posted about the differences between stock and the new set-up..

Old 12-24-2005, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

Yes! I got to ride a little today! The down hill engine breaking is much inproved! I guees that is all you guys are worried about! Right! Well, for those of you who want to know if there were any other inprovements! Yes, Yes, Yes! Better out of the hole! I marked a distance that the bike hit 30 mph on a very consistent pattern! With the EPI kit ( complete kit with weights, inner springs and large secondary clutch spring) installed the bike got to 33 mph once and 32 three other tries! The temperature was close to the same on the two days that I tried this! This was on asphault! So the tires did not realy slip any! Had to set up on the seat o little with the EPI kit installed!Felt like the bike was trying to do something a little odd ( a wheelie ) in high gear! I am not saying a 60 degree, front end two feet off the ground wheelie! But it was trying to raise the front up off the ground a little! In high gear with me on it at 360 pounds was an odd feeling! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] In low gear it will flip right over on you no matter where I was on the seat ( grass or asphault)! No body english, it just wanted to come over on me unless I feathered the throttle! I did not do this kit to ride wheelies, not my ideal of fun (sorry, not ment ot offend)! My hopes was to get up to speed faster! That was the result that I got! The bike pulls harder than before! No dought about it! Seems to have better throttle when I want it! I did not do any top speed test! Sorry! I have never had my bike to top speed! But i can tell you that it helped in all aspects of the bikes power up to 45 to 50 MPH! I will post some install pictures on NYROC if your interested!

Old 12-25-2005, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider

Good to hear man! I am still waiting on my Dalton kit.... Got my Carlisle belt today so I am getting there! Is the engine braking in high any better or just low?

Quick Reply: EPI clutch kit install?? It came in yesterday!