Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

NEW LT450 Owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 04:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW LT450 Owners

Hey was up, weve got at least a couple of comrads on here with new 450's and weve got NO stories,ride details,or anything substantial, just a couple of small intro teasers. WE (I) need some good, gritty, detailed ride debriefings. You guys stop riding for a minute ( i hope youve been riding them?) grab a bite and post up!

Old 02-07-2006, 05:29 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NEW LT450 Owners

Im with ya zex, I've been waiting on some good reviews and unbiased comparisons.

Old 02-07-2006, 06:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default NEW LT450 Owners

Ok, Here's mine that I have posted on other Suzuki forums. Other people have seemed to enjoy what I have said.

Hey Members,
Just wanted to let everyone know I picked up mine late Friday night. A white one. Spent all day Saturday working on it. I'm going to give you guys my findings report, not a ride report. I will be heaping praise, and giving criticism, when warranted. By the way, I'm not going to get into a debate with any 14 year olds out there. These are just my opinions. I've been racing, and riding Suzukis for the past 30 years. Doesn't make me an expert, just old, LOL. I'm 47. I'll be going Clint Eastwood on you guys. The good, the bad, and the ugly. My opening statement will shock most members, but read the report, it's all good! I brought it over to my friends house on Saturday, he has a 70 hp Raptor, two 450R's an 04, and 06, various other quads, a Rhino, and a 40 foot WW trailer. I trust his judgment. I already own a 05 Z400. We all took it for a road spin around a half mile loop at his house. My first impression was "Did I make a mistake?" This wasn't much faster, or stronger than my Z with a full Ti Yoshi system on it. He rode it, and said "Maybe we need to regear", his son rode it and laughed and said "My R is faster". I was disappointed to say the least. Hang on guys it will get better!!
The Good - First off, I didn't get screwed by the dealer on price. I didn't get the great price the Oklahoma members are getting 6,500, and I didn't pay what other people are paying, anywhere from 9,000 to 11,000 from what I've read. Mine was 7,900 OTD here in southern AZ. First off just sitting on it feels good. The tank/seat junction is basically the same width as the Z. Not as skinny as the YZF, but if you like the Z, you'll like this. The seat is firmer, and thicker, but very comfy. Good stuff! The controls were all spot on, and had no problems with starting with the FI. As soon as you sit on the quad, it squats down nice and low, more good stuff. Shifting was great, like each gear was notch on the shift cogs. Not bad notchy, very good notchy, you felt the gears drop into place. I've heard that the suspension is stiff, but I go 6'2", and 225, so it should suit me well. You guys will be interested to know that Z parts will fit. I started to cannibalize my Z just for measurements, and realized that. I have a Yoshi front bumper on my Z, fit right on the Quadracer. So did my IMS kicker pegs, although they do tilt forward ever so slightly, sort of the attack position. I like it. My Yoshi fat grab bar did not fit. The stock bar has the rear fender bracketry, and light assembly welded to it. It's staying for now. First thing to go was the light, easy one screw off, then another for the bracket. OK guys here comes the good, no great part. Wanted to remove the "pea shooter". Tells you how in the manual 5-37 for cleaning it, but it's easy. What shocked me was the spark arrestor. When I pulled it out, the unit was about 6 inches long wire mesh, with an inch long solid metal cap around the end of it. Can you imagine? Picture the exhaust flowing through the pipe only to stop dead at that spot, seep around go through the mesh, then out the little opening. I put it back together, and took another spin. All I can say was OMG. Just taking that out woke up this animal like you couldn't believe. My friend took it out and said forget the regear, did you just get another quad? His son that laughed at me rode it, came back in and wouldn't talk to me, enough said! I figure for some type of legalities Suzuki had to stuff the exhaust. I'm telling everyone this should be your first mod. I'm not saying ride without a spark arrestor, I'm already trying to incorporate a screen, just try this. I can't even begin to imagine what a full Yoshi system will do to this motor.
The Bad - I know you guys will hate me, but you "JUST" can't take off the heel guards. Removing the heel guards, and bracketry takes away all support. The fenders are too flimsy, and will crack within minutes of riding, IMO. I spent roughly 2 to 3 hours cutting down, and then reshaping and smoothing with a dremel what was left of the brackets. I will spray them with some Krylon, LOL. It's the only thing you can do, until someone like IMS gets the pegs out, and will have the fender brackets with it, like they did with the Z. I'm still not all that crazy about gearing either. It's geared tall, too tall for the sand. The only problem is the bolt pattern is not like the Z, it appears to be Honda - like. I will tell more after next weekend. that's what I'll be doing next.
The Ugly - What in the world was Suzuki thinking when they were welding these quads. I mean it looks like "backyard welding 101" LOL. In fact I've seen better welding in backyards! Other members can back me up but it's a crying shame to see the welds all over the heel guard bracketry, and the pipe. There are weld strips that run off the muffler onto the pipe that look like a tiger paw raked a piece of meat. LOL. I know that Suzuki is rushing these out to meet demand, but we as customers are paying good money for a quality product. We deserve better, IMO.
I will try to post some "after" pictures next weekend when I get my brackets, and paddles on. I am a dune rider only (Glamis) so I don't have ant thoughts about track usage. I will be going to Glamis for the entire President's week. I will then have a full ride report. My final thoughts are this, this quad's the real deal, no matter what you have to pay for it. I couldn't be happier, and I think Suzuki hit a home run. When aftermarket parts become available, it will only make this quad better. Sorry for such a long post. Hope you enjoyed what I thought was an indepth look at the R450 from my thoughts. As the saying goes "That's my story, and I'm sticking to it"

Scott

Old 02-07-2006, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default NEW LT450 Owners

Awesome! Thanks Tanman, its good to here what sounds to be a truefull honest report on the quad. Cant wait to here more! Heck , cant wait to throw a leg over one and drop the clutch. I want to test the stock pipe, then take out the restrictor/spark arrestor and see the difference. I like doing those kinda comparisons. Especially when they give great results. Thanks again.

Old 02-07-2006, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default NEW LT450 Owners

what else do you all want to know, this guy covered it pretty well^^^^. no body has really seemed ot have raced them against other 450s yet but im sure when someone does youll hear about it. sorry i didnt give very good info in my other threads but ive only gone riding once since we got it. hopefully well be doin a lot more.

Old 02-07-2006, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default NEW LT450 Owners

Here's what I want to know:

How does it take a 70 foot double jump in 4th gear pinned? Has anyone bottomed the suspension yet? How about the axle? Is it ready for competition, or is it not up to aftermarket standards, and will it just bend because it is so wide?

I'm sure power is good on it. It's got EFI. And every motor wakes up with a non-restrictive exhaust.

Gust and Jones, and Zuk reps, have said you can take off the lid and add a slip-on pipe, and not adjust the EFI. Is this true, or just a gimmick? The same was said of the Raptor 700, and those were lies. These are the questions that need to be answered.

It was meant for the motocross track, and that's what someone needs to do. Take it to a real competition track, not someone's backyard, and hammer it over some uphills, big tables, doubles, triples and whoops. Then we will know if Suzuki did a good job with this thing or not.

Oh, and if anyone in Ohio wants to let me throw a leg over their's, I would greatly appreciate it, under your supervision of course. I'll be putting my raptor up for sale after my winter tear down, and I'd love to test ride one before I buy one.

Old 02-07-2006, 11:00 PM
Trailblazer
Default NEW LT450 Owners

Nice info Tanman. In Dirtwheels, when they were taking pics of Gust testing the Suzuki R450-there was a Honda 450R on hand and they said Gust easily beat it everytime in drag races. I don't think the suspension is going to bottom out--J. Jones said Suzuki made the suspension stiff-he thought way to stiff.

Trending Topics

Old 02-08-2006, 09:55 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NEW LT450 Owners

Originally posted by: zex129
Awesome! Thanks Tanman, its good to here what sounds to be a truefull honest report on the quad. Cant wait to here more! Heck , cant wait to throw a leg over one and drop the clutch. I want to test the stock pipe, then take out the restrictor/spark arrestor and see the difference. I like doing those kinda comparisons. Especially when they give great results. Thanks again.

Yeah what he said![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Thanx for the unbiased review Tanman, I really appreciate it. I just hope I can find someone to let me test ride it!

Old 02-08-2006, 02:37 PM
TPR
The Champ
Default NEW LT450 Owners

Well I would guess as EFI begins to become a standard thing it will allow the manufacturers to add more power, while being able to restrict it more stock to keep the lawyers happy. The EFI will be more easily tuned to be corked up then respond when they let her breathe.

TPR

Old 02-08-2006, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default NEW LT450 Owners

As far as the suspension goes, I think it's interesting to note that Jeremiah Jones had a DNF in his second moto at the Glen Helen GNC opener this past weekend. His rear linkage broke.

Still haven't heard whether the EFI needs to be tuned for a new pipe, air filter and lid removal.

Quick Reply: NEW LT450 Owners