Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

06 KQ changes

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 12:53 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 KQ changes

Originally posted by: aksafari
I test rode a friend's '05 KQ at the Oregon Dunes two weekends ago, and I HAULED ***** across the dunes. I felt absolutely no unusual steering effects. As a matter of fact, it felt amazing. The smoothest riding quad I've ever been on, and I'd just ridden my employee Jaysen's 05 Grizzly 660. The Grizz is smooth, but the King is smoother. I also didn't notice any so called "lag". Honestly, I have no idea what everyone is complaining about. If you guys wanted a race bike, you should have bought something else.
I couldn't agree more. This quad is plenty fast and amazingly stable at high speed for a utility ATV.

Old 02-25-2006, 02:11 AM
Trailblazer
Default 06 KQ changes

I read everybodies replies and thought I should speak up about this issue. The KQ handles excellent to be a 600+ pound machine. When I had the stock tires (briefly) on mine it handled very well at higher speeds. I then put on a set of 27" mudlites and it was still very stable. However, now I have a set of 27" Kenda Executioners and they are a different story. They have very aggressive tread hanging off the sides and with the rims I have they stick about an inch out of the fender. I have had them grab the logs and rocks at the edge of the path give the handlebars a good ******. The bike is still very stable on a well ridden trail at WOT, I just have to be careful at times. If you have a good grip on both bars when riding you really don't have a problem. It just makes my arms sore after a longer ride. I did expect it with the more aggressive tires though. It'd not like you are going to set any land speed records with those mud tires. You just have to use some common sense. I did however attempt to order the steering stabilizer from Denton Racing the other day and they said they were going to be out of stock for 2 more weeks. I will get one when they are back in stock. It really is not needed though unless you are going to some pretty aggressive tires.

Old 02-28-2006, 03:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 06 KQ changes

Yea LKGRenegade22 i was woundering how you like the HMF exhaust and that venom winch. I got a K&N air filter, HMF exhaust, and a power comander comming for my 06' king. I had HMF duals, EPI clutch kit and a lot of other aftermarkets on my 05 limited KFX700 and it made all the differance in the world. I also have a 3000 lbs. venom winch that is still in the box that i haaven't used yet.

Old 02-28-2006, 10:24 PM
Trailblazer
Default 06 KQ changes

Originally posted by: hairball81
Yea LKGRenegade22 i was woundering how you like the HMF exhaust and that venom winch. I got a K&N air filter, HMF exhaust, and a power comander comming for my 06' king. I had HMF duals, EPI clutch kit and a lot of other aftermarkets on my 05 limited KFX700 and it made all the differance in the world. I also have a 3000 lbs. venom winch that is still in the box that i haaven't used yet.

First the short answer. I have been impressed with the venom winch so far. I have submerged it numerous times and it still works great. I have basically abused the thing in a sense and I have had no problems other than the cable. I do not know if it was due to pulling in an occasional loose loop or that the cable was a cheap cable. Either way just replace it with a $50 winch rope and you wont have any problems. They are stronger anyways and you can handle them without gloves. Now, the HMF. I love my HMF slip on for the noise and the power gain. However, I think I am getting ready to change to a Yoshi. DavAsh on here has the Yoshi and the power commander and he told me he got a 22-24% power gain over stock with the correct custom map he has for the yoshi. He had to have his KQ dyno tuned to get it. The HMF map on the power commander site sucks, or so I have been told. It would cost me about $400 to get the atv dyno tuned plus no one around here does it so it would cost even more to get it taken to somewhere that could do it. Therefore, it is actually cheaper to buy the yoshi pipe ~$300 and the power commander that I can get for about $200 and just get the custom map from Dave and it will be good to go. Right know with the HMF my KQ is running very rich and I keep having to change plugs which is pretty aggravating even though it only takes a few minutes to do it. I did install the Twin air system this weekend which helped it a bit. I can now wheelie in high gear from a standstill which I couldnt do before. I do have a winch, the suzuki bumper and some extra lights up front with 27" tires so the front does weigh QUITE a bit more than stock.

Old 02-28-2006, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 06 KQ changes

I have nothing to say but good stuff about my KQ,I put it through some rough hunting situations,that my Rincon wouldn't handle.I have pulled trailers through clear cuts,and hauled hunting stands through deep mud holes.Carried two people and two large deer out through some bad roads,and not one hesitation...This is got to be the best four wheeler on the market.Love the no-choke on the cold mornings.

Old 03-01-2006, 03:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 06 KQ changes

I have heard that about the pc to but could you take the map from DavAsh and use the HMF that you already have. that might work because the Yohi and HMF pipes are desined a lot the same. If so that would save you some money. Is there alot of differance in the PC's map and the custom on that you are talking about. I am going to put all mine together this weekend that why i was wounering. I have done some differant map setting on my harley so i kind of know the basics of what to and not to mess with. Thanks Aaron

Old 03-01-2006, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default 06 KQ changes

Hairball, there is a big difference in the maps. if you get a Pc for your King, just send me your email and i will send you the maps and you can try for yourself. The Power Commander is not hard to use. You just set it and forget it. At least until someone comes up with a better map. lol.
Welcome to the forum.
Thanks
David

Old 03-01-2006, 10:50 PM
Trailblazer
Default 06 KQ changes

Originally posted by: hairball81
I have heard that about the pc to but could you take the map from DavAsh and use the HMF that you already have. that might work because the Yohi and HMF pipes are desined a lot the same. If so that would save you some money. Is there alot of differance in the PC's map and the custom on that you are talking about. I am going to put all mine together this weekend that why i was wounering. I have done some differant map setting on my harley so i kind of know the basics of what to and not to mess with. Thanks Aaron
I am going to try the Yoshi Map with my HMF pipe and see how that does first. If that does not work out I will just purchase the Yoshi.

Old 03-02-2006, 03:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 06 KQ changes

Yea DavAsh I am getting all my aftermarket stuff firday night. My email is monroerepair@sbcglobal.net if i could get that map from it would be appriceated. Thanks agin hairball81

Old 03-05-2006, 10:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 06 KQ changes

have hade mine for about1 year 1/2 had fair share of problems with it,2 -3 computers warrentee/recalls, witch slowed the bike down from 78 to 82mph to 70 to 74mph and f-up my reverse rev limiter-sucks large!!!!!!belt gone at 800km, replace clutch faces-grooves in them??.brought it to dealer because tie rods were junk,had play in them,dealer said sorry about your luck but then recall came out because of bent rods . have new ones now, new problem after last couple of rides dead left rear shock,battery junk and exhaust rotted off in front of muffler to pipe weld,this unit has back fired a few times-computer problem I SAY YES i think this weakened it . BUT I STILL LIKE THE BIKE.have raced it against brute force 2 or 3 of them,tuned grizzy,polaris won every time.bring on the bomb,frends told me not a chance