Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Z400 mod question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 01:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z400 mod question

How much is the Athena 434 and the Yoshi 450?

Im going to get my frame gusseted soon considering that I have a crack above the right shock mount. Its a hair line crack so I'm thinking that I can get it welded up and then get it gusseted. What do ya'll think?

The reason why I'm doing this is because I have a friend that went to MMI and is a certified mechanic. We are doing a trade. I give him my drumset and he does the work on my bike. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't be doing this for while. Since I'm not getting charged for labor, it's going to be cheap. I mainly ride trails that are by my house but I want to maybe enter myself in a couple of races and see how I do. Suspension is my next thing to buy.

Old 04-12-2006, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider

You can pick up the Z's athena 434 kit for around $600. Actually, there's one on eBay right now. What's funny is right on the box it states that best used with a Pro Circut pipe.... Yoshi must be happy with that....

Not sure what the Yoshi kit goes for. Mucky mentioned the Yoshi 450 kit was around 1500/2000.

Once I get my Z434 going (next weekend) I'll let the forum know how it worked out...

Old 04-12-2006, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider

I would say go with the 434 kit also with some cams and drz-e base gasket. I think that is the best bet. You can make some serious power with that setup. I have heard different things about the 03 frame. I think that most people that brake the frame are people hitting HUGE jumps. A lot of times people think there is a crack in the frame there but it is more then aften the paint just cracking. You can gusset it though if you are worried. I am not sure if everyone has heard but the 450 is having the same issues.

Old 04-12-2006, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider

i did a bunch of reseach on the 434 awhile back, i was told hammerheadz pistons make huge power in that kit. i think hammerheadz run about $200. go to gallery on this forum and find "stewbing". he has the 434 kit with port and polish,big carb and some other goodies. i saw him drag racing it at "clash of the titans" he was flat smoking yfz's and 450rs. its all how you set it up ,sorry and rider. i saw were you wanted to race it. well , you did say it was a 03'. you'll have to do something about suspention like everybody said. i have a 05' and its so much smoother than the 03-04's, even with the factory shocks.
if you havent noticed this is a great forum to find info, ive had nothing but good help on here. if i have ?'s i ask
mucky,black kawi 400,stew bing and s9195. good luck with your set up!!!

Old 04-12-2006, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

if you want ask murdr about the yoshi kit. he had it done and he would be able to tell you what was involved in it and what it costs
I think it comes with cams and port and polish
and kawiking thanks for the compliment. Mucky

Old 04-13-2006, 10:30 AM
Range Rover

I have heard alot of people shy away from the alba becouse of the noise(including me). untill I heard about the new wisper tip they have. It takes a little away from bottom end, but gives .6hp more in mid and top. I love it.

Old 04-13-2006, 11:31 AM
Trailblazer

I think i am going to go with the 434 as long as i can find a good price for one. Sounds like a great kit. If money gets tight though, i might have to go with the 440 kit. i'm going to get the drz-e base gasket also. That bumps up compression like 1 point, RIGHT?? That means compression going to be somewhere around 13.5. Should i run VP race only or can I do half VP-half super unleaded?

I heard the alba pipe was really loud. Thats the only thing that has stopped me from buying it. I might get tired of the noise after awhile. I could care less about about my neighbors getting mad because of the noise. They alreadly call the cops on me with my stock exhaust so its not really going to make a difference if I buy an aftermarket exhaust that is quiet or not. But I might buy that whisper tip to quiet it alittle.

I might as well gusset the frame because I don't feel like spending a bunch of money on a new frame. I pretty sure that the frame is cracked. The crack is almost half way around the metal tubeing. It used to be pretty small. Then I forgot about it and went jumping it. Nothing big. Just enough to do some no-handers and no-footers. Jumped it about 15-20 times and now its like that. Now I'm riding my banshee until i get it fixed.

Old 04-13-2006, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider

im pretty sure the 440 you get from like rocky moutain or e-bay you have to have bored for the sleeve. i know the 434 is a bolt on so you'll still have you stock cyclinder. i saw the 440 kit of alba's in dirt wheels and i believe its a bolt on to. i think it was $850??? not to bad for the kit and cams + some other goodies.

i'd find out what you really want and need first and do it right the first time. i should have went ahead and bought the 434 kit, but then again im glad i didnt because i had the money to by a 98 banshee to make my drag bike and now i can leave my kfx how it is and not go over board with it(really i mean that). you can spend alot of $$ trying to make these 400 scream,right??????!!!!!! i wont call anyone out (MUCKY, STEWBING!!!) im sure theirs others.

im really happy with how mines set up, yes $5 race gas sucks but worth it. its pretty quik and i can still ride it all day and have reverse!!! i was going yfz or kfx , i still think i made a great chose.

Old 04-13-2006, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

most 440 kits you have to have it bored first to have the sleeve installed. getting the bolt on kit is way nicer.
like me I have a 470 bolt on kit, if something happens
and I mess up the top end I can still put my 440 stock cylinder and piston back on and still ride
and like kawiking said some people like to spend lots of money and make it faster and faster, sometimes I think their nuts, wait a minute
I did that and most people think I crazy,LOL so like I said before once you start to change the quad you never stop