Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LTZ-400 Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 11:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LTZ-400 Exhaust

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good exhaust brand and model for my LTZ-400. I want more HP but also want great quality that doesn't require too much maintenance. I also need some jets and a bigger air filter. THANKS!!!!

Old 04-13-2006, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider
Default LTZ-400 Exhaust

you really arent going to feel much hp from exhaust. me and everybody on this forum will tell you , save your money and buy a full system not a slip on. yoshi comp $400 , there is tons of pipes out there and people will tell you theirs is better (yoshi) then somebody elses. they are all about the same , maybe 1 horse power diff, ive seen dirt wheels do a comparision and a $400 dollar system(yoshi) was 1 or 2 hp from a stock system with the silincer out. you need to look at sound (yoshi) , quality(yoshi) and price (yoshi). but the full (yoshi) system will help you more when you add other mods. make sure and order a jet kit when you order your (yoshi) pipe. jetting is very important. good luck, pick one (yoshi) that you think is good,dont let people(yoshi) persuade (yoshi) you.

Old 04-13-2006, 12:10 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default LTZ-400 Exhaust

THANKS BUD!

Old 04-13-2006, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider
Default LTZ-400 Exhaust

Yeah I agree it doesn't really matter much about the pipe it is when you do the pipe and the jetting. The stock jetting really chokes it out

Old 04-13-2006, 03:34 AM
Pro Rider
Default LTZ-400 Exhaust

yeah yeah... what kawiking(yoshi) said.. I completly(yoshi) agree with him....

keep in mind what you're doing when you change the header/pipe.... you're allowing more exhaust to exit the motor....this in theory gives you more power.... in order to optimise the exhaust you want to add more air.... when you add more air you need to balance that out with more fuel.... to add more fuel you need to go to a larger jet. This entire process is where the extra power comes from. You also may need to play with the needle in the carb to fine tune it....

oh yeah... make sure you buy the full(yoshi) system. This means you're adding the (yoshi) header and (yoshi)pipe. Trust me, it's only about $125 difference but you will notice a difference. If you don't buy the (yoshi)header upfront, you won't be able to buy a (yoshi)header later at all.... I don't know of a company that just sells the header pipes...

ooopppss forgot to mention that I kinda like yoshimura pipes myself on the (yoshi) Z400's....

Old 04-13-2006, 10:25 AM
Range Rover
Default LTZ-400 Exhaust

I like the(yoshi) as well but went with the full ALBA system(full pipe,jet kit,wisper tip,k&n filter with max flow adaptor) and I have to say the quad(05z400) smoked one set up the same way with a Yoshi. ALBA makes a really good(great) product. I would look at all your options and talk to a few more peeps before you dive in.

Old 04-13-2006, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider
Default LTZ-400 Exhaust

i will say(yoshi) my second favorite is the curtis sparks pipe. i know a couple of people with (YOSHI) the sparks and they love it(not as well as the yoshi) , it sounds good to. ive never really had the chance to hear one wide open . most of the time im in front of those people when we race(thanks to my yoshi) so i dont get to hear it that good. im sure they can tell you what the yoshimura full comp system i got from rocky moutain for $400 sounds like wide open. if you decide to go with something else thats alright , i like to hear people tell me how my 400 sounds(just dont drool on it please). good luck , if you need any more help i'll be glad to help!!!

p.s. if you are going to race , i know there are decibal restrictions so that may be something to look at.

Old 04-13-2006, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default LTZ-400 Exhaust

For the Z's. Yoshi works directly with Suzuki R&D. That's why I went with Yoshi. My 2nd pipe choice would be ESR (Eddie Sanders Racing), then Curtis Sparks in 3rd. 4th would be a CA company called Thunder Alley pipes... They sound great but most racers I know in the 400-450 pro class I know use the pipes listed above in that order...

Most of the riders use ESR or Sparks bacause that company built their motors.... (and probably got the pipe either at a good price or free....)

Old 04-14-2006, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default LTZ-400 Exhaust

Look into HMF, they are one of the only ones that you can buy a slip on first and then a header later. Most of them, the slip on has a smaller pipe diameter. With the HMF slip on, it necks down so that if you plan on getting the larger diameter header later on you just cut off the necked down section and the larger header fits right into or over it. It was intentionally designed this way so you could do it one piece at a time if you need.

The biggest reason I chose HMF was because of the dyno chart. It didn't have the highest peak HP gain but it was a nice smooth line throughout the rpm range. Yosh did give a nice gain throughout too, but the torque curve was very choppy and for more money.

The biggest difference I noticed was adding the big gun cdi. +1200 rpm and advanced timing curve. The timing change gives it great low end torque.

Old 04-15-2006, 11:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default LTZ-400 Exhaust

YOsh is the best quality for the price

Quick Reply: LTZ-400 Exhaust