Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

z400 a-arms

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default z400 a-arms

ok i know that i havent been on here for a while, but what can i say my wheeler hasnt needed any work on it. they are pretty much invinceable. but i do have a question. a while ago i tried to get my a arms powdercoated but was told that i couldnt bc the nylon bushings in the ball joints would melt. i know that the ball joints dont come out on the 02-04 models. my question is do they come out on the 05 models, and if not what quads' a-arms are interchangable so that the ball joints come out and i can powdercoat them. thanks

Old 04-18-2006, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default z400 a-arms

I think the 05 is the same as the 03/03 models. buy a nice set of aftermarket one that come with adjustible ball joints
and have it powdercoated. its an idea to think about

Old 04-19-2006, 01:59 AM
Pro Rider
Default z400 a-arms

Save yourself the time and headache and just get yourself a new set of aftermarket a-arms. They are out there on ebay from $350 on up. I just got a set of chrome LSR's for under $400. A seller on ebay named dirt-deals.com always has great prices on good quality stuff like LSR parts. A buddy of mine also got a set of powdercoated FullFllights for under $360 and they are pretty good quality for the price. .

The +2 +1's really make a difference in cornering and overall stability of the ride. You can run the stock shocks as long as you don't get the long-travel a-arms.

Old 04-19-2006, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider
Default z400 a-arms

yea thats all good but that is a little bit of coin. and also will those crome ones ding up and rust easily. what about paint wear from going through grass and what not?

Old 04-19-2006, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default z400 a-arms

Anything will ding up of course with rocks/wear/time etc... powder coat will eventually chip as well. Trust my on that one. It all depends on how you take care of it.

Same goes for chrome no matter how many times it's dipped. What I do with both sets of chrome LSR AArms I'm running on my blaster and Z400 is spray them down with WD40 after I wash the quads so they won't rust.

Just trying to give you a suggestion since I've been down this road already with aarms . (see my page for the quads if you don't believe me).

No matter what, you will get what you pay for. The seller on ebay I mentioned is the guy that my buddy got his aarms from that were actually pretty good for the price.

Old 04-20-2006, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default z400 a-arms

Yeah, I dont know about getting what you pay for. They are top quality most of the time and ARE a ton stronger than stock but you can pay up to, if not above, $900 for a set of A arms. Thats riddiculous. It cant cost that much to make them. Its not that much metal. I know all the welding and treatment adds more $ but I think they are overpriced. I hope that since the sport is growing more need fore these items will mean lower prices. Like cars or dirtbikes or something.

I want to get some A arms and an axle as soon as I can and as soon as I have money but they are dang expensive for what they are. But.... I think that widening my quad out is important enough. Anyways, how big of a difference do the +2 +1's make? I know that the +2 helps stability but what all does the +1 foreward change? Does it help keep the front end planted or help in the woops like a +# swingarm would? Just curious cuz I dont know if I want Just regular +2's or if I want the +2 +1's.

Old 04-21-2006, 04:20 AM
Pro Rider
Default z400 a-arms

I'm not sure how much the 1 inch forward would make on a full size quad but I know it helped out on my son's blaster. When taking a tight corner it helped him dive into corners at faster speeds better he said. It helps make the wheel base longer w/out having to go to a larger swing arm. Most people put longer swing arms to keep the front end down when pumping up the motor such as for drag racing. But it also helps we found in taking tight turns.

As for getting what you pay for... for MX racing I'd have to say that long travel a-arms are a must. And with the rough terrain involved any serious rider would rather drop the $$$ on good a-arms then finishing last or run the risk of not finishing at all for either getting dumped off due to suspension(which includes a-arms) or breaking something.... For TT like we do or just trail riding it isn't a must.... But I tell you what, there is a HUGH difference....

Most people that have been racing for awhile will actually say to pump up your suspension before you pump up your motor... Speed really isn't any good if you can't keep your wheels on the ground or control it....

strongtyerYFZ - I see you have spacers on your quad... unless you want to have to buy new spindles I wouldn't jump very far or land in the flats in hardpack dirt with the wheel spacers or lowering kits. Trust me... I've had to buy new spindles and rims because my son didn't listen... he was jumping with the stock front rims reversed also....

Just telling you from experience.... I much rather buy parts because I want to, not because I have to....

Old 04-22-2006, 01:34 AM
Pro Rider
Default z400 a-arms

Originally posted by: s9195
I'm not sure how much the 1 inch forward would make on a full size quad but I know it helped out on my son's blaster. When taking a tight corner it helped him dive into corners at faster speeds better he said. It helps make the wheel base longer w/out having to go to a larger swing arm. Most people put longer swing arms to keep the front end down when pumping up the motor such as for drag racing. But it also helps we found in taking tight turns.

As for getting what you pay for... for MX racing I'd have to say that long travel a-arms are a must. And with the rough terrain involved any serious rider would rather drop the $$$ on good a-arms then finishing last or run the risk of not finishing at all for either getting dumped off due to suspension(which includes a-arms) or breaking something.... For TT like we do or just trail riding it isn't a must.... But I tell you what, there is a HUGH difference....

Most people that have been racing for awhile will actually say to pump up your suspension before you pump up your motor... Speed really isn't any good if you can't keep your wheels on the ground or control it....

strongtyerYFZ - I see you have spacers on your quad... unless you want to have to buy new spindles I wouldn't jump very far or land in the flats in hardpack dirt with the wheel spacers or lowering kits. Trust me... I've had to buy new spindles and rims because my son didn't listen... he was jumping with the stock front rims reversed also....

Just telling you from experience.... I much rather buy parts because I want to, not because I have to....
Yeah, I agree. But I ride a Z400 now. I never ride that blaster. I hate it. I know what wheel spacers can do, at least to the front end. It makes it a lot harder to turn the bars too. I love the width though. I havent ridden that thing in months but my brother does ride it a little bit. He doesnt ride hard enough to break anything though. I AM surprised didnt break anything on it when I rode it.

I think after you get a pipe and maybe a few basic engine mods then for sure go to suspension next if not before. If I had the money right now I would deffinently buy a arms and an axle because I know how big of a difference it can make. It worth the money to me and I do consider myself a serious rider in that sense.

I dont know if <u>LT</u> suspension is a MUSTfor MX, but it sure does make a HUGE difference. I would say that regular suspension length and longer a arms and an axle would be good enough. LT shocks and other suspension components are quite a bit more expensive. I havent ridden a quad with a LT set up to compare the two set ups and judge if its WORTH the money though. For the regular rec rider/ weekend racer I wouldnt say LT suspension is a MUST but aftermarket suspension probably is. I have WORKS suspention up front on the stock a arm and I love it. 10 times better, and softer (when it needs to be), than stock.