Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

i thought the vinson was the fastest 500cc in its class

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 10:12 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i thought the vinson was the fastest 500cc in its class

There is no comparing performance of the Kingquad to the Vinson. The King can easily overcome the belt loss with cc's and fuel injection. And if you mud ride your feet are going to get muddy. I dont have to shift much when in deep mudholes anyway, just leave it in 1st gear or put it in second, the Vinson manual has more than enough power to spin my 26 inch bearclaws as deep as I want to get in second gear 4wd. The only catch is you get muddy as h**l.

Old 07-10-2006, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider

If ya want the extra speed/take-off get the "Standard", if ya want the ease of riding as I did, being able to put in one gear and not have to worry about it then get the auto. Its nice being able to ride around without worrying about what gear to be in. I decided I wanted a quad I could play on , and when I wanted to be a lazy rider I could , I accomplished this with the auto vinnie. i thought I would never buy an auto quad after growing up riding Semi -auto and standard bikes. After riding a friends kawasaki prairie 300 for about 6 hours one day (about 6 years ago) I became an auto believer, it was just so easy to operate. Of course it took me about 3.5 years to get my first auto from that day, I wanted to wait a bit until the auto trannies got more dependable. Now that we are at that point, auto cant be beat. A little more maintanance than the Semi's but just plain nicer.

Old 07-12-2006, 01:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

My 05' Vinson Auto does great in the mud. I've never rode a manual. Also, as for top speed, you cant rely of the speedometer, you need to GPS it. Mine would go 62 mph when I first bought it. My GPS read 59mph. I've since put ITP 27" Mud Lites and now it runs about 57 on the speedometer, and I've never checked it with my GPS, I'd say 55 or 56. Weight makes a huge difference. As far as the Polaris goes, my riding buddy had ( I say had ) a polaris 500 and was pure junk. He replaced the motor twice and had the tranny rebuilt. His extended warranty was maxed out and he junked the thing. I went everywhere he went and ran my vinson just as hard. Never raced for top speed though. I figure I could take him. Anyways hope this helps.

Just a note. If you want to go fast by a Brute Force.

'

Old 08-28-2006, 10:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have an 05 stock Vinon auto, I drag race all the time & beat almost eveyone in the class. I raced a Polaris 650 Sptorsman twim to about 55 MPH & wone by 4 ft,, twice. My top end on a flat dirt road is 60MPH. I ride tons of mud & have never had a problem with the auto,,, I have been stuck in 24" if water (covering the belt drive under water) & the Vinny had to sit for about 10-15 mins till I could get pulled out,, I had NO slipping of the belt at all after that (thought I might -- like my Polaris buddys always do). I love the auto in mud,, it punches through at all speeds with no shifting to find the right gear for the different speeds that I encounter through a long patch of mud,, I personnaly wouldnt trade the Vinny for a Polaris ever. FYI, I always beat the Honda Ricon 680 in any race or in any mud (have pulled the Rincons out of many mud holes) I love my Vinny,, wouldn't trade it.

Old 08-29-2006, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

Raptor....if you want a swingarm quad and an auto I would take a hard look at the BF 650 SRA.It is only a couple hundred dollars more than the Vinson,has a locker and has a 650 v-twin.The Vinson is a good machine but if you look at what you get dollar for dollar for the Bf 650 it's no comparison.....and yes it will be quicker.I have raced many Vinsons and there is no doubt the manual is quicker.I put an automatic one away pretty quickly but the 5 speed one hangs in there pretty good till about 3rd gear then it's bye bye and thats with an 02 Prairie with 2500 miles and bone stock except tires.My understanding the new 650 is much better with some of the improvements the carried over from the 750......just a thought...
02 650 camo

Old 08-30-2006, 12:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 2006 vinny auto stock and i raced my buddys 2006 honda foreman 4x4 manuel like 10 or more times down an old dirt strip in a field and my vinny beat him by half a track each time. i would say if your going to buy a 4x4 buy an auto and buy a vinny.

Old 08-30-2006, 07:26 PM
Range Rover

i like the brute 650 sra idea. a couple hundred more gives you an awesome v twin, locker diff, and you keep the handling of a solid rear axle if that's what you like. the king quad 700 is a nice one too. handles great for a irs machine so i hear, efi, good top speed, and also a locker. good gas mileage too! there's just too many nice machines for just a little more than a vinson, unless you gotta have a manual.

Old 08-31-2006, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the good reading guys im going to go out an try to find one of those Sportman 650 I bet will be really hard to find too. Thanks for the laugh[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-31-2006, 06:21 PM
Range Rover

i raced a 650 polaris the other day. much faster than the 550. it was a close race. if it wasn't for the fairy dust getting into my goggles i could have taken him. the troll that stopped us on the bridge had the new bombardier 900, sasquach and the abomidabal snowman both had brute force 800;s with efi. it was just a fun fun day of riding. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]