lt 500 that will stump you please help me

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 12:38 PM
RK
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt 500 that will stump you please help me

OK,
Please...........F250R I appreciate you trying to help, but seriously................... "Keihin carbs are designed for 32 to 1"..................... you gotta be kiddin' me...............right?
Your advice has caused a member to spend his hard earned money on something he probably did not need to do.
I know you were just trying to help, so let's just try to help him thru this w/out things getting out of control.
The specific dynamics involved w/worn slides causing a lean/high idle are fairly simple but suffice to say, every time there is an intake pulse (once per revolution) it "sucks" against the slide and the slide seals against the carb body.
The larger the "gap" in the slide/guides/bore clearance the greater the amount of air that bypasses the fuel discharge circuits.
Air going across the fuel discharge nozzle/holes is what "pulls" the fuel out to mix w/the air.
Obviously, if the slide gets worn enough you can't "compensate" thru jetting for the "bypassed" air BUT typically going up 1 or 2 sizes on the pilot jet will solve the "high/lean" idle condition.
ALSO, the OE carbs in the 80's were designed/calibrated for NON-OXYGENATED FUELS.............
ALL of today's pump gas is "clean burning"...................meaning OXYGENATED!!!!
Oxygenated fuels make the engine/carb run leaner................... period.
This, along w/the Zilla's poor OE combustion characteristics are the main reasoning why I DO NOT RECOMMEND using pump gas in a Zilla.
Long story short, Squall:
1:Take the Keihin off. (I can help you jet it if the Mikuni is really junk)
2[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]ut a #25 (one size larger) pilot in the OE carb and set the air bleed screw at 3/4 turn to start.
3: Use 100 octane min. fuel and run 24 to 1....I use Maxima 927 but there are many oils that work well.
Good luck,
RK

Old 10-13-2006, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider

Its says right in the directions with the carb if you read them 32:1 ratio 20 ounces of oil to 5 gallons of gas. I run this set up and didnt even have to rejet, i ran it out of the box and havent fouled a spark pulg in over a year because of this, 24:1 is hog rich run the carb at what its suposed to be run at and ur problem will disapear.

Old 10-14-2006, 04:41 PM
RK
Trailblazer

OK F250,
Here's some basic math to help you understand why your information is FOS.
1: A premix ratio of 32 to 1 vs. 24 to 1 will ONLY change the NET AIR/FUEL RATIO BY LESS THAN 1 PERCENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hello???
This is about the same effect on jetting as temp outside going from 70 degrees to 71 degrees.......... almost nothing........Capeesh?
2: You put your 39mm carb on a 250cc MOTOR!!!!................... His is a 500 CC MOTOR!!!!!
THEY ARE NOT THE SAME!!!!!!
That is like telling someone that the 600CFM Holley carb you put on your 350 C.I. small block motor that uses Walmart 10/40 oil will work perfectly with the same jetting on a 698C.I. big block as long as he uses 10/40 Walmart oil instead of the 20/50 he uses now.......... GMAFB!!!
I know you are trying to help but puulllleeease do some more homework before you claim something will work for sure.
Good luck,
RK

Old 10-15-2006, 04:09 PM
Trailblazer

ok RK i will step up to the next size pilot jet and remix the fuel for 24 : 1 and put the mikuni back on it is easily swappable. Oh and i spoke to my shop's mechanic and he confirmed everything you said about diesel engine's and he said the possibility of the pilot messin that much with my idle is definately possible. So i really did not know what i was talkin about for the most part. So now I will follow you into a black hole if need be. This is going to take me a while because my shop might not have the jet i will try to pick it up this week though so i will follow those directions and keep you posted Thanks again

Oh and btodd i don't know what i did to offend you but i am sorry.
I still although do not understand what you are telling me to do but now i will be doing both so no more reason for you to be so hostile.

Thanks f250r for all your help please do not stop responding to the message board it is still very helpful any advice that you might have