Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Z needs a rebuild...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z needs a rebuild...

Alright, she finally went. Just died when I was loading her up, glad it happen then and not in the trails. Wouldn't start back up, plug was ok, checked compression... what compression? So basically what I'm asking is what's the best way to go for a budget, but wanting to make this rebuild worthwhile. The three options I was looking at were the Athena kit (like $450ish), Wiseco big bore ($250 plus $200 cylinder work), or JE HC +2mm ($140 plus about $150 labor). The only benefit I see with the Athena kit is saving on labor, and that comes to about the same as the Wiseco after labor. I'd save some on the JE but would it be worth doing? Whichever I do I'm putting in an intake HC. Any other suggestions? Also getting a DID cam chain and new tensioners. I want to do this once! Thanks for any help guys.

Old 08-21-2006, 06:33 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

There is an Athena kit on ebay now. Can't remember the price, but might save you some $$.

Old 08-21-2006, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

i'd do the athena kit, and while its apart get some kibble white valves and springs for the head and have it ported if its not done yet. and what about cams? if you are still running stock get a set of hot cams or web cams for it. you'll like what they do for power

Old 08-22-2006, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

What specs should I know for porting the head if I get Int and Exh Hotcams? Or should the shop know what to do by the info with the cams? I was originally only planning on an Int cam and no porting but if it's worth it... might as well I suppose. How about the Kibblewhite valves with DRZE springs? Anyone have any opinions on the JE 453 kit? It comes with a sleeve. If I'm going to spend this much money (didn't really plan on it...) might as well make sure I get everything. What about jetting and ignition? Will the Mikuni carb be fine? And what about the cams, will they fit fine or is the shim kit really needed? Think that's all the Q's I have...

Old 08-22-2006, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

a good shop will know how much to port the head, drz springs would work great, if you do the intake cam only, its for low end power.
any kit that comes with a sleeve you still have to pay a machine shop to install it, your carb should work fine but you will have to rejet it and yes you will have to reshim the cams for the valve lash no matter what valves or cams you use

Old 08-24-2006, 10:13 AM
Pro Rider

Athena kit (like $450ish)
Where did you find this price?

From what I read porting is only good for a couple hp if done right. If not done right it can easily cost a couple hp.

Will the Mikuni carb be fine? And what about the cams, will they fit fine or is the shim kit really needed?
You can buy single shims from a dealer. You dont need the whole kit. The carb will work fine, but you will get more from a bigger carb. My 39mm FCR was one of my best mods.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah I was definitely wrong on the Athena kit price. $600 is average. Well, I'd prob just have the shop install cams and valves/springs if I get the head ported and have them get the shims needed. But then maybe I should just get a +2mm JE high compression piston and bore my cylinder to save some money. I know I'll get more out of the Athena kit, but I didn't have a problem with power before, and adding an intake cam (still uncertain about porting the head and exh cam), with stronger valves and springs should already be better. I don't know, I just don't have $1200 to go all out and hate not to ride for like 2 months... undecided.

Old 08-24-2006, 11:28 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Yoshimura makes a 450 kit, but i cant remember the price.

Old 08-25-2006, 02:03 AM
Pro Rider

its like over a grand if I remember correctly

Old 08-25-2006, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider

Over a grand... naa. Ha, I'd love to spend tons of money on my bike, just can't. I dunno I'm just gonna see what happens financially after the next two weeks or so. I need to sell my freakin Trans Am is what I need to do ha.

Quick Reply: Z needs a rebuild...