Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

KQ 700 efi

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default KQ 700 efi

I have a quadmaster but am upgrading and need help on what to get. I love the power of the Brute 750. Will the KQ 700 do a wheelie? I'm sure it has lots of power. I want something reliable. There are a few good deals on polaris 700. Are they any good?

Old 09-03-2006, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KQ 700 efi

Well.. the Bf 750's low end power is very good in comparison to the King in stock form, and it's V-twin motor really pulls hard, but aside from power the king has it beat in every category, handling, ride, 4wd system, fuel mileage you name it the King does it better. The King is an excellent ATV in every other category except for low end grunt though, the reason is due to a severe detuning of the King's 695cc motor under 2000 rpms, retarded timing and leaned out fuel make the low end engine performance very sluggish and it is hard to pull wheelies without extreme body english, trust me I just have given up on wheelies on my King. After about 10 mph though the King is fast and tops out at 72mph (on the speedo). There is a fix coming for this in October though, a company out of Canada called Velocity Devices Inc. is in the process of building/testing a replacement ECU that will fully restore the King to it's proper power level, which they are claiming is going to be on par with a BF 750, low end mid range and top end.

So what you should really do is test drive both of these ATV's if you can...If you can ignore the BF 750's power advantage it has over the King and look at it's bad handling and ride then you'll fall in love with the King, and if the King's power isn't as impressive as you had hoped remember the ECU is coming that WILL restore full power and make it a powerhouse just like the BF 750. As for the Polaris 700, they have an execellent ride but they are to heavy, which takes away from their performance, and Polaris' reliablity isn't near Suzuki and Kawasaki.

Old 09-03-2006, 09:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default KQ 700 efi

Thanks for the info. If I look at a used KQ 700. Any tips that I should pay attention to when I look at it? I want to make sure I am getting a good one.

Old 09-03-2006, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KQ 700 efi

If you buy used there's one very important issue to check, The stock filter used in the King let dirt through into the motor in several cases, it didn't seal well enough on the bottom foam portion of the filter and some people who drove in extremely dusty conditions found out that a ton of dirt entered their motor and was slowly ruining it, some needed rebuilds at 300 miles some at over 1000 miles...But these are mostly guys that rode in groups where the dust really gets stired up. I had my stock filter on my King for 900 miles and I could see some dirt on the butterfly valve where the air enters into the motor, but I've since changed to the Uni Filter and I haven't had a problem yet 400 miles later. So the signs to look for are blue smoke coming out of the exhaust and thick dirt on butterfly valve..if the owner of the King your looking at refuses to let you take out the filter and look at the butterfly valve tell him you won't purchase it until you see it for yourself if it's extremely dirty stay away. The best thing would be if you could find a used King that's had a Uni Filter or Twin Air filter the whole time. If you buy your King new (which I recommend b/c of this problem) then replace the stock filter with a oiled foam Uni Filter..I'm not sure if the 2006 models have any better of an air filter but still it's a cheap $30 to protect your motor b/c the stock one on the 2005 models and most likely 06, doesn't do a very good job.