Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

2003 Eiger 400 Carb Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 02:40 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Eiger 400 Carb Problems?

I have a 2003 Eiger 400 4x4 Manual with about 1500 miles on it. The first time it acted up I rolled it over when it was about 6 months old and after doing that it woudn't run without the choke on it would dog out so I ended it up taking it to the dealer who spent all day to figure out that the air breather hose which was poorly routed from the factory was pinched and they charged me for it.

Since then I have had similar problems where it would dog out and just run poorly usually if I screwed with that breather hose and unkinked it or whatever it would seem to run ok up until recently. Before labor day weekend at haspin I was riding a wheelie up the drive and when it landed it died and would not run at all so I changed the spark plug etc. which wasn't it and ended up taking it to the shop. Just as I was about to give up we decided to blow some air into the breather line for the carb and after doing that it would run again but still lacked power which it is still doing so last night we decided to tear it apart. Well once we got the bottom half of the carb off we noticed some dirt in the needle seat and such and cleaned it and put it back together but it's still running as bad as yesterday.

So I guess I need to pull apart the top of the carb and see what is going on there but I also wanted to know if anyone has switched to a different jet or has had any problems with their fuel petcock. Because last night I noticed the reserve doesn't even seem to work where it has in the past and in general it seems less powerful than it used to. Any direction would be appreciated.

Old 10-13-2006, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

I don't like the carbs on the beasts. They seem to get dirt from God knows where, and they are always just full of it. If you find a good solution let us know. Last time I had issues, it was a grass seed stuck in my main jet. Riddle me that.

Old 10-13-2006, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

get some carb cleaner and spray it in the main jet and pilot jet spray it both ways through the holes making sure all of the dirt is out and make sure you can see throught it...Then check the diaphragm in the top of the carb and see if it runs any better after inspecting these things...Make sure th giaphragm isn't torn and is seated right...Then if all of that seems to be fine then try putting the needle at different clips to see if there is any difference...After that just check all of the vent lines and make sure the intake boot is connected to the carb correctly...What color were your spark plugs by the way.

Old 10-14-2006, 06:24 AM
Range Rover

My spark plug looked pretty good maybe a bit white which is what lean it wasn't by any means carboned up or anything. I completely tore it down again last night with little avail actually I think it runs worse than it did the night before :/ We cleaned everything that we could find that would come apart and blew anything possible out with carb cleaner and air as well. Unscrewed everything and cleaned it. However the diaphram boot seems like it's a little stretched out the night before it was just backfiring a little and stuff, but after last night it won't rev up hardly at all. I am to the point I am becoming quite frustrated with this thing. It's been up on jack stands for a month now after nickel and diming me to death with maintenance items and now this. If it keeps this up I just might have to take the loader cover it in dirt and turn it into a jump for the new outlander!

Old 10-14-2006, 07:07 AM
Pro Rider

I can't ride a wheelie on my manual Eiger, I tried, even in low range, 1st gear, full throttle, with extra weight on the back. can't do it.

Old 10-14-2006, 07:15 AM
Range Rover

Well mine was a neutral drop into gear that's the only way the front end on this turd will come up. Not like the green bomb that is hard to keep down even if you are leaning over the bars.

Old 10-14-2006, 12:26 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I hear adding a $2 inline fuel filter on a Eigher is a must. I researched them when I was looking for a good used one,but they don't come up for sale much around my area.

Old 10-14-2006, 02:24 PM
Range Rover

When it's fixed i'm definately going fuel filter crazy, but I still have heard of people getting stuff in there with a couple filters.

Old 10-14-2006, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It only take's a grain of sand or dirt to foul your carburator, did they check the valve clearance ? And when you took the carb off for cleaning, did you use compressed air to blow it out ? When you rolled it did it bend your handle bar's ? If so it could have streathed your cable's causing the choke cable to be in a bind, this happened to me on my 93'suzuki KQ 300 4wd quad. I had to remove the rack's and plastic's then cut the tie strap's to get all the cable's to work properly, they were bunched together so bad the choke and hand brake cable made it hard to ingauge the brake's ! One other thing to check is the intake tube that connect's to the engine and carb and carb to air box, replace the fuel line with premium tygon fuel hose and an inline clear fuel filter. You can get the fuel line and clear fuel filter from any small engine repair shop, and it will cost less than the honda dealer get's for the old black rubber fuel hose and last's ten times longer! The only strainer that come's factory on the quad is on the end of the petcock that bolt's to the gas tank it could be stopped up. If you get it fixed put some seafoam in the gas tank with fresh fuel it's a fuel cleaner/stabilizer and will clean the intire fuel sytem and combustion chamber you can get it at O'reaillys, auto zone,advance auto part's store's; it's some very good stuff !................... I hope this help's...........williebee

Old 10-14-2006, 08:51 PM
Range Rover

I did try blowing everything out with air and carb cleaner and will probably try again on monday after work, however when I rolled it didn't bend the bars and in the process I have even tried leaving the choke cable completely disconnected from the carb and it still does the same thing. :/

Quick Reply: 2003 Eiger 400 Carb Problems?