Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

EFI has Choke?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EFI has Choke?

KA24DE

Why did you name yourself after a Nissan engine?

Old 11-01-2006, 01:41 AM
Pro Rider
Default EFI has Choke?

I think it has more to do with the whole marketing concept, trying to make the 450 different from the 700. When charging less money you get fewer features conversely when you pay more bucks for a 700 you get more than just a bigger engine.
I would rather they eliminated the choke and keep it as a full EFI system.
Just my thoughts.

Old 11-01-2006, 04:14 AM
Pro Rider
Default EFI has Choke?

The problem is that the EFI systems being used on ATVs are very, very rudimentary. They cannot adapt to changes in things like exhaust and intakes without changes to the ECM mapping in many cases. From what I can determine they just don't have the array of engine sensors or the ability to adjust the engine parameters to compensate for those sorts of changes. They can adjust for temperature and altitude and such but that is about it. A huge advance over carbs but definitely not up to the level of a higher end computer controlled electronic fuel injection system with more sensor inputs with more adjustment parameters.

I would imagine they're trying to keep the costs and complexity down. After all we're submerging these components underwater and mud and beating them unmercifully in some of the worst conditions for electronics imaginable. These are the first generation of EFI units used on ATVs after all. They've been used on cars for decades now so there is a lot of catching up to do.

But yeah, the "EFI enrichment" does seem a bit pathetic. Just yank the EFI gear off the KQ and adapt it for pete's sake. They should have been able to work through those kinds issues.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:55 AM
Trailblazer
Default EFI has Choke?

i was at the dealer looking at yami 700 and the sales guy fired it up and it was runing at fast idle he said it would kick down when it warmed up?. is that the norm ??

Old 11-01-2006, 02:39 PM
Trailblazer
Default EFI has Choke?

Originally posted by: aksafari
KA24DE

Why did you name yourself after a Nissan engine?
why not? why did you name yourself safari? and by the way, atv fuel injection is way different than fuel injection on cars and trucks.

Old 11-01-2006, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default EFI has Choke?

Why would it be different? If it's called EFI, it's EFI. Electronically Controlled Fuel Injection. How, please explain, could it POSSIBLY compensate for altitude w/o either a MAFM or a MAP sensor? It's a contradictory set of ideas.

Old 11-01-2006, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default EFI has Choke?

Originally posted by: aksafari
Why would it be different? If it's called EFI, it's EFI. Electronically Controlled Fuel Injection. How, please explain, could it POSSIBLY compensate for altitude w/o either a MAFM or a MAP sensor? It's a contradictory set of ideas.
It was said above that there are not O2 sensors and all the other sensers on a vehicle because of complexity and price. If it had the same computer as a car it could compensate for exhaust and air filters, ect.

Old 11-01-2006, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default EFI has Choke?

some computers are very basic in how they operate, "example" sandrails have a set perimiter in the computer data, they dont use O2 or map or even air flow sensors they mostly run off of the TPS, the injector pulse is preset so when the throttle opens it changes the fuel delivery,the computer controls the spark timing by cam/crank sensors. some quads might be the same. Im not up on the EFI that quads have. and if you think back the corvette had fuel injection in the late 50"s that didnt have all those sensors on it

Old 11-01-2006, 11:23 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default EFI has Choke?

Originally posted by: mucky
some computers are very basic in how they operate, "example" sandrails have a set perimiter in the computer data, they dont use O2 or map or even air flow sensors they mostly run off of the TPS, the injector pulse is preset so when the throttle opens it changes the fuel delivery,the computer controls the spark timing by cam/crank sensors. some quads might be the same. Im not up on the EFI that quads have. and if you think back the corvette had fuel injection in the late 50"s that didnt have all those sensors on it
good point.

my problem is, why does everyone always have to complane? i meen, so yeah you might have to use thise EFI choke lol but i meen that how it works, be happy and dont complane about it.

i meen are people so lazy that it would bother them to pull a little lever back for a min or less to get your quad running?

Old 11-01-2006, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default EFI has Choke?

I'll say it again...

How, please explain, could it POSSIBLY compensate for altitude w/o either a MAFM or a MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor?

How?

Honda experimented with PGFI in the 80's and early 90's. It was lame. Some sort of airflow sensing scheme is critical to a proper EFI system. Simply having a 'Map' based on throttle position doesn't account for changes in altitude, air density from temperature (unless there is an intake temp sensor), air density changes from humidity, air filter quality, etc. It's a defunct idea that should be relegated to the trash heap of engineering failures.

That's what I'm saying. Get me now? It's a bad design.

Whether the Suzuki system is this way or not, I have no idea, and neither does anyone else here, I'd bet. Some educated guesses maybe, but we need hard data, not guesses.

Quick Reply: EFI has Choke?