Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Vinson questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 01:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vinson questions

Has anyone had any prob's with this atv? Just researching to see which one I want, I have a 2wd and want a 4wd. I thought the CanAm first, but it has the auto tranny with the belt and I like to play in water and mud, slipping belts dont sound good. Does the Vinson have a belt or is it gear driven all the way? It is between this and a Honda Foreman right now. All the other brands go to the auto tranny at the 475-500 size. Also, does it have an independent rear suspension or straight axle? Is the single rear disc brake in the center on the drive shaft or on the axle? Thank you all for your help.
Joey

Old 03-06-2007, 01:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Vinson questions

I have a 2005 500 It does have a straight rear axle and the rear braking system is a disc and its on the right side
I bought it new this time last year and I've had good sucess with it so far. I have had a couple of very minor probelms but they were fix'ed without taking into the dealer for repairs
I have 756 miles on it currently and 2 oil changes that were performed here not at the dealer,
I'll list the minor problems below but I feel with the amount of abuse this has taking its not really problems just some minor maintance

1.the 2 bolts came loose on the hand shifter, (Its an Auto) took 2 to 3 mins to fix

2.The rear brake on the right side (foot Brake) where the cable meets the lever in the back of the atv, there is a pin with a carter key it fell off, Solved it on the road with a small bolt and nut, replaced it when we returned home a 5 min job

3. lost 2 of the fasteners on the plastic simple fix I own a body shop and Honda,Chevy and ford inner fender clips will fix it, and they are much cheaper then buying them from your dealer,

So those are the only problems I have encountered so far

I do have a question though
I've changed the oil 2 times so far using the factory oil for the ATV, but I have alwayed smelt burning oil, I've pulled off all the skins and check for an oil leak, check around the oil filter, around the heads and lower end I cant find a leak anywhere, Letting it sit there is not oil dripps, (lower skid plate removed to check) I cant find it anywhere, No power loss either infact the power has increased and I think its due to the motor breaking in, But has anyone experianced this smell in the 500,
The trans is fine so far as well
If you have and input I would love to here it
Bryan

Old 03-06-2007, 06:02 PM
Range Rover
Default Vinson questions

the vinson is available in both standard and auto. Have you gone on the suzuki web site to look at the specs?
I have over 5200km on my 2004 auto now and its a great so far with no major issues. I had the same problem as above with the shifter screws falling out and the pin on the break peddel but it was an easy fix. I replace the front wheel bearings at about 4500km and the swing arm bearings a few hunderd km's after (I rode 2 up for about 2000km may have stressed the swingarm bearings?) replaced the brake pads about 4200km, but that stuff is to be expected. I'ts a great machine for me goes where I want and pulls whatever I hitch up to it. I recommend replacing the stock tires with something better such as 26" mud bugs I did so about 4500km and what a difference with the new rubber. Oh the stock plastic skids arn't that great i have a big hole in mine under the engine and split the rear diff guard on a rock a few months ago.

PSYCHOSTROKER,
that oil smell you refer to could be the gaskets in the engine getting broke in mine had an oily sort of odar for a while when new.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Vinson questions

We have 2 o6 Vinsons and love them. Not one problem. I think that for an all around quad you would be satisfied.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Vinson questions

Thanks for the up date it really helps out
I really want to put a winch on it as well but I'm at a cross roads with what kind I should buy
I posted in another topic about ti but so far I have not got a response

Old 04-05-2007, 02:16 AM
Trailblazer
Default Vinson questions

We have a 2003 Vinson 5 Speed with 2800 miles, 2003 Ozark with 1700 miles, and a 2005 Eiger 5 Speed with 1100 miles. They have all been great machines and we have never had a single problem with any of them. All of our riding is on rocky Arizona mining roads. Arctic Cat also makes a 500 5 Speed with IRS but it's heavier than the Vinson.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:27 AM
Range Rover
Default Vinson questions

I have a 05 Vinson M with 1600 miles on it that I purchased new. I just bought another 05 Vinson M with 350 miles on it. I just added a few mods to the second one. I am very pleased with these machines and highly recommend the Vinson M to anyone. Check out the pics of my first one on the left.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:55 PM
Trailblazer
Default Vinson questions

here's a link to soem Vinson info:
VINSON INFO

the vinson has one of the closest CC engines of the 500 class. you get 493cc, compared to the formans 475cc. along with the added compression of the vinson (10.2:1) it's a torque monster!! now granted it may not ride the best, compared to some of the others, but the performance is worth it!

the group we ride with concist of: 2- 660 GRIZ, 500 Forman, 400 Eiger (my co-worker), 2-400 Big Bears, and my 500 Vinson.........

i've been complimented on my choice of ATV's buy the 2 guys that drive the grizzly's about the performance of the Vinson! they had never riden with anyone that had a Vinson. my friends Eiger is darn good machine too! the Vinson just is an over all great machine! kinda reminds me of a lifted 4x4 truck ...........it's powerfull, rides kinda rough, but not bad enough to be uncomfertable, sturdy and solid!

it pulls me around with ease, i'm 6'2"/230lbs, and id don't skip a beat when my wife goes riding with me either!

for the $ i'd go with the Vinson! the difference between the Forman, and the Vinson in price was $400 after all my negotiating between dealers........i'm glad i went Suzuki!! when we get around to our next purchase (for my wife), it will be a Suzuki (either an Eiger or a Vinson)!!