Your professional opinion

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 07:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Your professional opinion

Originally posted by: IL0VELAMP
Ok so oil brand is important, what about the filter? Anyone know if those stainless steel reusable ones are any good?
That is a good question. I too am curious for some opinions on these. Has anyone seen any test results(link?) and are there any pitfalls when using these?

Old 03-07-2007, 07:54 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok i checked this out, as you know atv's and motorcycles have similar oil managment systems. One oil is used in clutch/tranny/engine. So i found this website for motorcycles, it compares oils made for motorcycles and automotive oils. After a year of testing, both automotive oils and motorcycle oils, when used in a motorcycle had the same viscosity. So manufacturers are jumping the price on motorcycle oils when they offer the same protection as automotive oils. I'm sure the same goes with ATV oils, since they are identical. Take a look, it goes into GREAT detail.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/oiltest1.htm

Old 03-07-2007, 09:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

OIL IS OIL IS OIL[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-08-2007, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: IL0VELAMP
Ok i checked this out, as you know atv's and motorcycles have similar oil managment systems. One oil is used in clutch/tranny/engine. So i found this website for motorcycles, it compares oils made for motorcycles and automotive oils. After a year of testing, both automotive oils and motorcycle oils, when used in a motorcycle had the same viscosity. So manufacturers are jumping the price on motorcycle oils when they offer the same protection as automotive oils. I'm sure the same goes with ATV oils, since they are identical. Take a look, it goes into GREAT detail.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/oiltest1.htm
Most auto oil have friction modifiers to improve gas mileage and reduce emissions. Using these types of oils in a wet-clutch system will cause the clutch to slip.....

If there are still any auto oils out there without these specific additives then perhaps you could use them in a wet-clutch system....

Old 03-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

Originally posted by: YAAMULE
That's not entirely true..... I have seen catastrophic failure a lot more with traditional oils compared to synthetics......

There is a reason that virtually all of the better named oils are now at least partially or 50% synthetic.....

Even Motorcraft oils that your Ford dealer is pumping into cars from the bulk tanks are now 40-50% synthetic.

Oils with higher wax content leave buildups even if they are changed like clockwork....

Old 03-08-2007, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

Using oils with friction modifiers WILL cause a wet clutch to slip? Wow, with that kind of assurance, I guess it's just a matter of time before the Valvoline synthetic blend I use in my Eiger is going to cause slippage, huh? I mean, since you're SURE it WILL cause slippage, it must just take a little time. Maybe a little more than 1000 miles? Or 3 years? Maybe I should just keep it a secret from MY quad, since it doesn't seem to know it SHOULD be slipping... right?

Maybe you should keep opinions separate from facts. Giving bad advice is worse than no advice at all.

I have NO direct evidence that "friction modifiers" will cause a wet clutch to slip. Just like we have no direct evidence that following the factory recommended break-in will actually affect engine life.

My recommendation, LAMP; Gather what information you can and make your own decision. Virtually every piece of info you get in this forum is either pure speculation, or at best, educated opinion. It's up to you to decide what's right.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

Originally posted by: aksafari
Using oils with friction modifiers WILL cause a wet clutch to slip? Wow, with that kind of assurance, I guess it's just a matter of time before the Valvoline synthetic blend I use in my Eiger is going to cause slippage, huh? I mean, since you're SURE it WILL cause slippage, it must just take a little time. Maybe a little more than 1000 miles? Or 3 years? Maybe I should just keep it a secret from MY quad, since it doesn't seem to know it SHOULD be slipping... right?

Maybe you should keep opinions separate from facts. Giving bad advice is worse than no advice at all.

I have NO direct evidence that "friction modifiers" will cause a wet clutch to slip. Just like we have no direct evidence that following the factory recommended break-in will actually affect engine life.

My recommendation, LAMP; Gather what information you can and make your own decision. Virtually every piece of info you get in this forum is either pure speculation, or at best, educated opinion. It's up to you to decide what's right.
I'm talking about a MANUAL clutch not an auto clutch.... Your Eiger does not have a manual clutch so it does not appy ..........

Maybe you should comprehend before you accuse me of handing out poor advice......

Old 03-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Opinions of others do count thats why the question was raised by ILOVE about oils and ect. I've a ? for u ILOVE, have the failure u seen been on ATV's or Cars? I've owned ATv's for over 20 yrs and not one clucth failure from 10w-40w cheap oil. I do ride the H--l out of them all year but I change the oil every 20 hrs or 3months. Maybe I'm just lucky on failures from oils and clutchs but oil is oil is oil just be sure to change it on regular times or months
so everyone should play NICE

Originally posted by: ss97
Originally posted by: YAAMULE
That's not entirely true..... I have seen catastrophic failure a lot more with traditional oils compared to synthetics......

There is a reason that virtually all of the better named oils are now at least partially or 50% synthetic.....

Even Motorcraft oils that your Ford dealer is pumping into cars from the bulk tanks are now 40-50% synthetic.

Oils with higher wax content leave buildups even if they are changed like clockwork....

Old 03-08-2007, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

So, you're saying that a STOCK wet clutch (manual, hand-lever operated) will slip when you use ordinary motor oil?

Gee, I should tell my Dad, so his Suzuki GSX850 clutch doesn't start slipping. I mean, it's 20 years old, but you never know, right? It might start slipping unexpectedly!

My statement about opinion was valid. I'm trying to give a guy fair warning that just because someone says 'it's always this way', doesn't mean it's so. In my experience, it's not so. Draw your information from many sources, and come to your own conclusion. In the end, you learn from your own experiences, not someone elses.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:50 AM
Range Rover

It is true that some oils that have friction modifiers, synthetics and some petro based, will cause clutches to slip in semi- auto applications. I can not say this for true manual clutches, lever operated, but I was told by motorcycle mechanics not to use oils with friction modifiers in a wet clutch system. I believe the book the bike came with should cover this. A fried of mine put Castrol synthetic in his AC400M. When he told me I told him he screwed up and the clutch would slip. Guess what, it slipped and he had to change his oil four times to get the clutch to grab good again.
To your question ILOVELAMP, my educated and experienced suggestion would be to change the oil and filter as often as you can. Riding conditions play a big role in how often you should change it. I run Amsoil synthetic in my semi-auto Vinson made specifically for wet clutch applications.

Quick Reply: Your professional opinion