Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Your professional opinion

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 12:09 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your professional opinion

When it comes to changing your oil, i've always heard that its better to use low quality products and change often than high quality products and not as often. If i change my quads oil every 20 hours of riding or so with a 2.99 tusk oil filter and 2 quarts of cheap atv oil, is this just as good as buying expensive oil and filters and changing it once a season?

Old 03-06-2007, 12:12 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

I wouldn't skimp on the quality of oil. A weak oil can ruin an engine in no time. As for the filters, there are lower priced ones out there that do a good enough job. Just wouldn't trust any filter that is orange. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-06-2007, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider

i'd be changing it every 20 hours wit the best synthetic oil you can buy....AMSOIL

costs me about 35$ every oil change thats 3 litres of oil and filter

Old 03-06-2007, 04:27 PM
Trailblazer

from my experience with engines, i'd say that if you wanna cut costs do it with the filter not the oil!! the cheaper oils tend to gum up and leave sludge in your engine and it will build up over time!! it might build up slower if you change it frequently but it still will!! stay away from any wax based oils, which most cheap oils are!! the filter on the other hand won't be as important if you use good oil and keep stuff out of your motor!! personally i just pay the money for top products, the money you save by going cheap usually ends up less than the engine rebuild so you gotta decide.. spend the money now or later!!! just my 2 cents, opinions will vary.. oh and fram oil filters aren't my choice either.. i'm with ya on that Scootergptx

Old 03-06-2007, 06:44 PM
Range Rover

Every 20hours?
I would be changing the oil 2 or 3 times a week in the winter when I have plenty of time to ride the quad if I did it every 20hours. I go about 2000km or every 6months as it says in the book. Sometimes I'll be hauling wood with the quad for 7 or 8 hours a day and go for a 20km (45min) ride in the evening before supper like I did this evening.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

vinny, your fine with that maintenance schedule on the Vinson. The LT-R450 motor is going to get expensive to keep running unless it gets frequent oil changes. In general, the 450 racers get worked hard and like to rev to make power. More of an extreme case scenario. I stick to higher quality synthetics and change the oil about every 20-30 hours of ride time on my YFZ, depending on how hard I have used it. Does Fram even make filters for quads?

Old 03-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

I don't think Fram specifically makes any for quads, just certain ones are compatible as with other makers.

I think the Honda 450's (quad and bike) say to change at 20 hours too.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

OIL is OIL is OIL if u change it every 20 hrs so long is it's a Good name brand. $35 each oil change for AMSOIL boy someone has money to throw away. (Fram does make oil filters for ATVs check the nearset WalMart)

Old 03-06-2007, 09:20 PM
Range Rover

scooter86,
I didn't notice it was for racing, I guess you would want to change it often for such hard use. I saw filters at Wal-mart for vinson & Eiger they have the same filter. As for oil being oil I know a guy who used tech2000 oil in his car changed it every 5000km used it for 200000+km no problem, $4 oil changes LOL.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:24 AM
Trailblazer

Ok so oil brand is important, what about the filter? Anyone know if those stainless steel reusable ones are any good?

Quick Reply: Your professional opinion