Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT 250 R oil level......

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 04:20 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT 250 R oil level......

so i just got my quadracer and tried checking the oil.. turns out i can't see any from the cap.. from what i hear you just have to drain and fill to specs.. if this is true has anyone tried using like a zip tie of something for a dip stick and just marking it at the correct level after draining and refilling to specs.. there's just got to be a better way.. i have a slight leak and really would rather be able to check my oil frequently than have to worry about it until i drain it again.. any input????? thanks

Old 03-06-2007, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

First thing I would do is fix the leak. But rather than trust if a zip tie went all the way in and into the correct spot, you should just keep draining and refilling to the spec requirement. At least until you fix that leak. Better to change oil more often than rebuid you engine. Just my .02

Old 03-07-2007, 03:35 AM
Trailblazer

yeah you're probably right, it's just a fresh rebuild so i'm a little bugged it's even leaking but i think it's actually just my drain plug and i may need to re torque the bolts.. i'll just change it every time i go out and that'll tell me how fast it's really leaking anyway.. thanks for you .02

Old 03-19-2007, 02:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi
I was just reading some of the oil questions and I know this won't help but this is just crazy. I also have a LT250 and I just changed my oil and added the required- 900ml (1.9 us pt.) then ran the engine for 15 minutes and checked the oil. According to the manual a small amount of oil should run out. I added another 2 pints (950ml) and still couldn't see the oil!
Guess I'll go by the specs and hope the engine doesn't blow???

Old 03-19-2007, 02:39 PM
Trailblazer

well i was told to do that and when i did nothing came out so i talked to the guy again and he said to leave it running when you do that and just turn the cap slowly until some seeps out and you're good!! i dunno, i'd feel much more comfortable with a dip stick or a window but oh well i guess.. i still love my bike ha ha

Old 03-19-2007, 03:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

That would make better sense -just a small vital part of information not mentioned in the manual [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I'll give that a try.
Thanks

Old 03-19-2007, 09:04 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: elsleepster
Hi
I was just reading some of the oil questions and I know this won't help but this is just crazy. I also have a LT250 and I just changed my oil and added the required- 900ml (1.9 us pt.) then ran the engine for 15 minutes and checked the oil. According to the manual a small amount of oil should run out. I added another 2 pints (950ml) and still couldn't see the oil!
Guess I'll go by the specs and hope the engine doesn't blow???
which year do you have? only the 85-86 and the lt500r have the oil site screw. the 87-92 you need to measure the oil. where were you looking for the oil after you added the 2 extra pints?

Old 03-19-2007, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hopefully not the power valve window(that where your going sbl)lol

Old 03-19-2007, 09:37 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: 1987LT250
hopefully not the power valve window(that where your going sbl)lol
thats right. its the only site window that he could be talking about. and i've heard it done before. my buddy did it! which was pretty funny

Old 03-20-2007, 02:43 AM
Trailblazer

i was told to let the engine warm up and take the oil fill cap off slowly and oil should start seeping out and it did, but originally i thought he meant warm it up then shut it off but he then told me to actually leave it running. it won't give you an accurate oil level but atleast lets you know that there's enough that it's safely circulating. just what i was told and if the manual states something similar i'm guessing it's right. any more input on the matter would still be appreciated though because i'm only going by advise i've received, i'm not too familiar with the bike yet. thanks for the comments so far!!