Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Glowing Header

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 11:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glowing Header

I have a 06 ltr 450 and i just put my hmf full exhaust on with the cherry bomb and air box lid removed...well just tonight when i was riding it the exhaust was glowing red. It did it when i took my spark arrestor out on the stock exhaust...ive only had the quad for about a month....is this bad or normal because i know it isnt good for it...so pllzzzz help me on this!!!

Old 03-17-2007, 02:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Glowing Header

not sure about the glowing, but i want to ask you did the mods make a a good difference? and why did you decide to go with hmf over yoshimuro?

Old 03-17-2007, 08:53 AM
Trailblazer
Default Glowing Header

well i went with hmf because alot of people around here have them and they are amazing....I got the HMF Ironman series and its rediculous...it has to much power....but it is loud and i could careless because i will eventually get a quiet core insert for it. the main reason i didnt go with yoshi is because a friend of mine has a ltr 450 and it sounds like crap...and i just flat out didnt like the feel of it compared to mine with the hmf on it.....hmm but i mean thats just my personal opinion

Old 03-17-2007, 09:06 AM
Pro Rider
Default Glowing Header

Well it sure sounds like a lean condition, did you notice it while sitting idleing or when moving?? The fuel injection is supposed to have "perfect" mixtures at all times, but with thin walled pipes, like atv head pipes the heat can really radiate. If it did it at an idle I wouldn't worry, at speed maybe. If it did it at speed, run it, get it hot, & do a full throttle plug check.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:31 AM
Trailblazer
Default Glowing Header

ok ill try that....but i just called to suzuki dealers in my location and they said its perfectly normal....they will do that because of the material they are made of...i dont feel so good about it but if its normal then im not gonna worry about it!!!

Old 03-21-2007, 01:33 PM
Range Rover
Default Glowing Header

This is a totally normal thing to happen. All of my friends quads that have pipes do this..Don't worry about it, just ride!

Old 03-21-2007, 05:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Glowing Header

Thanks to california air resource board(c.a.r.b.) restrictions, every offroad vehicle, quad or dirtbike or whatever, has to pass an emissions test to ensure a minimal amount of pollutants are being emitted to the atmosphere. The manufacturers are making the fuel curves on the lean side, esp. on the idle circuit. This is why the pipe is glowing at idle. No disrespect to the left-coast folks, because I like to breathe clean air as well. No damage will occur from this red-hot pipe. It is the way the manufacturers designed it. It was more a priority to pass emissions than too squeeze out max power. I noticed it on mine when I first bought my 450r. I've made some mods to it since then and fattened up the mixture accordingly and guess what-no more glow.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Glowing Header

yeah, i started mine up yesterday and brought the idle up(some call it the choke except its ELECTRONIC FUEL INJECTED) to let it warm up and after about 2 min of settin there i looked over and seen that my stock one was glowing, so if this happens stock then i wouldn't worry bout an aftermarket one doing it. so dont trip dog! hope this helps