Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Eiger issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 07:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eiger issues

I just got done draining dirty, brown fuel from my airbox. I think I know why this happened, but now my question is how can I prevent this from happening whenever I let it sit for a while? I hear the petcocks are poorly designed on Eigers and I can see why since there is no actual OFF reading on it. I'm now replacing the air filter and then will be changing oil and oil filter incase any fuel got in the crankcase from the airbox. I hope to not find fuel in places it shouldn't be from now on so I decided to post a question about it and hopefully you guys can help me out.
Thanks

Old 03-18-2007, 09:11 PM
Trailblazer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Eiger issues

Did you stand it up on its end? Thats what happend to me when i stood it up on its end to work on it. I read that if you put it on reserve that no gas will flow unless you turn the key.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default Eiger issues

do you plow snow with it? or run through raging rivers with it?

hoyt

Old 03-19-2007, 09:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Eiger issues

No I havent done either of those things. I finally seem to have fixed everything and I will just be changing the oil and filter tomorrow hopefully. It seems to be running fine but i haven't got to really take it out and drive it yet. Assuming that all the problems are fixed, how can I keep it from flooding again when it has to sit for a while? I'm going to start actually using it more often for starters. But isn't there like some problem with the petcock or something? There isn't an OFF position and I also heard the RES could work but then I also remember hearing it doesn't work that well.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Eiger issues

Same problem here. The petcock is vacuum opperated and 'supposed' to be closed when the engine is off. If there's any dirt in the back part of the petcock the little spring and/or the rubber seal might be stuck open just a little bit. This can lead to a flooded carb and air box.

If you drain the tank completly unscrew the petcock and check/clean it. Two screws to take it off, four to take it apart. Unfortunately I was unable to find any replacement parts. Since the little diaphragm (sp?) was torn I had to replace the whole thing. But it's all good now!

If the petcock is in the 'On' position with the engine off there should be no fuel going to the carb at all. If the engine runs vacuum opens it. If you switch to 'Reserve' you will get about half a gallon more after running out of gas on the 'On' position. Now the 'Prim' (prime) position opens the it completly to prime the carb after you drained it. Don't use this for daily driving!

I hope this helps....

Frankegd