Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Oil changing an '06 Eiger

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 11:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil changing an '06 Eiger

Originally posted by: deputyjh
You said have a dealer check for valve clearence. I know for the first service it needs to be checked, but does it have to be done again and if so how often?
If this would be your first service on a NEW bike(i wasn't sure if yours was new or used) then the valves should be checked. I was told my a mechanic that the valves should be checked every 800-1000kms or so, but I haven't checked mine since the first service was done.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:58 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Iowaboy
Yup, I just got home and found all the important parts. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I didn't get all the way down there to check the oilpan plug, but I found where it is.....what size socket is it on the Eiger?

I think I'll be overly cautious and give it its first change at 100 miles. That's probably unnecessary, but it's only $20 or so. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
you can't be too cautious with the first oil change. remember, the motor parts are contacting each for the first time in a hopefully long life. You will get components that have to wear and mold themselves together for lack of a better term. Any metal "shavings" could do harm if left in there longer than the break in period. oil changes are a very small insurance to pay for engine longevity.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:35 AM
Trailblazer

I have some questions how do you get those screw looking things out do you just pull them to get the inside wheel well off? Another question how much does the first service usually coast? Have many guys had to get their valves adjusted. My bike only has 33 miles on it I got at chirstmas and we just use it for Hunting. It wll sit until September is it to early to get the 1st service done. My dearler is like a vaccum they like to suck money out of you when you walk through the door so I wanted some of your opinions...

Old 04-10-2007, 02:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: liv2hunt4x4
I have some questions how do you get those screw looking things out do you just pull them to get the inside wheel well off? .

If it's the plastic ones without a Phillips or Flathead designation on them, you ust get a flathead screwdriver, wedge it i the most "open" part of the area and slowly "pop" out the screw. As far as your Q on how much an initial service costs, I have no idea, since my Eiger has even fewer miles than yours does, but I would plan on $60 at least for oil and filter change and valve inspection. I think I'll let the valve inspection go until my 2nd oil change.

Still wondering what size socket fits the oilpan drain plug on an '06 Eiger. I want to be prepared. THANKS! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-10-2007, 08:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Come on dudes and dudettes, what size socket fits the oilpan drain plug on an '06 Eiger? It's raining outside and I'm too much of a friggin' Barbie to go out and find the answer for myself. It would ruin my new hair-doo! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-10-2007, 09:35 PM
Trailblazer

Me thinks its a 19mm..Barbie,,don't chip a nail

Old 04-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry Barbie, 19mm is bad info, I just remembered, 13/16 is what fits perfect,,maybe a 22mm. FYI I dont remove the inner fender, Just the left side engine cover. JJ

Old 04-11-2007, 12:08 AM
Trailblazer

I remove the inner fender 1; so I don't scratch the hell out of my arms 2; so I can have more room to catch oil flowing out of the filter and to grip the filter 3; there are less grommets to remove on the inner fender than the side panel.

First service as per Suzuki specs is to change oil, check all nut and bolts, lubricate everything including brake levers, and check/adjust valve clearance. I can tell you the service costs approx $130CAN.

I believe the drain plug is 22mm, no STD sizes 'cause it's a metric bike. And 1 more thing, I can't recall when the manual says to do it, but it's a good idea to change both front and rear differential after a hundred miles or so. Some may say that's a little unnecessary to do it that early, but the same thing happens to a new diff as a new motor. Parts mesh and there are particals of metal left floating in the lubricant. Besides, do it yourself and it should only cost $5 or so. Consider that down the road a poorly maintained diff could cost you many hundreds of dollars.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:18 AM
Trailblazer

No Doubt, suzuki's are all metric. Most standard metric sets do not come with a 22mm,19mm is the largest in a standard set. 13/16 and 22mm are the same, However you do it ,,Good job ,,Keep you machine maintained and it will pay off in spades! JJ

Old 04-11-2007, 12:11 PM
Trailblazer

You are exactly right about the sockets and the fact that a maintained machine pays off in the end. No matter how much maintenance you perform on your machine, it's better than nothing. For people who are not mechanically inclined, even just cleaning debris away from your CV boots, cleaning twigs away from the cooler or just lubricating some moving parts will prevent you from having to do repairs in the future. Man, I know people who don't do a thing with their toys and it shows. One more bit of advise I would like to tell you new(and old) Eiger owners, and this is in the owners manual you got with the bike, once a year check aruond the frame of your bike and the welds on your racks. The manual says to identify any places where paint may have flaked off from the frame flexing, and clean them a little with a wire brush. Then touch up with a little black rust paint, just on the rusted areas. This saves rust from creeping away from the initial area and making your frame look like crap, not to mention it stops the rust from weakening out the joints. I have been doing that since I bought my bike in February 2003, the first time in the spring of 2003 , and my frame looks like new.Just take a close look at yours, you'd be suprised how much rust can appear.
One more thing, I notice you guys are mostly in the US, but in Canada we have "Canadian Tire" stores and in the socket sets they sell they contain 22mm sockets. But the 13/16 does the job as well.

Quick Reply: Oil changing an '06 Eiger