Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Eiger keeps blowing ignition fuse

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 01:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eiger keeps blowing ignition fuse

I have been planning this trip to Idaho with my dad and my uncle for almost six months. Did everything I could think of to get ready. Nothing major, just changed some fluids and serviced the air filter. Got to Idaho and rode for 25 miles. I came to a tree that had fallen across the road so I was slowing down for it. 5 feet before I got to the downed tree, my Eiger died. It was like I hit the kill switch or shut the key off. The reverse, neutral, and brakes lights didn't work either. I opened the fuse box and found a blown ignition fuse. There were 2 spares on board. I checked things over to make sure that nothing too obvious was out of place. I couldn't find anything wrong. Put a new fuse in and it started right up. I sat on it, and it died again. Blew the fuse again. So, this time I investigated a lot more. I disconnected the rear brake/tail light thinking that it might be the problem. Put the last spare in. Started it up. Hit the rear brake. Shifted from neutral to High range. Hit the gas. Went 10 feet. DEAD AGAIN. My dad pulled me back to camp and I tried to do some more investigating. I took the insturment panel apart and checked the ignition switch. I also pulled all the bulbs for the oil temp, reverse, and neutral lights. I also disconnected all the brake light switches. Put in one last spare fuse that I had at camp. It ran, and ran the rest of the time. I got home today, was trying to figure out what might be wrong and blew the fuse again. I am really at a loss of what to do. If anybody has some advise, that would be great.

My Eiger is a 2005 auto with about 2000 miles on it. It has run like a champ since I bought it brand new.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:20 AM
Range Rover

Sounds like a hot wire shorting to ground. Those kind of problems are a pain to find. All I can suggest is trace all the wires out til you find the one that is bad. Look for rub spots on the harnesses. You can disconnect your battery and use a ohmmeter while shaking wires in different places, you might get lucky and narrow your search.

Old 06-17-2007, 04:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

I figured out what the problem was. The rear brake light switch down on the foot pedal was bad. It would short out when you pushed the pedal down. I removed the switch and all works well now.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:07 PM
Trailblazer

Oh wow good find. I was going to see if you had a winch. The red wire from the rely to my battery was hitting my exhaust. The zip tie broke and my wire melted to the exhaust I couldn't see it. I was blowing fuses and dying.. . Glad you found the problem.. Idaho sounds like a blast..