Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

lt250r questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 11:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt250r questions

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Hi all!! This is my first post and I am new here.I just got a 1985 Suzuki Lt250r quadracer.I have a few questions though.The thumb throttle is plastic and not the original,it works fine,but I want to polish it.Will a z400 aluminum one work or some other on this bike?I polish for a living and would like to hook it up;thumb throttle,front and rear brake master cylinders,swingarm,front and rear calipers,both engine covers....etc.Also,I noticed it does real good through all of the gears as far as taching up,but in 1st gear,between mid range and red line,it has a sputter before going to 2nd gear.Like I said though,the rest of the gears do fine.No hesitation at all.Any suggestions on that?It has a fresh top end and runs pretty strong overall.I have only had it a few days.yesterday was the first time I really got to rip it up and I fouled 2 plugs in a couple of hours.The guy I bought it from had a cheap Champion plug in it so I put a NGK in and it seems to have stopped so far,but I guess I will see.Lastly,the rear brakes dont work at all.I havent had time to mess with it,but am thinking it needs to be bled and go from there.There was NO fluid in it when I got it,so maybe it is something simple,like putting it in and bleeding it to see if that works.If that doesnt work and its not leaking....should I rebuild the caliper,or just get another one?one more question....what is the bolt pattern for the rear wheels?I want to get some T-9's,but need to be positive on the bolt pattern before I buy them.Any info would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!!!

Old 06-25-2007, 12:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default lt250r questions

thanks for the help guys!!!!!!

Old 06-25-2007, 08:49 AM
Pro Rider
Default lt250r questions

It sounds to me like your running a little rich on the main, try going in a half turn to a turn on your airscrew first. then if that doesnt work get the next 2 jets down and try that, you'll get it dialed in. Just buy a throttle of Ebay if your polishing it. Should get it cheap

Old 07-09-2007, 07:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default lt250r questions

Thanks for the help! It stopped getting fire and I traced it down to a bad exposed wire arcing on the frame.Got that buttoned up and it just keeps fouling plugs like it always has since I got it a few weeks ago! I have rode it maybe an hour total and am on my 5th plug now.Those NGKR's get expensive! New top end,with great compression.It is a pain in the butt to start and when I get it running,it fouls a plug within minutes! I have adjusted the air/fuel mixture screw to stock and also to what the great person who responded to my post said as well.THANKS AGAIN!!! I am thinking it needs a carb rebuild.I would really like to get this thing going.I feel like I paid for nothing.I havent been able to ride it at all hardly and I am getting frustrated.I am about to sell it for a loss.It is the cleanest all original 85 I have ever seen! Please help me ! Any input is greatly appreciated!!

Old 07-10-2007, 08:44 AM
Pro Rider
Default lt250r questions

It really sounds like you have too big of a main jet. Let me know what kind of carb it has and what jets are in it now. Let me know of any mods it has, pipe,no air box lid,fuel to oil ratio, that kind of stuff. Im not familiar with the particulars of a zuki Im a honda guy, but if you let me know all your info Im sure I can point you in the right direction.

You see it depends on alot of things on your jetting. The previous owner may have run it with a different oil, or they mixed there gas with more oil than you are. Oil to gas ratio is a totally different thing than air to fuel, if you run less oil you may be running at a leaner oil to gas but in doing that you have made your air to fuel ratio richer. So it depends on many factors

Old 07-10-2007, 08:54 PM
Range Rover
Default lt250r questions

rear pattern is 4/130 stock offset is 3+5

Old 07-10-2007, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default lt250r questions

It could also be your reeds. Have you replaced them. They will make it hard to start and make it run like shat if they are bad

Old 07-16-2007, 12:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default lt250r questions

no,I havent checked the reeds.Could be a problem since it is unchecked.I use the Honda synthetic blend 2 stroke mix in the 16oz bottle.I mix that with 4.2 gallons of gas.Actually,come to think of it.....it started really fouling plugs once I put the new mix in and ran the old gas out.Stock fatty with pro curcuit silencer.Mukuni carb(stock I think),uni air filter and that is about it for extras.Thanks so much for the help guys!!!

Old 07-16-2007, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default lt250r questions

Check your reeds. If they are ok then start bringing your main jet size down. Id skip about 2 sizes down and start there. Dont change that oil. Honda HP2 is probably one of the best, cleanest burning oils out there

Old 07-18-2007, 03:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default lt250r questions

I have to agree with fulltilt, It sounds rich. Pick a fuel to oil ratio I run 32:1, which means 32 parts fuel to 1 part of oil. Hinch about 5 gallons fuel to 3/4 of a quart of oil. Get a ratio Rite cup and mix you fuel to a known ratio.

Put in a new plug and run it hard until it get good and warmed up, then shut it off take the plug out and look at it down inside the plug body on the white insulator it should be a toasty brown color if it's black it's rich if it white it's lean.

This is a link to my son's website. There is a ton of 2-stroke tuning information at this link. Copy the info, read it, send it to friends, I do not care what you do with it.

http://members.***.net/bostonb...rformance%20links.html

If you will send me you email address I will send you a electronic version of a factory service manual. It may not be the same year as yours but it will help some.

Quick Reply: lt250r questions