Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Eiger Idles Rough

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eiger Idles Rough

My Eiger will not keep running at idle. It is not because of the idle adjustment, it wants to idle rough then finally dies. Spark plug gets black. Seems to start right back up. When you are going down the road at a fairly good speed it does seem like the throttle wants to surge a little. Won't keep a steady rpm. I suppose these problems are connected. Any suggestions?

Old 08-03-2007, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like your pilot jet is not adjusted correctly or your choke is not adjusted correctly either, and also you may have a dirty air filter.

First step is to clean your air filter., next is to get the carb clean with a spray and or some carb cleaner in your gas. You may have to take the carb off and give it a good cleaning. The next step is to make sure your choke is function properly and not sticking.

Your pilot jet is the air/fuel mixture for idle to about 1/4 throttle before the main jet starts to take over.

It is located under the carb and is not the screw that adjust idle. To adjust it turn it in to lean the mix and out to make the mix more rich. Adjust for best idle, then adjust the idle speed with your idle screw.

The correct setting is done this way - turn it all the way in then back out 2 turns, this is your reference point. Turn it in until it starts to idle rough - make a note. Then turn it out past the 2 turns until it start to idle rough again - make a second note. Split the difference of your two notes and you should be dead on... I generally will tweak 1/16 turn out (rich) from that point.

Note - make all adjustments slow to allow the engine to adjust from rich to lean conditions and visa versa.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider

If the above doesn't take care of you problem then start to look for an air leak in your intake, between motor and carb. You can get surges from that too but it sound more like a dirty air filter and dirty carb to me.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply earlier.

I bought a Suzuki service manual and decided to start working on my Eiger. I have had the carb off to clean. I think I might have found something in the slow jet, but the darn thing still will not idle right. I sprayed jet spray through the passages then compressed air. I don't know how I could do a better job cleaning it. It does start good, but will not idle smoothly. Runs pretty good traveling at full speed, but when you let off the throttle it wants to surge, like it needs to catch its breath. When it is warmed up it actually runs better with full choke. You can leave the choke on full and it will not kill it.

I sprayed either around the intake while it was running to see if the throttle would pick up, but it did not. So I am assuming I do not have any leaks. The air cleaner was recently cleaned.

Scott

Old 08-09-2007, 04:06 PM
Pro Rider

you need to adjust your pilot jet, located at the bottom of the carb.

if it runs with the choke on then I would look for an air leak in the intake manifold

Old 08-23-2007, 11:40 PM
Range Rover

Scott (swilliamfred) did you find out what the problem was?

Old 08-24-2007, 11:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

No I have not. It seems simple enough that I could figure it out, but I have not. I think I am going to have to take it to the dealer.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:24 PM
Trailblazer

Do you have a inline fuel filter on it. All it takes is one little piece of trash to get into the carb to make it run like sh#t.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:35 AM
Range Rover

Mine does not 'like' to idle either. I have 'played' off and on with it since April. Some times it runs just fine and the next it will keep dieing. I have cleaned my carb 3 times and made adjustment to it. Also checked the valves, compression, and today intake boot (carb to eng). Also after checking boot today I put a full bottle of 'heat' in gas tank that only has 1/2 to 1 gal of gas in it. It run very good today with higher idle because of the 'heat'. Mine was (is?) running lean and have moved my Pilot screw out 4 1/2 turns. It now runs better that way. It will now run very rough when I put the choke on. I'm did also require the choke on to run. I'm going to try to run it with some 'heat' and see it helps and maybe clean out something out that I have not be able to do. I believe there is somethig in the idle passage way of my carb but not be able to get it.

Ok to you. It seems like you are running lean even though your spark plug is black. Is it a new plug? I say lean because of it running better with choke on. Have you put in a new spark plug? If not, Try a new plug and no choke and see if it turns black or if it is white. How many turns out is your Pilot screw? Try adjusting your pilot screw in and/or out. I would adjust between 1/2 to 5 turns just to see if it does run better. (I know most people say you should not go more then 3 turns but it will not hurt anything if you do and just maybe if something is in the slow jet or starter jet it will pass through. It can not hurt to try.)
Hint: I can make adjustments to the pilot screw with a straight apex bit and small vise gripes wtih the carb on and not even turning it. Yes, it is slow for big adjustments. I only get about 1/6 of a turn each time before turning apex in vise gripes.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

I started with a new plug first hoping this would solve my problem. I know I cleaned something out of the slow jet, but I still have my problem. I really think the screens on the carb and the fuel tank do their jobs, but you can get some trash through the air cleaner.

Thanks for the comments

Quick Reply: Eiger Idles Rough