Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

is DOWN SHIFTIING a must?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is DOWN SHIFTIING a must?

i just bought a Suzuki Ozark 250cc...and rode it a few times and the sales person who sold it to me recommended that i down shift...do i really have to...is it whats best...? please advise.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. Since it's an auto clutch there is no coasting while slowing down with the clutch in (not that that's a good idea for control anyway). Basically if you start to slow down while running in a high gear you could bog down the engine - don't want to be running at 3 MPH while still in fifth gear. On top of that, downshifting through the gears helps slow the bike down - longer brake life and shorter stopping distance. If you downshift all the time then it will become a natural, automatic function with you - could come in handy for an emergency stopping situation when you really need it.

Jaybee

Old 09-02-2007, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

Also, if you're riding in a high gear, then slow down, and then accelerate again without down-shifting, you will be abusing the clutch. It's always best to learn on a bike that has a manual clutch because it's a lot less forgiving than an auto-clutch, but it forces you to learn the right way.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

When i first began riding it, i did downshift but it would drastically slow down and drag my tires on the road...is that how it will always be or simply cuz its new?

By the way, thanks for the advice. This is my first ATV so hopefully i havent already done something to damage it by not listening to my sales person.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider

no u have to hit the breaks.... u dont just go o im gunna slow down and like pound in down a gear and then u will over rev it its only wehen u slow down so if u stop go down to 1 or 2 because if u start in a high gear its bad for the cluch because it heats up to much or something and y would u stay in like 5th gear what if u have to climb something its not like ur a sprint car

Old 09-03-2007, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

You slow down the exact opposite way you speed up,

starting. 1st, rev out 80% shift , 2nd, rev out 80% shift.....and it goes on. Slowing down, cruising at 80% revs in 5th gear. you see a turn in the distance, so you let off the gas, wait until it sounds the same as when you've just upshifted into 5th and THEN you downshift to 4th to keep from overrevving or slowing down too much suddenly (which could throw you over the handlebars)

an easy way to learn when to shift is to play a racing game such as NFS or if you dont have any download a demo of Need For Speed 2 (not hot pursuit 2) it only takes a few minutes with high speed, and maybe an hour with dial up. install it and play the game in automatic mode. You get a good idea of when to shift and when to down shift.

If anyone thinks i am a dangerous rider, im not. I combine common sense and experience with racing games and watching motocross races and riding experience with the result of knowing when, why, and how to shift. It might take you an hour to learn to ride properly (i really hope it doesnt take longer cuz that would be pathetic) I rode an autoclutch dirtbike (xr70) without any problem after riding automatic (CVT) quads my whole life and 30 seconds of the owner explaining how to shift. I first rode a dirtbike with a clutch (crf150) with just the rider explaining how to start off the bike without stalling (and stalling only once before getting the hang of it) I first rode a full-on MX dirtbike (crf250r) without any problems and only having the rider explain to me that you have to rev it decently high to keep it from stalling when starting off. (before riding the 250 i only had about 1-2hours experience on 230 and under bikes [there is a huge diff in power though between 230's and 250s]) Hopefully soon i'll get to ride a ktm 525 bike without any problems

Anyways, enough of my life story and how i got to ride. practice makes perfect. Learn from mistakes. Take a chance every once in a while and you may discover something new and improve your riding as well. Stay safe and have fun

Old 09-03-2007, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider

The key is revmatching.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

once again, thanks for all your advice. i went for a ride w/ a good friend of mine earlier today and he also taught me alot. i will definitely take ur advice and download NFS...even though i am not a big fan of game systems...but im sure this is well worth it. ill keep you posted on my progress.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:39 AM
Pro Rider

aaaa... srcew the video game cant u hear the bike calling ride me ride me[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] ...... thats how u get better...... but what i dont under stand is the hole " how do i down hshift" not to be rude bude but like what is there to not get when the rpms are like 0 to shift down a gear or ifd u have to climb some thing or if ur gooing fast a knogh speed then u can climb ion a higher gear so u may have to up shift.... like i can climp pinning it on my jetmoto.......and its pretty steep to its a big sand hill so u just have to get a feal for it by practiceing then it will just become natraule

Old 09-04-2007, 01:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

not once did i state i did not know how to down shift...all i asked was do i really have to. have a great day.

Quick Reply: is DOWN SHIFTIING a must?