Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

I need help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007 | 02:35 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default I need help!

Hey Guys-
My neighbor just gave me a quadsport 230 kick start , it's in good condition. However, he said it would start, but would not stay running. I'm thinking it's a quick fix of the carb. I have a couple of stupid questions....One, on the right side is what appears to be an ignition, is it? Two, I've go a little money to throw at it. Where should I start and what can I do to make it haul? Any thoughts...

Old 10-11-2007 | 02:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default I need help!

Not sure what you are talking about on the right side. The magneto is on the left side of the engine. The cdi is under the gas tank at the very front. The coil is in front of the cdi.

Bore it out 80 over with a wiseco piston... about $300 or so. Then a bigger carb... $120 or so. KN filter... $40. You could sink $200-$300 in an exhaust, but I think the money is better spent on the bore job. I still run the stock exhaust n mine hauls.

You could go with a big bore kit (260cc) for about $300 I think. Then have to find somebody to resleeve your jug,,, more $$$$$ there. Not all shops that can bore it out can resleeve it. You may have to send it out. There are some guys on here that can tell you more about big bore kits. You would definitley need a bigger carb then, lol.

If you get really gung ho you could deck the piston and port the valves. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-12-2007 | 01:21 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default I need help!

Hey thanks! It's going to take a lot of time...I just emptied all the fluids and am eager to start cleaning all the parts. I plan to get it all cleaned up and then follow your suggestions. Just out of curiosity if I do the big bore, deck the piston, resleeve the jug, get a larger carb and new exhaust what will this bike compare to? Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Paul

Old 10-12-2007 | 11:03 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default I need help!

Some guys were saying it was a 400 killer in the turns, but not the straights. I haven't done the big bore myself yet. Mine is 60 or 80 over (I forgot, lol) and has a 28mm flatslide and is pretty fast. I didn't do any porting or anything else to it. It will bring the front end up in 5th gear.

I don't know how much you know about engines, but the 230 has a very long stroke. Check out the pdf files from wiseco and you'll see not my bikes ever made have a longer stroke. Even the big bikes. That gives this engine a very unique ride to it.

If you have the money you should do the big bore. IT would be a one-of-a-kind quad since it is such a light weight engine. Mine weighs 320lbs or so with a full tank.

Oh, I forgot to mention before that you can choose among 3 stages of cams for it. I don't have any experience there either, but I've read that a lot of guys run a stage 2 cam. I suspect that would lower the compression at the low rpms and raise it in the mid to high range.

If I can ever get my piston to wear out, lol, I'm going to get the 270 big bore kit and do all the things I mentioned before. I'll probably build my own exhaust though. I'm pretty handy with a welder.

Old 10-16-2007 | 06:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default I need help!

I know the thread is huge, but a ton of good info about 230's

http://forums.atvconnection.co...tid/12/threadid/477657