Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Vinson rubbing noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 06:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vinson rubbing noise

I've seen a couple posts about a "rubbing" noise on the Vinson but really haven't seen any solutions. Tt sounds like a tire rubbing slightly on hard plastic or a stick rubbing a tire. It is best heard at slow speeds (5 mph or so) and moreso heard if someone else is riding past you. Mainly the sound comes from the back end. It is an 03 automatic with 270 miles on it. Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider
Reconranger (automatics are for sissies)!

I don't have any advise ,however a friend of mine just bought a new Vinson (less than 50 miles) and has the same noise. All we could do was have the Suzuki shop note it on an invoice for future reference. I'm like you though. I'd like to hear of others with the same problems or solutions.
Buck

Old 11-17-2007, 01:08 AM
Trailblazer

there are SSSOOOO many people that have the same sound............it must be a vinson trademark! i have (2) '07 Vinny's and BOTH of them still make that noise. alot of people worry about it and try numerous solutions and spend XX.XX amount trying to clear it up.........after i bought my vinny i posted a similar question on High Lifter and called the dealer as well.........i checked/changed diff fluids, still has the noise, dealer said it would fade with break in.........it must take about 10years since there are people with 02 and 03 bikes that still have the noise.

personally i changed my diff fluids to synthetic (didn't change anything)...........and hit the trails!!

Old 11-17-2007, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider

Brakes dragging?

Old 11-17-2007, 01:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys - a least that makes me feel a little better that others hear the same noise. Doesn't sound like a "dangerous" noise, just an ODD one. I can't imagine the V Belt making that noise but probably gonna check/change it just to be sure. Shouldn't need it with only 270 miles. I had a good Suz mechanic listen to it and he said nothing was out of the norm. He had a couple viable suggestions. #1, could be in the brakes. (I'll make sure they aren't dragging but sure doesn't seem like a brake noise.) #2 he said it could be a harmonic vibration between the two rear shocks. Hmm, he could be on to something here. I take my finger and rub down the springs fairly fast and get a somewhat similar noise. I imagine with a good bit more vibration, I can almost hear the "rubbing/buzz".

I'll check the V-belt, diff fluid & brakes(rear) - other than that, I'm gonna ride it like I stole it!!!

THANKS again for the quick responses and if anyone else has ANY ideas, please chime in.

On a side note - Everyone with a Warn 2.5ci winch (2002-2004)- the 8 Post contactors are on recall. I'm sure this is old news. I just received a brand new 4 post contactor to replace the defective one. Check the left hand side of the Warn site (www.warn.com) for the recall info.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:51 AM
Trailblazer

i had my rear brake "hang up" at marengo this year. not for long just enough that i could tell it was dragging. it was more of a steady streech and not a "thumping plastic" type sound. but check them any way, you may have debris lodged in the brake component. been down that road too!

Old 11-19-2007, 12:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Team Mudd,
Those are two good looking Vinsons you have. What tire(and size) is on the one on the left(the one with the stock Vinson rims)?

Thanks again for the feedback on the "rubbing noise"!

Old 11-19-2007, 11:28 PM
Trailblazer

thanks Artee! the left one has 26x9 and 26x11 XTR's.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:49 PM
Range Rover

The sound you are hearing is the gears in the rearend. It will go away with more miles on the bikes. My camo 05 does not make the noise anymore, but it did for the first few hundred miles. It now has 2000 on it. Put some more aggressive tires and a loud pipe on it so you cant hear the gears meshing. lol

Old 11-20-2007, 03:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks camozuki!!
I had all but determined that's what it was/is. Glad to hear it is "normal for the Vinson", especially mentioning the mileage you've noted. Strangest sound I've heard on a wheeler though. Great quad and GREAT forum - I REALLY appreciate everyone's insight! Ya'll have a great Thanksgiving!

Thinking of going with 26's on next set of tires - any trouble with rubbing(sure don't need any more rubbing noises-haha)? I do have the auto.

Quick Reply: Vinson rubbing noise