Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

2003 Suzuki Vinson LTF500F Weak Brake Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 07:09 AM
KPC
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Suzuki Vinson LTF500F Weak Brake Problem

Just picked up a 2003 Vinson 500 the other day with about 2,500 miles on it and overall it is in relatively good shape.

However the front brakes are complete mush, and downright terrible to say the least. The rear brake is just "ok", far from "good or great".

When I talked to the dealer about this, he said that the Vinsons are known for having a weak brake system and that all of the Vinsons he has dealt with stop the same way (mushy / weak)

I figured that it was just air in the lines and the rest of the quad was in good shape and the price was right, so I went ahead and purchased it.

When I got it back to my shop, I tore into everything related to the brake system and everything checks out seeming just fine. There was no air in the brakes. I pulled apart the calipers and removed the pistons to verify no scoring and to make sure they are not binding. The pistons move freely, the master cylinder is working good, the quad came with new pads all the way around, and these are good shape, not glazed. Slider pins were properly lubed with the correct grease, new brake fluid was installed.

Just to verify that the rotors weren't glazed causing the problem, I even removed the front hubs and took coarse sandpaper to the discs to roughen them up, and put it all back together and that didn't make any difference.

The calipers are getting fluid, as when I bleed the brakes, if I squeeze the lever and have someone crack open the bleeder, the oil blasts out.

I have spent the better part of a day working on this brake system, making sure everything is working properly.

Just now, I have spent the better part of an hour or two searching the net and have read numerous complaints about squeaky brakes on the Vinsons, but nothing specifically related to "weak" brakes.

About the only thing left that I can think of is that the rubber flex lines might possibly be worn out and bulging when the brakes are applied, thus limiting the amount of actual pressure being applied to the caliper.

The actual brake lever on the Vinson 500 feels rather spongy compared to the brakes that are on my other quads. I was thinking of possibly upgrading to stainless brake lines hoping that would help the situation, but I can't find anyone that actually makes a kit for the Vinson 500's.

If nobody makes an actual kit, does anyone here know where is the cheapest place to buy stainless lines by length (36 inches, 40 inches, etc..)

Furthermore, I was looking around for a set of upgraded rotors, but can't find anyone who makes these either? The Vinsons have solid rotors, does anyone know if another quad that has drilled rotors, will bolt on to the vinson?

It seems like there are plenty of aftermarket rotors for other brands of quads (primarily sport quads), surely one of these other quads uses the same fitment for the rotor as what is on the Vinson?

I don't want to be dumping hundreds of dollars into the brake system on this quad just to make it "safe" to ride. Right now, it isn't even safe.

If you know of anything that I might be overseeing, or if you know where I can find the Stainless brake lines (either a Vinson specific kit) or just the cheapest place that sells Stainless lines by length, or upgraded brake rotors, pads, etc.. please post a reply.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:16 AM
KPC
Weekend Warrior

bump to top

Old 12-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Pro Rider
Can't wait to feel that 130 HP at the dunes.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My front brakes work great. The reviews for the Vinson always praise the brakes. If you don't have air in the system your master is most likely letting fluid by the seals.There are stainless brake lines for sale on eBay.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:51 AM
Pro Rider

my front brakes are pretty good too. no complaints. the rubber line is possible, but it sounds like it could be the master too. generally when you can't find an aftermarket part it's because there generally isn't a problem with the OEM stuff (or there's too little of a demand because of limited production which shouldn't be an issue with the Vinson).

Old 12-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 2004 Vinson and haven't noticed any problems. Mostly used to push a 60" Moose blade, driveway's a half a mile long. They're not the best brakes in the world, but I 've ridden others that were worse. And "no", it won't do a stoppie like my dirt bike! Its a tool, not a toy! Steers so hard with the blade on, it makes my shoulders sore. FWIW........