Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

07 Kingquad Ignition Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 11:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Kingquad Ignition Problems?

Has anyone else had problems with the 07 Kingquad 700 starting in the winter? I have put two new batteries in it, and they just drain each time. The shop said it was because it is too cold, but I dont know.....is this a common problem?

Old 01-18-2008, 01:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have a 05 kq 700. it has only 600 miles on it mostly from plowing snow. i am on my third battery in 3 winters. i assume it is from alot of electrical use with the winch lights etc. then parking it in my garage (un heated) without giving the battery a chance to charge. neglect on my part. the best thing to do in cold weather is to let it run 15 to 20 min on days its not used. efi is nice but you cant pull start w/ out battery due to electric fuel pump.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

I also have a 07' KQ 700 and was having some problems with the battery wanting to go dead, so I took it back to the dealer only to discover there is a factory recall on the ignition switch itself which is causing the drain on the batteries and the trouble with the atv starting... I would take it back and make them replace the whole switch! It may take about a week b/c they where on backorder about 2 weeks ago, but now mines running great.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider
Reconranger (automatics are for sissies)!

The ignition wasn't causing a drain on the battery. Moisture was getting inside the ignition causing electrical problems including misfire. There was an ECU recall for the King Quad that was draining the battery. A new module should be installed due to the recall.
Buck

Old 01-18-2008, 04:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Your correct about the moisture in the ignintion switch, I'm not exactly sure about the ECU. I was just basing my input on what the dealer had said about replacing the ignition switch correcting most of the problems with the electrical system on mine which included the battery losing power after multiple starts.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

I appreciate the input. The dealer did replace the ignition switch but told us nothing was wrong, that it was just the battery. Guess Im going to have to give them another call.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:25 AM
Trailblazer

there has been a recall on the ignition switches on the KQ 700 & 450's, takes about a half hour to replace.

The battery problems could very well be they were "quick charged" by the dealer. The Yuasa battery's should be trickle charged at NO MORE than 1.8 amps. Anything more will damage the gel-cel battery. Some may last a week, a month, 6 months..............who knows, but sooner or later it will go bad.

I just bought a battery tender jr. for mine ($29.95), you can attach an adapter directly to the terminal post, and then plug it in after each ride OR for a few days monthly during storage. It will keep the battery fully charged without damaging the battery itself.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

after first replying to this i have seince been to the dealer. aside from recalls batt. is going to be a problem on the kq 700. it is a very hard cranking engine, and with people like me who use winch alot, spot light etc. and dont let the machine recharge the battery they simply wont last. while at the dealer i picked up ( for 30 dollars ) a battery tender. great idea. any one with a kq who does more work than play may find it a good buy.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:30 PM
Trailblazer

I think you'll discover that the Battery Tender's are a great help to keeping a battery at full charge. I've been using one on my '04 Texas Chopper since new, and couldn't be more happy with the battery's performance. With a 124ci (2033cc) motor I need ALL the cranking amps I can get.

During the winter months I leave it on the bike pretty much all the time, and haven't had any issues as of yet from the so called "overcharging". I have a quick disconnect on the bike also and plug it in after every ride.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

if anyone is having constance battery draining issues its most likely the ignition switch. I have had the recall done and the replaced switch is currently bad. if you take a volt meter remove your seat and check the fuel fuse (should be number 3 fuse)..if you have 12volts on that fuse (red wire side) other is red/black with the ignition switch off odds are the switch is bad. My quad is a year old since the recall and has been a problem draining the battery from day one. I am currently dealing with the dealer calling suzuki to replace the switch again. battery is not cheap for this quad and recommend checking that fuse and call suzuki to complain and have it replaced.

Quick Reply: 07 Kingquad Ignition Problems?