Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

93 King Quad warms up and loses spark

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 05:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 King Quad warms up and loses spark

Hello, I have the exact same problem as you describe. Our King Quad is used for spraying pesticide on the farm and we havent changed anything on it since last year. All of a sudden we need it this year and it starts giving us fits. I have it in the shop waiting to be fixed but I really dont want to purchase a stator unless I know its the problem. SO hopefully you can enlighten me/us to what the heck is going on!! haha ..thanks

Old 06-16-2008, 11:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm happy to say that I have my King Quad running properly again. The problem with the spark dissapearing has been resolved. I was on the right track, it was not fuel nor compression related, it was the ignition system, but it was the only component which I didn't even know breaks, the spark plug boot.

After replacing the $7 part, it runs like a champ, doesn't skip a beat and keeps on going and going, the way it was meant to. It's just too bad no one suggested the idea before, but I got a feeling I wouldn't be the first to get caught by something like this.

xp

Old 06-16-2008, 11:10 PM
Range Rover

So the spark plug boot? was the issue?? did you change the whole wire or just the boot??

Old 06-17-2008, 09:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

The wire came with the new ignition coil, so it was replaced as well, just not at the same time as the boot, but I think just the boot would do it.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:11 AM
Trailblazer

So it took more than 1 year to recover this cause, which finally was this shitty small thing. WOW !! :-D But congratulation!! This is good news.
I am going to change my Ignition Coil too, as I suspect that it causes lack of power at high speed range...

Old 06-30-2008, 08:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear you got it fixed i should've told you to check the coil wire , a friend had this problem with his 93' Polaris Sportsman 500 after sinking it in his cattle pond a few years back ; here's something you should do use some Di-Electric Grease in the sparkplug boot to keep from shorting out again !

Sorry i didn't mention this in my first reply to check the plug wire and boot , it had been so long ago i just forgot about it ; again glad to hear you found the problem !......

Old 06-30-2008, 06:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Williebee, you won't believe this, but I did have di-electric grease on it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-01-2008, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

Oh i believe it alright the di-electric grease only insolate's the spark plug and coil wire from shorting out when you hit a deep puddle when crossing a creek or mud puddle , on my friends Polaris the ignition coil was good ; it was the coil wire going from the coil to the spark plug that was bad !

Like you he had replaced all the electrical componate's but the coil and still had the same problem , it was only after he got me to check it out for him that i checked the coil and it showed no resistance ; using the test probe the coil itself showed good !

So all that was wrong in his case was the coil wire itself , the new wire and boot cost $4.99 + tax ; needless to say he couldn't get a refund for all the electrical parts he replaced in the process of finding the bad part !....

Old 07-01-2008, 12:55 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Hey Williebee. Are you still up? I need some help.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider

Sent you a pm Randy !

Quick Reply: 93 King Quad warms up and loses spark