Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

compression issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 09:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default compression issue

I just got my dads old suzuki that has about 1200 miles (very hard ridden 1200 miles ) and it has a major lack of power I think I am going to have to rebuild the top end. What I am needing to know is what is the compression suppose to be on this bike. I am wanting to check this before I have the top end rebuilt. There is a possibility that it is the carb although we just put a rebuild kit in it, it still isnt running correctly

Old 03-26-2008, 10:09 AM
Trailblazer

If the compression is lower than 90psi an engine won't run at idle speed. For good running performance i would say is should be anywhere from 125 psi to 150 psi. If you dont see smoke coming out of the tail pipe you shouldn't have blow-by at the piston and rings. if you have a lack of compression and no smoke it is probably a burnt valve. (a burnt valve should cause a popping sound)
what kind of Suzuki is it?

Old 03-26-2008, 05:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

It is a King Quad 300. I got it started yesterday, first time in about 6 months and for a good solid minute it blew all kinds of smoke out of it. I was able to get it to ideal after playing with it for a bit. It took it down the road for about a mile then it started acting like the choke was on.

Also when I pulled the pull rope it is covered in oil. Is that just a seal that is bad or do I have other issues?

Old 03-26-2008, 05:37 PM
Trailblazer

the oily pull cord sound like a bad seal to me. as far as it running like the choke is on, i would seriously consider pulling the carb off the bike and giving it a good clean with brake parts cleaner. you can use carburetor cleaner but i don't because it leaves a little residue, the brake cleaner dries up quickly. good luck man.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:39 PM
Trailblazer

let me know if you have anymore issues.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

I messed with it a little bit yesterday and i went ot check the compression and my gauge dosnt go small enough so i am going to have to make a bushing.

I am starting to lean to the idea that I have a bad valve because I only smokes when you first start it after that it quits. What is concerning me is the fact that when we first got the bike you had to use the compression release lever to pull start it or you would take your arm off. No you can pull on the rope all day long and it is like starting a lawnmower. I have been thinking that maybe the compression release is stuck.

I figure no matter what the problem is it all leads to pulling the head to inspect the problem......

Thanks for the advice

Old 03-27-2008, 01:26 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Check the valve clearance before you rip it apart. Those motors are known for the intake valve tightening up, which leads to a big drop in compression.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well exactly how would I go about doing that. I have never had to mess with valves. I am just a shade tree mechanic with a strong background in electrical. I have never had to actually tear into one of these things.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:17 PM
Trailblazer

the valve cover is on the head remove the valve cover and put a feeler gauge between the valve stem and the rocker arm.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would like to know if anyone knows what the proper gap is and if mine is off what do I need to do adjust it.

Thanks for all the help

Quick Reply: compression issue