Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

compression issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default compression issue

j9m9t I had to Edit this reply because i found some new info to share with you , the valve clearance should still be checked when the engine is cold , to get to the access cap's you must remove the seat , the rear rack , the rear fender plastic's , spark plug , and valve adjustment cap like plate's some have cap's that screw out like the one's on the 89" Suzuki LT4WD 250 Quad Runner did , but the one's on the 1993 Suzuki LT4WD 300 KQ have cap like plate's that use bolt's to hold these plate's to the head !

Then remove the manual / pull starter and the timing inspection plug that is screwed into the crancase same side as the pull starter housing , and there's a mark on the crankcase next to the inspection plug hole ; when you remove the plug you can see the flywheel !

There's a " T " mark on the flywheel , when the manual pull starter is removed you can turn the flywheel with your hand or a socket that fit's the nut or bolt that hold's the flywheel to the crankshaft ; turn the flywheel clockwise untill the " T " mark line's up with the mark on the crankcase !

You must be on the compression stroke when you line up these timing mark's , to find the compression stroke put your finger in the spark plug hole then turn the flywheel clockwise untill you feel air pressure again't your finger ; as soon as you feel the pressure stop !

Then slowly turn the flywheel untill the " T " mark on the flywheel line's up with the mark on the crankcase ; then use a Filler Gauge you can get the Feeler Gauge at an auto parts store for around $5.00 price depend's on where you get it !

But get one that has the size Feeler blade's that has the following size blade's : Intake valve's are 0.03 - to - 0.08 mm or ( 0.001 - to - 0.003 inch ) on both intake valve's , And the Exhaust valve's arei 0.08 - to - 0.13 mm are ( 0.005 inch ) for both Exhaust valve's !

When you line up the timing mark's you should be able to wiggle the rocker arm's a little bit , if they're tight you might've gone past the compression stroke ; so turn it again untill you feel the air pressure pushing again't your finger and stop !

And then slowly turn the flywheel clockwise untill the " T " mark on the flywheel line's up with the stationary mark on the crankcase again !

To adjust the valve's after you get the timing mark's lined up try to slide the correct Feeler blade between the rocker arm and the valve stem , you should feel a slight drag between the gap if it's to tight or to losse using a boxed end wrench lossen the lock nut and turn the screw in or out with a screw driver to adjust the valve gap ; when you get it set tighten the lock nut while holding the screw with the screw driver !

After you set the valve gap and tighten the lock nut check the gap again to make sure the screw didn't move when you tightened the lock nut , one other thing the exhaust valve's are in front next to the exhaust header pipe ; and the intake valve's are to the rear of the head next to the intake tube that connect's to the carb !

On my old 86" Honda TRX350 Foreman 4x4 it had four valve's , 2 intake and 2 exhaust valve's ; my brother's 2004 Honda TRX350FM Rancher 4x4 has 4 also ; and his old 96' Yamaha 350 Wolverine 4x4 has 4 valves also !

I did the valve adjustment on his 350 Wolverine 4x4 , and the Honda Dealership were suppose to go over every nut and bolt they can get to when they do the first free serving of a new quad ; a valve adjustment and a complete change of all the oil's and filter's and differentcial's as well !

But i marked the valve cover's of Dan's Honda Rancher 4x4 with a paint marker , to see if they did adjust his valve's ; and when he got it back they weren't touched when he got it back from the Dealer !

So i will have to adjust them for him if he ever goes riding with me anymore , since he bought a new 2007 Honda V1300 street bike in the spring of of last year , he has since let the battery go bad on his 350 Rancher 4x4 and we have yet to go riding together since he got the street bike !

I'm afraid he's going to join the " Hell's Angel's " , well i kid him about it everytime he come's over ; and i've been trying to get him to let me barrow his pull trailor so i can haul mine to the mountain's for a good long ride !

He finally told me i could barrow it , but he said it's loaded down with garbage and i would have to haul it to the dump ; and pay for dumping the garbage !

Bank to the feature the 93' Suzuki LT4WD 300 KQ may have the access cap like plate's like the Suzuki LT300E has 2 Intake and 2 Exhaust valve's , so valve access to the 93' Suzuki LT4WD 300 KQ ; i found that the quad has 2 intake and 2 exhaust valve's !

Both these engine's may have the same access cap like plate's with bolt's that hold the cap plate's bolted to the head , and does have 2 Intake and 2 Exhaust valve's ; your's should have 4 valve's like the 93' Suzuki LT4WD 300 KQ i sold to my youngest brother !

So going by this photo there is just one exhaust and one intake valve , the engine size of this Suzuki LT-4WD it has the 246cc engine so it must be the Suzuki LT-4WD 250 Quad Runner ; and the valve clearance specification for this engine are : Intake ....... 0.03 - to - 0.08 mm and ( 0.001 - to - 0.003 inch ) The Exhaust valve clearance are : 0.08 - to - 0..013 mm and ( 0.003 - to - 0.005 inch ) !

The Suzuki LT300E has a Four Stroke Air Cooled Engine with the 293cc Engine is about the same size Engine as the 93' Suzuki LT4WD 300 King Quad , and the valve clearance is the same on all 3 have the same valve spec's !

The 89' Suzuki LT4WD 250 Quad Runner : Intake ...... 0.03 - to - 0.08 mm and ( 0.001 - to - 0.003 inch ) Ezhaust ........ 0.08 to - 0.13 mm and ( 0.003 - to - 0.005 inch ) these spec's were the same on the Suzuki LT300E !

I looked on bike bandit site , but i couldn't find the schematic's for the valve's ; the only thing they had was for the compression release valve !

I called my Local AC Dealer and she told me the valve spec's were 0.003 inch for both intake valve's , and 0.004 for Both Exhaust valve's ; since she has so much experiance than any Dealer in the Country so i would go with her on this info !

When you get it running i would mix my fuel with Sea Foam , and also the engine oil this is the best fuel and oil treatment i have ever used ; with over 20 yera's in Small Engine Service and Repair and i've tried them all !

I just wish i had known of this stuff sooner , it's been on the market since 1942 and it clean's up the fuel system and combustion chamber ; and in the oil it will clean all the sludge from inside the engine and clean's every part of the engine when mixed with oil !

I haven't tried it in the oil of atv's only the fuel system , but i used it on a 88' GMC S1500 Jimmy 4x4 MPV with over 303 thousand mile's taht was smoking when i stopped at a traffic light ; when the light turned green it would give off a cloud of whitish blue smoke from the exhaust !

After having to let it sit up for over a year with a full 21 gallon's of gas at over $3.00 a gallon , i poured a whole 16 oz can of Sea Foam to keep the fuel from going bad while i was having my Transmission seal's replaced in my 87' Chevy S10 Tahoe long bed pickup with a 2.8 liter EFI engine !

After i got the truck in the shop i started saving for a timing chain and gear set , and a new $119.99 starter with the reduction gear a new flywheel $34.99 Timing set me back another $76.99 and $250.00 for the labor ; but the machanic furnished a used distribor and i had bought a new ignition module that i got back to save for later !

After i took it to a freind's shop to use his timing light to set the timing , but my freind did the work for me because i don't have leg's below the knee's ; after he set the timing i told him to bump up my low idle speed and he said it couldn't be adjusted !

He thought it would need to have a new low idle speed module in the throddle body , the guy who did the timing gear and chain set , starter and flywheel told me it would need a new one and my brother said the same thing !

I told my freind there was a cap plugged into the throddle body , and it need to be removed with an awl and a small hammer to remove it , he took a grease rag and wiped the throddle body and found the plugged cap ; after he removed it he had to go inside the shop and bring out a hand full of torx screw driver then he idled it up so the engine wouldn't stall !

I ask both the guy who did the work on the jimmy , and my freind if replacing the timing chain and gear set if it would stop the smoking ; they all told me know and after i drove it 20 mile's it started doing the smoking agaiin !

Anyway after i used a half tank of fuel , i topped off the tank at a local race trac on the way back home i had to wait on a traffic light ; when it changed to go as i gave it the throddle and looked out the driver side mirror looking for the cloud of smoke !

But this time it didn't smoke , and has been smoke free for almost 2 year's now and still no smoke ; it had to be the Sea Foam that cleaned the corbon deposit's that had built up in the combustion chamber !

I bought some Deep Creep it's the same as Sea Foam only it come's in a spray can , my lawn and garden equipment , my mom's walkbehind self propelled lawn mower taht i had to replace the fuel hose wihen it was less than a year old ; the local part's supply i bought part's for over 20 year's didn't have any part's for this mower after he looked it up in his pc !

He said he hadn't had to work on any of these model because it wasn't even a year old , i cleaned the carb and replaced the fuel primer bulb installed a new clear fuel filter and it would run for me ; but as soon as my mom or sister tried to use it it wouldn't start for anything !

I even did a valve job and it still wouldn't start for anyone , i finally removed the fuel float bowl and let the fuel drain in a clear bottle ; i could see small black spect's into the bottle so i took the fuel line loose from the carb ; and stuck my finger in the fuel line it was covered with black rubber speck's on my finger !

So i got some new fuel hose and it ran all summer , the last time it was used my sister said it was leaking gas ; so i got some new hose and hose clamp's ;!

It still didn't want to run after it ran out of primer fuel , i took the Deep Creep and sprayed , i removed the air filter and put in a new air filter and sprayed some Deep Creep into the the carb and it would start and long enough to burn the primer fuel and stall !

I mashed the primer boulb over a dozen time's but no fuel was getting to the primer blub so i sprayed the carb agin to flood it out and sprayed some into the small hole that went into the primer bulb ; and then i filled the tank up with some mixed gas from last fall and let it setup while i went up to mom's house and drunk a cap of coffee with mom !

She ask me if i got her mower going because she heard me starting it up , and the engine kept stalling i told her i had sprayed enough Deep Creep to flood the engine and fill the primer bulb and the primer tube she ask me if it was fixed ; and i told her i was letting it soak and about putting last fall's gas i had left to fill the fuel tank ! Itold her i thought it would clean the gunk that was stopping up the primer bulb and carb bowl !

I had used stabil fuel stabilizer for year's and it worked good to keep the fuel fresh longer and kept it from turing to gunk , but i alway's poured the fuel out of the lawn equipment and the fuel jug and alway's mixed it with new fuel mixed with fresh mixed with the staybil the last time they were used !

I went out to check it out mom followed me out to see if it was going to start , this time i didn't even spray it again i just put the air filter and said let's try it , i pulled the rope one time and it started right up and smoked for a fwe second's then the smoking stopped ! mom asked me if it would start for her or kim when they tried it mow with it !

I stopped the engine and told her to try it fo herself , i pushed the primer bulb and pushed it 2 time's and i could hear the primer bulb picking up the fuel this time ; and i told her to try it and it started on the first pull of the rope and engauged the self propelled shift lever and it went through the tall gas with out a whimper !

Then i got out my feather lite weedeater that i bought when they first starting selling them at walmart's supercenter that had just opened the lawn and garden , and it's over 15 years ago when i was still running my repair shop then and when someone came in with their trimmer's i was covered up in work ; so i used my poulan weed eater as a loaner untill i got their fixed !

But i alway's sold them a synthetic special blend called NO Smoke 2 stroke oil that one bottle to 1 gallon of gas , this oil worked on mix rated from 16:to 1 and 50: to 1 , i have to special order it from my main Distributer ; no other shop's carried it so i had to buy it by the case my last order i bought 3 cases so i would have it for my old customer's and my own use so i didn't have to have 3 or 4 mixed gas jug's and i wouldnt and haven't used any other 2 stroke oil's in my own equiptment with 2 stroke oil since !

After anyone has tried it they come back year after year , they all no my shop has been closed since 2000 ; but i make almost as much as much selling this oil as i did when my shop was open because i didn't charge by the hour like the other big shop's did !

It was only by the job i did , and i neve had a coustomer who call back ; because i wasn't in business for a living i was only in to it as a hobby not for the money so the hobby got out of hand with more business than i could really handle !

This is raelly long reply , i will edit most of it out in a few day ; so good luck with your quad !........