Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

z400 starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008 | 07:02 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default z400 starting problems

I have an 04 z400 and I can't get it to start. If I turn the key on i have no nuetral light and the start button doesn't do anything. The battery is brand new, the starter relay is new, and the cdi is new. I checked all the connections on the wiring harness and it seems to look ok. If I take a wrench and touch the two terminals on the starter relay it will start, but when i ride it, it only goes up to maybe half of its rpms then it starts to bog out, and once it dies i am back to square one. I am completely stumped.

Old 03-27-2008 | 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: johnmed

I have an 04 z400 and I can't get it to start. If I turn the key on i have no neutral light and the start button doesn't do anything. The battery is brand new, the starter relay is new, and the cdi is new. I checked all the connections on the wiring harness and it seems to look ok. If I take a wrench and touch the two terminals on the starter relay it will start, but when i ride it, it only goes up to maybe half of its rpms then it starts to bog out, and once it dies i am back to square one. I am completely stumped.</end quote></div>

of course the bulb could be burned out ,i have seen starter buttes fry and if you have never done a valve check i'd say its time. i would like to know what it does if you put the stock cdi on.
other things are ,is the gas cap venting ,is the air filter clean ? and how does it react on the prime setting ?

Old 03-27-2008 | 07:38 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

When i bypass the starter relay to start it all the power goes on. The new cdi is stock. As for running like crap that will be step two first I need to get the thing started. It seems like there is no power anywhere.

Old 03-27-2008 | 08:22 PM
Trailblazer

Check the fuse. I had a problem with a broken bullet connector on my ex and it was arcing to the frame wich made the fuse pop. As for the bogging, check the carb.

Old 03-27-2008 | 08:33 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Fuse is good. I wonder if it has something to do with the ignition switch or coil

Old 03-28-2008 | 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

Maybe try by-passing the switch?

Old 03-31-2008 | 04:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am having this same problem! The bike sat there running after I had washed it, slowly the green light got dimmer and dimmer. When I shut it off it would not start back up. Even with a battery charger oon it, it will not even get juice to the lights or neutral light. Its completely dead. Checked all the plugs and grounds and still nothing. Does anyone know the answer to my problem. I would highly appreciate it, and thank you. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-31-2008 | 06:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well Johnmed I asked this same question earlier today. After some close inspection I discovered that if you follow the main power wire away from the battery you will find, that right under the frame where wires go under the frame, the protective coating will be rubbed to the power wire! This shorted out 4 wires on the main harness. You can follow the brake light wire and you'll find it to. I cut sections out 1 at a time and replaced them. Taped it up real tight. And it fired right up. The more tape the better! It took me 5 or so hours to finally find it. Its tucked right up under the frame where you could never see unless you knew to look. So good luck and thank you atv connection.

Old 03-31-2008 | 11:17 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

After being frustrated all weekend i had a buddy come down and take a look. He cut all the tape off of all the wires and found a broken wire inside the tape. How that happens i have know idea. If you have a problem where you need to splice wires together instead of using electrical tape you can buy shrink tape. Basically wrap it around the wire and hit it with a lighter and its a perfect seal.

Old 04-02-2008 | 01:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

hey i had this same problem with my 05 kfx400 i rode it then put it away 2 days later i wanted to ride it and it wouldn't start id turn the key and no lights would come on like if the battery was dead but it was good, well it ended up being a wire underneath the left rear fender if you want turn the key to on and pop start it if it runs then that means its most likely something stupid like a wire or bad connection from the battery, so i would deff check all the wires good all it take sis a little kink