Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT250R rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 01:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT250R rebuild

Short story about my quad. I bought it off of a guy who knew nothing about this 250. My guess is everything he told me, he heard from whoever he bought it from. Turns out I have a '86, that sat with gas in the tank and carb for a year. I've changed the brakes, chain and sprokets, piston, a carb kit, and all the gaskets inbetween. I finally got it to idle, and rev like it should; it was runing rich before the carb kit. It'll run great for 10 minutes then stall. I'll pull the carb empty it out, and blow through the jets, then put everything together. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. I'm thinking the tank has some stuff in it that keeps gumming up the jets, but I've passed 4 tanks through it and it's still happening. I'm planning on getting a new carb, and tank once I'm back from patrol. I also need a new swingarm, since I cracked mine after chain adjustment. While I'm at it, I'll get a set of swingarms and new axle, i was thinking of going +2 for both. my question is that everything is expensive alone, but then tack on the shipping cost to Alaska. I want the best bang for my buck, as do most people, which is why I'm asking your opinions on companys to get everything from. This is my first experence with a two stroke, and racing quad, thank you for your help.

-Will

Old 08-20-2008, 09:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default LT250R rebuild

Welcome to the world of 2 strokes!!! I have a '88 that I've been restoring over the past few years. Just powdercoated the frame, replaced the frame bearings, cables, new breaks, and rebuilt the motor

Best bang for the buck...probably an aftermarket pipe and silencer...along with taking the airbox lid off...remember to rejet the main and pilot for the better breathing beast.

I've had a few issues with mine. One of them being that it is very temperature dependent. You have to jet it perfectly to even be able to start it. Another problem was a bad stator and also a bad woodruff key on the flywheel. Otherwise, it's a blast to ride, not for trail riding that's for sure.

Have fun!!

Old 08-21-2008, 09:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default LT250R rebuild

Thanks for the heads up about possible furture problems. I knoticed that most aftermarket parts are for 88 and up, is there a bigger difference between these years and mine besides the reeds are outside the jug? Also is it possible to mix and match engines from different years, like a frankenstien motor. Maybe even putting the 500 motor in a 250 frame?

Old 08-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default LT250R rebuild

Your welcome. There should be aftermarket parts available for the '85 and '86 model. Maybe someone else can help you with that. Actually, check out DennisKirk.com, they're great. I've been using them for 20+ years. I believe you can mix and match the '87 plus years as they are very similar. You can probably swap parts from an '85. The biggest difference starting in '87 is the addition of the power valve exhaust system. I'm not sure of the technical name of it right now, but you know what I mean[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I wouldn't mess with trying to put a Quadzilla motor in it. It can be done, but from what I've read you have to do some fabricating to make it work. You don't want to destroy your little piece of history do you. Instead, save up and buy a 500 later. That is probably what I'll do. Just my two cents...

Old 08-23-2008, 09:37 AM
Trailblazer
Default LT250R rebuild

Good luck with the quad....What jet do u have in it?... Is the needle valve locked in place ?( mine likes to fall out lol when im riding to fast on rough roads hehe)... The newer swing arms off the 89 etc will fit the 85 if u can fine them junked out some where they will make ya ride better...I let my 85 sit for 5 years with gas in the carb and tank just drained it out put in new (had to get pulled first time starting ) but runs like a top now..If u are planning to run mud forget cutting the top off ya air box big nono...My 91 some one had cut the top off and some how it got used to running with it off had a heck of a time jetting it to run with it back on..To much air and to much gas will hurt u more then help....HOpe this helps ya out some i be checking on ya to see how things going.....OOHHHH yeah check the pet **** out the screens maybe stopped up ....

Old 08-24-2008, 02:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default LT250R rebuild

Hey, thanks for the advice, I'm away at school right now and then I'll be on patrol when I finish here. It'll be about 2 months before i get to see my baby again, but i'll keep all this info handy for when I get back. Oh, and I stay out of the mud with this guy, I have a 4x4 for the rainy days.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Trailblazer
Default LT250R rebuild

4X4 wottttttttttt lol much better on the racer hehehe