Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Vinson Carb HELP Im lost..

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 02:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vinson Carb HELP Im lost..

Im lost on this one. I have a 2002 Vinson and it wont suck up gas from the carb. The atv was working fine shut it off and now it wont start or stay on unless the choke is on. If I put the choke off it dies out. I can spray carb cleaner into the intake then it will stay started without the choke on but once that wears off it dies out. What I also can do is manually put my hand over the intake and allow less air into the carb and it will stay started. Like manually choking it. So I figured I can do this with the choke off so it must be pulling the fuel from the pilot or main jet. Here is what I have done so far. I have taken the carb apart about 12 times now and cleaned it, soaked it, blew compressed air through it. All the jets are clean. I have checked the level of the gas in the bowl using a clear line on the bottom of the carb fuel drain and it sits about where the bottom bowl meets with the carb housing. The fuel comming out of the petcock is flowing allot.
Here is what i have to do still: I have to check the compression in the motor. I have to get an adapter for my compression tester for the small spark plug suzuki uses. Do you think this could be a problem as it seems to be sucking hard . Also what is a good compression amount?

Another thing is the air diaphram when I take it out and the pin:: there is a brass bushing on the inside of the throat of the carb. that piece just falls out. Should that be tight in there?

Another thing should the petcock/pulser be under pressure? The fuel does come out of there just fine just doesnt seem like there is a difference with the engine turning over or just turning it on. Just didnt make any sense to have a pulser and not have it pressurized.

thats about all I have. I have the carb soaking again right now and Im lost. Any help would be appreciated as I have never had a carb work me over like this.

Old 10-12-2008, 03:47 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Use this method with a wire when cleaning a carb. sometime soaking and air is not enough to clear passages. http://www.ripperd.com/ftp/admins/carb_rebuild/

Old 10-12-2008, 08:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

I got it fixed. turned out to be something stuck in one of the air passageways in the carb. It would blow air through it but not at the level it needed to work properly. I had to use one strand from a steel cable cause that was the only thing small enough.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Trailblazer

I am having a VERY similar problem. Mine will not start unless I "hand choke" it. Can you describe to me what you did or is there a link to it? I am not very mechanical but can follow directions very well. Thanks

Old 11-04-2008, 09:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Have you rebuilt the carb yet? Mine would not stay started before this and would backfire all the time. Now it starts right up and does not backfire I had to soaked mine overnight the first day and make sure you check the screen that goes into the carb. I took mine out and put in an inline filter instead. The carb need to be as clean as possible. If your having to hand choke it its either a really clogged jet or jets or low compression in the motor. The easiest is to pull the carb and clean it out. Take it apart and soak it overnight in gas and mixture of carb cleaner. I used gas and walmart Fuel injection cleaner at 98 cents a bottle and used 2 of them. Not as good as the gallon jug of carb cleaner with a basket but I didnt want to spend over 20.00 on that. Once you have the carbs clean then used compressed air and blow out all the passages.

Pull the fuel tank also and turn it over and remove the fuel selector valve. Make sure its clean and the screens on the pickups in the tank are clean. Also take the line off the carb that comes from the fuel selector valve to make sure fuel is flowing from it. Should poor out of there pretty good. Might have to turn the motor over while checking. If not then you have a problem with the selector valve.