Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Has anyone ever successfully rebuilt a LT4WD or LTF4WDX rear u-joint?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 06:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone ever successfully rebuilt a LT4WD or LTF4WDX rear u-joint?

Suzuki wants 200+ for the package
Bikebandit wants 120ish for the inner u-joint(the one I need)
The ATV salvage yard wants $85
One went off on ebay last night for $61 (I shoulda bought it for the buy it now of $59)

With the help of my 20ton shop press and a cut off wheel, I've managed to get the old u-joint out.

With the help of a high speed carbide bit(f'n awesome), I cleaned up the bore and it measured out to .870 which matches the outter diameter of the old needle bearing hoursing.

So now I guess I have to find a u-joint that will somewhat work. My guess is if I can't get one to clip in, atleast I'll find one that fits and weld it in.

So has anyone ever got this to work? How did you do it?

Old 11-23-2008, 09:55 PM
Range Rover

I have weld joints in. Have you tried any aftermarket parts. I live in a small town and both auto parts stores can order aftermarket parts. The catalog I have is from a company called QUAD ONE and it shows u-joints for Suzuki. Most dealers can order aftermarket parts also. The local Honda website has links to online catalogs too. Maybe this will help.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a guy who goes by Dan"the CV Man" who sells atv cv assemblies for all brands and models and he also is a member on these forums , who does very good work rebuilding them and cheaper that i've seen them anywhere ; he also has a very good rep for doing as good of a job rebuilding them as good as any manufacturer !

You just send your old ones into him , so there's no core charge up front , i've saved this info because if and when i have one go out i plan to purchase them from him ; worth checking into to them you could get the complete inner and outter's for what other's get for just the one !

I hope this helps you out , when he get's them in he has the know how to probably to whatever customizing that you would need done , anyhow good luck and i hope you can save some money to pay for the high gas prices that are sure to go back up before or after Christmas !..........

Old 11-25-2008, 12:16 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the input Williebee. I'm sure your contact would do a wonderful job but I'm a DIY'r. If I don't have the tool to fix something I'll buy it and try it till I get it.

Sisco1957 - anymore info on how you used the weld joints. I couldn't find much info on the net about them. What I did find showed that they were meant for steering and not drivetrain.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:10 PM
Range Rover

vdubspeed, I sent you a pm.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just got an 87 lt 4wd about a month ago. Both inner rear u-joints were shot. Just like you I didn't want to shell out the money for an old machine. Double all part prices when you are in canada. I found a really good replacement. The manufacturer I believe is ISR (not 100% sure). The part # is ATV401. This joint has internal snap rings. The originals are staked in. Once i got the old ones out. I used my dremel to carefully grind off the staking. Then just installed the new joints and put in the clips. The joint is a perfect fit and runs great in the machine.
Hope this helps

Old 11-28-2008, 09:38 AM
Trailblazer

Bill - I couldn't find that u-joint. You wouldn't happen to have a link would ya?

In other news...I sold out. I found a brand new Suzuki joint/yokes on ebay and he had it listed for $100. I made an offer of $50 and it worked!

So for now I'll install the new joint but I would like to build a spare one time.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

I don't have a link I just took the whole piece of the axle to a driveline shop and they set me up. It was about $35.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

if you google "Moose U-Joint ATV401" you will find the exact part for $16.95
Denniskirk is the retailer